Ground Handling

severniae

Ground Handling

Post by severniae » 13 Oct 2016, 14:49

Hi,

I've got the AN-2 - Great aircraft...BUT one major problem is it's ground handling.

Does anyone have any CFG edits that make it a bit easier to handle on the ground. It should pivot around the main gear easily with one wheel locked. But it just loses all forward momentum and I need far more power than should be necessary to make even a relatively shallow ground turn. I'd rather avoid editing the tailwheel to be steerable via the rudder if possible. I tried tweaking the toe brake sensitivity in the aircraft.cfg but it made the problem even worse...

snave

Re: Ground Handling

Post by snave » 16 Oct 2016, 21:24

To save you time, and us trouble, please use the search before repetitive question

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1112

Tailwheel IS steerable, you just haven't activated it properly.
Simon Evans

severniae

Post by severniae » 17 Oct 2016, 17:40

Thanks Snave for the response, though if you had taken the time to read my post you'd see I've tried both suggestions in that post before... I don't really want to have a steerable tail wheel. I know how to do that and if I have to I suppose I will, but I'd rather have realistic castering operation...

I also tried the toe breaking sensitivity and it just seemed to exacerbate the problem...

So the question was, bearing in mind the above, are there any other tweaks the knowledgeable people out there know about that make the aircraft more controllable on the ground that don't either resort to making the tail steerable, or making the wheel brakes so effective the aircraft noses over each time they are used!

snave

Post by snave » 19 Oct 2016, 02:37

No aircraft pivots around a locked wheel - that way disaster lies as you strip the tyre from the rim. And that's as true for the AN-2 as for a B747.

So your fundamental problem lies with your braking, not your steering. Taildraggers can be persuaded to lift some weight off the back end by the single solution of using some down elevator. The AN-2 is no different.

Thereafter the issue is with your control of the steering and braking, not the power of the braking itself. As you provide no information about controls or controllers, the only thing to suggest is that you learn to control the braking better, after confirming that you have actually applied the correct switches to unlock the tail wheel, and allow free castoring which is included by default and works perfectly - when switched on correctly.

Not only did I read your earlier post, I noted the fundamental errors of not reading the manual, and not detailing the hardware. Add the poor presentation of the issue and its difficult to be able to advise anything else...

The only
Simon Evans

severniae

Post by severniae » 19 Oct 2016, 12:59

Simon, I don't want to argue. Perhaps we got off to a bad start.

I'm using full CH yoke + rudder pedals. Properly calibrated.

I have tried using some forward elevator, and it does seem to alleviate the issue, if not correct it. It's almost like the aircraft just doesn't want to pivot around the gear that is braked, and wants to straighten itself up. In real A/C this is not the same behaviour. I know FSX has some inherent ground friction issues (alleviated somewhat by FSUIPC) however, I'm able to use other free castoring draggers in fsx without much issue. As you asked I can confirm that the switch for tail wheel lock is in the unlocked position.

My basic question was - has anybody managed to find a suitable set of tweaks (other than those provided in your link) that help with the issue? It's manageable at the moment, and I can manage to taxi around, it's just not quite there yet as far as true operation should be.

By the way as a bonus story re: locked main gear - I've got some time on real tail draggers, and every instructor advises "NEVER LET ONE WHEEL LOCK!" for the good reason you mentioned above. I remember watching a chipmonk at a gliding club doing a tail swing when coming in to park, the club's mechanic was watching with eagle eyes. Of course, the pilot locked the wheel, and the mechanic ran at him and gave him every expletive under the sun! Trust me, these things WILL pivot around the main gear, but don't expect to do it without receiving a black eye from the local irate mechanic! ;-)

snave

Post by snave » 20 Oct 2016, 19:00

The issue is as you say related to the ground friction defined within the sim itself, and FSUIPC can affect most things, but not this one - the issue isn't one of typical `friction in the fore/aft plane versus the lateral one` that FSUIPC and sim1.dll revisions set out to address, it's in the rotational plane where the weight on the tailwheel will not allow a castoring tailwheel to begin rotation without sufficient forward speed.

Assuming you are using airfile 2.3 and if your rudder pedals are calibrate and working at `100/100` (100 % of travel equals 100% of virtual equivalent) you might try moving the wheel contact points outboard a few percentage points at a time - this will provide greater offset for the individual brakes, but you still will be faced with the requirement to get the aircraft moving to actually make a turn, but you'd be on your own with this as I always treated the Antonov as being a typical taildragger bugger and use `gas it, elevator and rudder` to unsubtley bang it round in tight spaces.
Simon Evans

severniae

Post by severniae » 07 Apr 2017, 20:03

snave wrote:The issue is as you say related to the ground friction defined within the sim itself, and FSUIPC can affect most things, but not this one - the issue isn't one of typical `friction in the fore/aft plane versus the lateral one` that FSUIPC and sim1.dll revisions set out to address, it's in the rotational plane where the weight on the tailwheel will not allow a castoring tailwheel to begin rotation without sufficient forward speed.

Assuming you are using airfile 2.3 and if your rudder pedals are calibrate and working at `100/100` (100 % of travel equals 100% of virtual equivalent) you might try moving the wheel contact points outboard a few percentage points at a time - this will provide greater offset for the individual brakes, but you still will be faced with the requirement to get the aircraft moving to actually make a turn, but you'd be on your own with this as I always treated the Antonov as being a typical taildragger bugger and use `gas it, elevator and rudder` to unsubtley bang it round in tight spaces.
Sorry it took some time to get back to you on this - real life gets in the way sometimes!!

When you say move the wheel contact points, do you know which values I need to play with?

Thanks
James