B-version over-powered?

All problems and technical questions concerning our products are discussed here.
Sebastian

B-version over-powered?

Post by Sebastian » 15 Jun 2007, 03:36

There`re several subtile differences between the "b", "c" and "d" flight model, we discussed that earlier.

Today, I got some input from a real world safir pilot and he mentioned something concerning the "b" one being overpowered. Then I did some tests and compared the different variants (I fly the D-EREK nearly all the time) and the difference between the "b" and the other safirs is really hugh.

I know the "b" has less weight, less fuel capacity with just one tank in the fuselage and so on. But I wonder why the "b" is so more powerful during take-off and climb since the structural and engine differences to the "c"-variant aren`t that big. I reach 150 km/h very much earlier than with the "c" for example and I can climb with 10 m/s and even more keeping 150 km/h. The "c" one feels to be much less powered as it never comes even close to the "b"-performance. Acceleration, climb and cruise-speed are much higher with the "b". And I am not talking about slight differences in this case, so I am curious whether this is intented. Not to mention that the "b" has about 10 horsepowers less than the "d"...
Last edited by Sebastian on 09 Nov 2008, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from the Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Sebastian

Voyager30

Post by Voyager30 » 15 Jun 2007, 17:43

Hi Sebastian.

Your feel about the weight / power ratio on the B-model is quite right.
The real B-safir should have a thrust setting more like the C-model IRL.

I have pointed out this to the developers and they have answerd that it might be looked into during a SP2 revision.

For the moment is there and our attention on development of the D-EBED model.

Regards

Gerth

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 16 Jun 2007, 03:53

I see.

On the other hand I found this review:

http://www.simflight.de/modules.php?nam ... e&sid=7396

telling me that the swiss "d" would be underpowered. Roll for take-off about 50 meters too long, cruise speed 90 kn instead of 105 - all with an higher powered engine.

Now my question as I am a bit impatient, waiting for an update with the uncertain expectation that this will be fixed I want to ask now:

What are you suggesting as an hotfix? Tuning the piston-power-ratio down for the "b" and up for the swiss "d" might help. My favorite is the "b", so my main-attention lies on a more realistic recreation of its peformance.

Sebastian

snave

Post by snave » 16 Jun 2007, 23:41

You have to watch for cause and effect with that kind of tuning - it affects more than just the parameter you are physically altering, such is the interaction between the flight moel and the .cfg file. If you do go don that route, make certain that you make changes ONLY in small steps, ONLY one parameter at a time, and ALWAYS test on a flight that you have complete consistency in.

You obviously might start by simply noting the difference between the respective aircraft.cfg files and seeing if you can deduce what a reasonable setting might be for the B. Or you could simply raise the weight of the `B` model in the loadouts. :(
Simon Evans

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 31 Jul 2007, 16:31

The beast is tamed...

I use the airfile (not aircraft.cfg) from the c-version and the b flies much more according to its specification (climbing at about 4,7 m/s), top speed slightly more than 250 kph.

What are the differences between these files? Concerning weight and power I haven`t found any differences in the aircraft.cfg. Are there any new problems to expect from this tweak?

Sebastian