I finally found the "key" - "b"-version no more overpowered

All problems and technical questions concerning our products are discussed here.
Sebastian

I finally found the "key" - "b"-version no more overpowered

Post by Sebastian » 29 Aug 2008, 13:33

You will find an old thread covering the same problem and since that thread I have spent hours and hours to find a solution for the "b"-version and her rocket-style power. I found a safir flight manual and it is stated that a safir should climb with 4.5 m/s at MSL. The Sibwings safir "b" actually can climb with 11 m/s in calm conditions. That is more than 2000 feet per minute!! No Siat Marchetti nor any tubro-charged Cessna would reach such climb rates. Further more, the cruise speed should be around 175 kph, but these were hardly reached.

Now, after more than a year, I found the reason why the finnish "d"-version flies much more by the numbers and the "b"-one being so overpowered.

This is the solution:

Download AirED and AAM from FS Dossier (google for it), these are tools to edit airfiles.

Open the airfile of the "d"(!!!)-safir using AirED and copy tables 508, 511 and 512 (copy to clibboard function with right mouse click) into the airfile of the "b"-safir (right mouse click over the respective tables and then click "replace from clipboard"). Save & exit. Please don`t forget to make a backup first...

Then you open table 508 using AAM (!) and klick on the last point on x-axis in that table. Set the last point to Y=0.49 (leave X fixed as it is) and then you alter the point between that last point and the peak point so that you see something like a straight line (again, only edit the y value, not the x, so leave x fixed). After that you should raise the y value a little bit so that you see a very slight convex curve. Something around 6.9 will work fine.

Now, you climb with 6 m/s (a little bit overpower is o.k. for me, imagine a fesh new engine and light weights for this acrobatic plane) and top speeds are around 170 kph. It would be easy to cut a bit power so that 4.5 m/s and 175 kph would be the marigns.

I love the "b"-one most, to me it is the most beautiful safir and of course, I fly the D-EREK sheme. The nicest repaint I have ever seen.

Please don`t ask me to upload the airfile somewhere, I don`t want to hurt copyright protections! It is easily done, believe in me. Even I was able to do that... ;)

Further more, take-off roll now seems to be quite realistic with something around 500 meters (number from the official manual for sea level, 15 degrees celsius). Departing from SABA (Fly Tampa St. Maarten) now you can get into serious trouble as the RWY there is just 400 meters in lenghts... ;)

Now as I found some "wheels to turn" for improvements I will still finetune the values. Perhaps, I will attach a screenshot of my 508-table.

P.S.
The tester`s forum is still calm, isn`t there anything new about the D-EBED project?

EDIT: Better use AirED for Airfile-editing here than FS Dossier AAM. Aired has the clipboard-function. I suggest to open Aired twice as you are able then to paste and copy from one airfile to the other.

EDIT 2
Greetings from the Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Sebastian

Voyager30

Re: I finally found the "key" - "b"-version no more overpowered

Post by Voyager30 » 30 Aug 2008, 22:37

Thanks a lot for this post.
I have tweaked my air file and se if comes closer to my felling from the real b-model

Regards

Gerth

Sebastian

Re: I finally found the "key" - "b"-version no more overpowered

Post by Sebastian » 01 Sep 2008, 15:58

You could simply copy the three tables with AirEd from either the "C" oder the "D" and you will get the performance of the "C" with your "B". Important: This only affects the power settings, not the flight model! From what I`ve read all Safirs should reach higher maximum top-speeds so it`s up to you to change the down-falling curve in table 508 of the airfile so that it suits your taste or feel of the real plane. It affects the maximum power to a certain rpm-setting. Maximum rpm are about 2500 so the value between 2000 and 2800 (the two last X-values of that graph) will determine top-speed and climb speed.
Greetings from the Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Sebastian

Andrej1972

Re: I finally found the "key" - "b"-version no more overpowe

Post by Andrej1972 » 06 Sep 2014, 20:55

Hi Sebastian,

After so many years I can confirm that your tweak on Safir B made the trick. Now its flight model is really near to the other versions. I am still using FS9, since I have so many addons for it, and do not feel I wish to spend days, and weeks to tweak FSX to be playable. I am usually flying in Alaska (Tongass & Glacier Bay) or in Germany (Scenery Germany 4 & Mega Airport Frankfurt). I have just discovered the Safir and after the tweak the B version (D-EREK) is my favorite.

Happy flying.