Smoke, smoke and more smoke.

Ron Attwood

Smoke, smoke and more smoke.

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2013, 02:11

It's a weird thing but when flying online, other people are saying to me "You're belching black smoke!" I look at my plane from the outside---no smoke! It seems as if the production of smoke, whether black or grey, is a bit haphazard.
We all (people online) confirm that the throttle is reduced, the cowl flaps are at 100% open, as is the oil cooler flaps. Aircraft have been cleaned up after take off. We are puzzled.
So, what triggers smoke? Can it be turned off? Because at close quarters it almost brings my machine (not 7 stone weakling) to it's knees.
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

ncooper

Re: Smoke, smoke and more smoke.

Post by ncooper » 14 Jun 2013, 02:33

Fsx multiplayer has more bugs than an ant colony and this is one of them.
As there is no [Smokesystem] entry in the aircraft.cfg file, I expect that the rather sophisticated smoke control
is in the aircraft model, so the best way to stop it is to move or rename the relevant effects files on all the players'
PCs before a flight is attempted.
They all start with fx_AN2_ and you should deal with all references to smoke and flames.
We have had the same problem and solved it this way.
This is not a new phenomenon and affects several aircraft models, it is a fault in FSX, not in this excellent model.
Last edited by ncooper on 14 Jun 2013, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2013, 02:37

Never, ever seen it before and 90% of my flying is online. :?
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 14 Jun 2013, 02:43

We have seen it many times, perhaps because we have used a wider variety of aircraft models.
For some reason, FSX appears to transmit the smoke off signal as smoke on, again, only with some
aircraft models.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2013, 03:56

A wider variety than what? :wink: We use practically every GA plane going, from the A2A Cub to Realair's Turbine Duke. Admittedly we don't use tube liners. Maybe it's those that smoke. The only smoke we've ever seen is that which we can switch on and off. Is that what you're thinking of? I'm talking about 'engine going bad' type smoke and something is amiss that triggers that smoke. Deleting files shouldn't be the answer.

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 14 Jun 2013, 10:06

Sorry, I was trying to offer a solution.
I bow to your vast experience and
greater knowledge.
Meanwhile, we will fly without smoke.

rosborne

Post by rosborne » 14 Jun 2013, 16:10

ncooper wrote: I bow to your vast experience and
greater knowledge.
That is exactly what I think you should do...

Bravo.

JohnMD

Post by JohnMD » 15 Jun 2013, 08:44

To those of you that are having issues with the huge amount of smoke billowing out of the aircraft, I found that by opening the cowl flaps to 100% it gets rid of it, and you are then left with a faint trail of engine exhaust smoke which I find I can live with, and saves one from removing the smoke effects from the FSX effects folder.

regards

John MD

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 15 Jun 2013, 16:32

Thanks John, but as I said in the OP, the cowl flaps are open 100% but other users report smoke from me and vice versa. They swear their cowl flaps are 100% open as well. So there are some mixed messages somewhere along the line. Doubtless Alex or Andrey will be along any moment to shed some light on this. :)

511Flyer

Post by 511Flyer » 15 Jun 2013, 18:02

I'd just like to say in Nick's defence. I'm also a member of the VFR Flyers, the group to which he refers. We've been together for nearly 10 years now, so we are also very experienced and knowledgable. Our "Club" aircraft is the RealAir SF-260, and we all have our own personal texture. This aircraft, with tricolour smoke added, is one that can give us problems. Some see the smoke. Some don't!

It is a fact that MP plays tricks with some aircraft. This is borne out by the fact that some designers build models that are said to be MP friendly.

I also think it's extremely bad mannered to ridicule somebody who is merely trying to help a fellow simmer.

I apologise for going off topic, but I felt compelled to reply to what I see as an uncalled for comment.

Dennis Williams.

rosborne

Post by rosborne » 15 Jun 2013, 21:54

511Flyer wrote:Some see the smoke. Some don't!

It is a fact that MP plays tricks with some aircraft. This is borne out by the fact that some designers build models that are said to be MP friendly.
I think those of us who multiplay are clear on this. The Extra being an example. And the YMF-5 another. Both can appear with the smoke on even tho it is off.

That isn't the case here.

I know Ron is merely seeking a solution / work-around... he merely asked a simple question to ncooper (to date there has been no response) so I don't get the injection of the emotional baggage by ncooper.
511Flyer wrote: I also think it's extremely bad mannered to ridicule somebody who is merely trying to help a fellow simmer.

Who ridiculed who?

"Nick's" little gibe toward Ron was totally uncalled for...
511Flyer wrote: I apologise for going off topic, but I felt compelled to reply to what I see as an uncalled for comment.
No apologies from me... but I too feel compelled to address your comments, Dennis (as I did earlier w/ ncooper)... btw... fwiw, my comment to him was sincere.

Rob O.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 15 Jun 2013, 23:45

Best call a halt on this topic now. No response from anyone 'in the know' and it's starting to get a bit 'AVSIM' . Thanks Rob for riding to my defence. :grin:
Let's all shake hands and go for a beer. :wink:

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 16 Jun 2013, 00:04

Ron Attwood wrote:Best call a halt on this topic now. No response from anyone 'in the know' and it's starting to get a bit 'AVSIM' . Thanks Rob for riding to my defence. :grin:
Let's all shake hands and go for a beer. :wink:
Agreed, sir.
My thanks to Dennis.
Let's await a solution, if there is one, from the authors of this excellent aircraft.

Regards,
Nick.