Altitude corrector

sdflyer

Altitude corrector

Post by sdflyer » 21 Jun 2013, 19:32

I can only relate altitude corrector to the mixture control which I familiar with. No matter how I adjust altitude corrector it does nothing to the engine performance. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

snave

Re: Altitude corrector

Post by snave » 21 Jun 2013, 21:22

User Guide, p24
Actually the An-2’s pilots use altitude corrector very rare, on some airplanes it was even sealed in FULL RICH position

Flying Guide v1.1. p3
You don’t need to worry about mixture as the engine is equipped with automatic mixture control when the lever is
in the open position.

So you wouldn't see a change. You can only get the best out of this aircraft from reading the manuals.

Also what is your mixture setting in FSX menu options?
Simon Evans

sieggie

Post by sieggie » 21 Jun 2013, 22:55

The Mixture setting in the Options should not matter as the Aircraft.cfg is configured for automixure.

Dave

froggy

Post by froggy » 22 Jun 2013, 09:47

There somethings maybe need to be clarified about mixture i guess.
-In User Guide, they said to disable automixture in FSX engine settings.
-As Dave said " Aircraft.cfg is configured for automixure"?
I have take a look at .air file's & theres no entry for mixture.
Maybe it was controlled by the AN-2 Swan2.DLL gauge?
-
Actually the An-2’s pilots use altitude corrector very rare, on some airplanes it was even sealed in FULL RICH position
Is this pilots flying always under 3000 feet, so no need to worry about mixture i guess?
But if this plane could reach 14000 feet, i hardly figure out not to have to adjust your mixture somewhere?
-
You don’t need to worry about mixture as the engine is equipped with automatic mixture control when the lever is
in the open position.
As this refer to the "AN-2 Flying Guide V1.1 PDF by Alexander Metzger" & not the User Guide, is he talking about the mixture lever or the fuel cutt off lever?
In User Guide the fuel cutt off lever (83) is the only one to have a "open/close" positions choice.
Far as i know we talking about % for mixture lever (78).

BTW, it look a bit the same for carburator heat, even if i see the gauge needle moving, i cant noticed any effect on the engine behavior?
Theres no carburator heat entry in air.file also?

Regards

snave

Post by snave » 22 Jun 2013, 11:32

I'm not sure you have a focus to your question?

Delving into the .air file is a role for an expert as many external factors can influence, modify or take over the role of it.

But the fundamental issue is that you don't seem to understand the Wright R-1820, the engine on which the ASh-62 is based.
It was equipped with a rudimentary auto-mixture arrangement for the downdraft carburettor.

I assume the ASh-62 does too.
Simon Evans

froggy

Post by froggy » 22 Jun 2013, 13:33

a rudimentary auto-mixture arrangement for the downdraft carburettor
This is an aneroid valve Altitude Compensator, but my question was more about if it was simulated somewhere than arguing about my knowledge of the Wright R-1820 or the ASh-62 engines.

Take care

alpha charlie

Post by alpha charlie » 22 Jun 2013, 13:34

snave wrote:I assume the ASh-62 does too.
Exactly.

@froggy
In aircraft.cfg:
fuel_air_auto_mixture= 1

I recommend to check the real plane's flight manual available in English. The link can be found elsewhere in this forum.

froggy

Post by froggy » 22 Jun 2013, 14:33

fuel_air_auto_mixture= 1
Thanks,i see,it takes only this entry.
Correct me if i am wrong, but it looks to overide FSX settings.
I recommend to check the real plane's flight manual available in English. The link can be found elsewhere in this forum.
Thanks for the heads up, i already got it. Very instructive.
An aircraft particular to fly whit, plenty of cachet, i love the engine sound.

Regards

André

alpha charlie

Post by alpha charlie » 22 Jun 2013, 14:58

froggy wrote: Correct me if i am wrong, but it looks to overide FSX settings.
AFAIK what that realism setting in FSX does is turn on/off automixture for the aircraft that do not have it by design.

snave

Post by snave » 22 Jun 2013, 15:45

Both of you are partly correct.

It's not overriding FSX setting, it IS an FSX setting, available generically through the automixture setting in menu for all aircraft application, or in aircraft-specific form per the aircraft .cfg.

So froggy is right that it overwrites the generic checkbox option and you are right in that is turns on/off the automixture setting, but it doesn't read anything, it's a boolean that will cause problems if used inappropriately in an aircraft .cfg that doesn't need it because there's a fde intercept in, say, a gauge.

A good example is the early WOP Mustang that used the FSX automixture via fuel_air_auto_mixture= 1 in the aircraft ,cfg so it dodn't matter what the checkbox automixture setting was. The later Accusimmed Mustang MUST have fuel_air_auto_mixture= 0 as the advanced fde uses outside FSX variables to more accurately create the automixture that was a real factor on the P-51.

The AN-2 is more dumptruck than racecar (no offence Antonov; dumptrucks serve a useful purpose, race cars don't :) ), so the generic mixture control is more than adequate for the purpose, but only Alexander will know whether the FDE adapts or manipulates this setting, or just uses it.
Simon Evans

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 22 Jun 2013, 20:29

I admit, we only used the overwriting effect so that it basically runs in auto mixture . Simulating the original function would have required custom coding on this item and my technical resource confirmed they fly always in auto mixture. So we decided to use the default functionality.
Happy flying!
Alexander

sieggie

Post by sieggie » 23 Jun 2013, 00:51

Anyone who does not like automix need simply change the 1 to a 0 in the Fuel_air_auto-mixture and the mixture lever will function. You will need to tune up your hearing though as it is tricky to hear when the engine is leaned correctly :)

Dave

froggy

Post by froggy » 23 Jun 2013, 07:48

I admit, we only used the overwriting effect so that it basically runs in auto mixture . Simulating the original function would have required custom coding on this item and my technical resource confirmed they fly always in auto mixture. So we decided to use the default functionality.
Thanks Alexander for the clarification, i appreciate.
For sure it would be complicated to found a way to reproduce exactly this system in FSX.
As i am seeing it (maybe i am wrong) in real life the automixture was enable only at full rich, but you still could lean & takeover the valve Altitude Compensator when its needed, example when temperature is below -20c, to keep the CHT in specs, even with cowl flaps closed, it must be needed i guess.

Thanks for your great work.

Regards

André

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » 23 Jun 2013, 09:52

Ok so I need to change aircraft cfg then?

I've seen Antonov 2 at Big Bear airport L35, so i figured there must have been some kind of altitude correction due to elevation?

sdflyer

Post by sdflyer » 23 Jun 2013, 10:21

snave wrote:
So you wouldn't see a change. You can only get the best out of this aircraft from reading the manuals.

Also what is your mixture setting in FSX menu options?
I got best from my family Snave. My grand father build the first Antonov 2 prototype at Novosibirsk.

I use manual mixture in FSX.

froggy

Post by froggy » 27 Jun 2013, 04:57

As many of you, I am torn to have choose between enable or not automatic mixture.
Then why not enjoy the best of both world.
How, with a simple small .XML gauge i did for myself which allows automatic mixture without taking away the possibility of making it manually.

Heres a little summary & description of it.

This gauge purpose is to offer the auto-mixture controls settings, including a fully functional manual mixture control.
Its calibrated range of operation is from 0 to 14750ft/4500 meter & between 25.00HG to 35.00HG (846 to 1186 millibar) air density.
It mean than at 0 FEET/METER ALT & 35.00Hg/1186 millibar, the auto-mixture will be at 100%.
It emulate the checked "Enable automixture" setting on the FSX "Aircraft/Realism Settings" menu.

I still searching a way to make one working invisibly in background enabling the automixture only when the mixture lever is at 100%.

Maybe some of you would like to enjoy it too.
For those of you who would like to give it a try,all infos & instructions how it work are included in this little zip file.

Link to download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ipz1w12tbd5yx1a

Happy flying!

Regards

André

alpha charlie

Post by alpha charlie » 27 Jun 2013, 13:02

Thanks for your effort, froggy!
Here's how it works in reality. In carburetor there's an aneroid chamber connected to a needle that controls fuel-to-air ratio. Using the manual control lever you can move the whole aneroid/needle assembly effectively leaning the mixture even further, at the same time retaining automatic operation.

froggy

Post by froggy » 27 Jun 2013, 13:39

Using the manual control lever you can move the whole aneroid/needle assembly effectively leaning the mixture even further, at the same time retaining automatic operation.
Is there a specific lever position for automatic operation?
I suppose than it was at full rich position,lever full down in the AN-2 case,maybe a notch under?
effectively leaning the mixture even further
is it possible also to enrich?
I guess yes.

Thanks

Regards