Tramsponder minor `issue`

All problems and technical questions concerning our products are discussed here.
snave

Tramsponder minor `issue`

Post by snave » 06 Sep 2006, 01:07

Not sure whether this is a bug or your intention, but the Transponder codes must be input manually and cannot be auto-copied by acknowledging ATC transmission.
Simon Evans

6297J

Post by 6297J » 06 Sep 2006, 01:09

Thats not a bug, that's an improvement.

snave

Post by snave » 06 Sep 2006, 03:38

Normally, I'd agree, but the VC is no place to be `reaching` all the way across to the other side of the cokcpit to make knob-twiddling changes when you've just been asked by ATC to drop to 3,000, make a turn to 120 and keep an eye on the Cessna at 8 o'clock...

Then, it's just a pain in the Safir... :P
Simon Evans

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 06 Sep 2006, 04:51

snave wrote:Normally, I'd agree, but the VC is no place to be `reaching` all the way across to the other side of the cokcpit to make knob-twiddling changes when you've just been asked by ATC to drop to 3,000, make a turn to 120 and keep an eye on the Cessna at 8 o'clock...

Then, it's just a pain in the Safir... :P
Hmmmm...... As Real As It Gets........... Got to love it! :lol: :roll:

RobdeVries

Post by RobdeVries » 06 Sep 2006, 10:10

If you have Active Camera you can make special view position (.acv) for these kind of activities. I however use TrackIR4 so no problems here :D :-D
All the best,

Rob

DNovet

Post by DNovet » 06 Sep 2006, 13:13

Simon,

If the situation you describe would happen in real-life, in my opinion, something went wrong... ;)

On a more serious note:
I am also a user of TrackIR and I requested that the individual gauges are being produced as 2D, so they can be undocked and also moved to somewhere convenient.
Problem is in the software, believe me, and it will take some time, but the team has signaled willingness to that...

Cheers,

Daniel

snave

Post by snave » 06 Sep 2006, 14:04

Yes, I have both Active Camera and Track IR4, and it is possible to do it with TrackIR, but it's one of those standard MSFS conventions that has stood the test of time and I don't necessarily see the point of change for change's sake.

Granted, there isn't much in the way of sophisticated avioinics in these birds - well some of them don't have any navaids other than a compass and the handheld GPS! - so there's not a lot of knob-twiddling going on in-cockpit, but the location of the transponder means that ONLY Active Camera and TrackIR users are going to have an easy time of it and unlike in real flying, there are no cues that you are no longer flying straight & level when you look down/zoom in to change the code - twice now I've come back to `face forward` to find myself 20 degrees off course, in a bank, and descending or climbing - and I've got Track IR and know how to use it!
Simon Evans

Bill Womack

Post by Bill Womack » 17 Sep 2006, 08:50

I'd like to add that I have a TrackIR too, and agree with Simon 100% on the problem of losing situational awareness when twiddling with the knobs on the Xponder. Here's another situation that's foiled by the particular programming of this unit: I've also got a GoFlight radio stack, including a transponder. You can't get much more real than actually reaching over and twisting the knobs to change your squawk code, but that doesn't work with this layout either. Because the default methods for capturing input don't work, my lovely radio stack is useless for transponder functions as well. Curiously, it works fine for the radio frequencies, so clearly it's not impossible to do. I'd urge the devs to seriously consider altering this bit of programming to allow for programatically setting the squawk.

thanks,
Bill Womack
Visit my FS Blog!

DrZGard

Post by DrZGard » 17 Sep 2006, 20:19

I'll second Bill and Simon on this. The present Comm radios (both types), Gyro and Omni are all tunable via key strokes which also enables them for ACP and GoFlight equipment. The addition of programming so that the Nav radio and transponder respond to key strokes would allow those purchasers that also own expensive hardware to use it with the Safir. It also would enable the autotune feature for the transponder when using default ATC.
Regards,