Flight dynamics update V2.3 - public beta testing

metzgergva

Flight dynamics update V2.3 - public beta testing

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 19:14

I would like to ask you for feedback on the changes I have made so far. Therefore I put this out as public beta testing to get feedback by a larger customer base. Please read the installation instructions below to assure that things will be properly installed.
Thank you!

The zip file contains an updated flight dynamic Version 2.3 - Uploaded October 22, 08:00

Improvements:
- even less power needed to start rolling
- even faster reaction on differential braking
- even less power needed in turns

- tail wheel more resistant to g-forces (can stand a drop from a one feet altitude)
- cylinder head and oil temperature adjustments (influencing oil temperature by oil door shutter position will follow later)
- a bit more agile in flight
- Take off run and initial climb reduced to real values
Installation:

Download the file from this link:
http://metzgergva.de/Antonov_AN2_v2.3_FDX_update.zip

Unzip the files into the folder called "SibWings_Antonov_2". The originally released files are included and renamed to "xxx - Copy release.xxx"

The new aircraft.cfg contains only the original livery references. If you have added liveries, save first your aircraft.cfg at a safe place. To use your additional livery you need to add them yourself and update the line:
sim=Antonov_AN2_v2.1
by
sim=Antonov_AN2_v2.3
Last edited by metzgergva on 22 Oct 2013, 10:01, edited 3 times in total.
Happy flying!
Alexander

snave

Re: Flight dynamics update V2.2 - public beta testing

Post by snave » 09 Jun 2013, 21:21

Quick test shows there might now be too much rudder authority - it's out of step with elevator on steep banked turns and seems to have too much power too soon when power is applied.

Still don't think the castoring is properly represented (although I have no time in AN-2's, as you know I do have more than a thousand hours in differential-braked light GA).

If I may make a suggestion? - the issue seems related less to the actual castoring than the propensity for the tailwheel to return to straight ahead with too little motion or effort. It's just not staying where it's put, rather than there not being enough authority to put it there, if you see what I mean? Either that or the moment arm is improperly located and there's too much wheelbase for the turning power available.

I like the lower power output to start rolling - I base at ORBX Popham, and parked next to the AI An-2 there's a turning, uphill start to get to the runway. New beta exhibits easier start and turn without the need for almost full power as before, and the c/h temps remain at around 200° which keeps them below the smoke threshold.

Did a stall approach with full flap and stick full back, engine at idle and prop at full. Adding power just before landing meant a `positive` three-pointer with a high vertical speed vector relative to horizontal and now the tailwheel survives better than it did before! Still possible to break, but now there is a narrow margin.

Hope this helps!
Simon Evans

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 21:53

Snave, do you use the friction patch with LUA? It seems to have a strong influence here. The custom animation of the tail wheel maybe playing a role here. Working with the team on it.
For the rudder authority, maybe you can try to set in the aircrafts.cfg's tuning section to reduce it by 20% by setting the factor to 0.8?
Happy flying!
Alexander

snave

Post by snave » 10 Jun 2013, 01:46

Yes, I do use the friction modifier via FSUIPC.

Will have a play to see what I can do with the .cfg - Popham is ideal on FS as there's an offset approach required with a boot of rudder to kick it straight right before touchdown while low, slow and fully-flapped.
Simon Evans

rosborne

Post by rosborne » 10 Jun 2013, 02:25

snave wrote:Quick test shows there might now be too much rudder authority -
I can't comment on this as I am in Ercoupe mode (autorudder)

Less than a 1000hrs here but with multiple Instructor ratings (single / multi land instr.).

It sure turns quite a bit more like what I would 'expect' with a full caster and the tailwheel now has more propensity to "stay put" rather than snapping back like it did (a good thing). Pretty close to being able to swing it around (pivot on) one wheel.

No friction modifier here.

Seems to (seems to) me like quicker to hit the upper temps now (just an observation).

And finally had elevator authority to three-point the landing.

-Rob O.

HAWK

Post by HAWK » 10 Jun 2013, 03:13

Sounds good I am looking forward to getting out of work to try it this evening!
Gavin

metzgergva

Re: Flight dynamics update V2.3 - public beta testing

Post by metzgergva » 11 Jun 2013, 01:04

I have uploaded version 2.3 as per first posting.
Happy flying!
Alexander

lesko

Post by lesko » 11 Jun 2013, 06:38

Alex, I think it is as good as can be without sacrificing in-flight stability. I am no expert at sim airplane devopment but I don't think you can precisely model both the on ground and the in flight behaviour in FSX to mimic real life. I any case, with a bit of difficulty, I managed to make a 360 degree turn on one very wide runway (Hungary, Tokol).
In the case of a real tail wheel airplane the centre of gravity is behind the main wheels which means, once you start a turn, the airplane wants to tighten the turn, whereas in our case it does the exact opposite, it wants to straighten out.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 11 Jun 2013, 12:45

I guess we all know that the simulation of the ground handling in FSX is far from realistic. CoG is set matching the real data, but the problem is friction of tires on ground which is not simulated plus even with differential braking the brake power is not 100% on one wheel. I believe MS did that as otherwise the left and right turn on a standard aircraft would be much to pronounced as the front wheel does not have any side force capacity - just as all wheels.
Happy flying!
Alexander

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 12 Jun 2013, 11:35

Just bumping up, as I did an update this morning.
Happy flying!
Alexander

CalypteAviation

Post by CalypteAviation » 13 Jun 2013, 02:05

It would be a good idea to drop version number in Sim value - with sim number you will make a lot of problems for people who install repaints as they will have to mind adjusting repait to current version.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 13 Jun 2013, 03:24

CalypteAviation wrote:It would be a good idea to drop version number in Sim value - with sim number you will make a lot of problems for people who install repaints as they will have to mind adjusting repait to current version.
It shouldn't be a problem if, in the README, there is a note to say 'Check the sim version'
Of course, that's providing people read the READMEs. They do don't they? :)
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

HAWK

Post by HAWK » 13 Jun 2013, 04:14

I'd say 2.3 is as far as I would want to go with rudder response in the air, as has been discussed the limitations of FSX are gonna be the limiting factor here, so I'm happy with what we have, and any additional tweaks are a bonus!
Gavin

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 13 Jun 2013, 12:14

Thank you for your feedback. It is always a balancing act as in real flying you would not be able to press the pedal to full deflection at speeds of 150+ km/h. So I opted for the rudder effect on matching smaller inputs in flight to have more authority during the take-off run.
Happy flying!
Alexander

zonavelha

Post by zonavelha » 13 Jun 2013, 21:51

For me the V2.3 is working and so far no major problems , just a suggestion a bit less power to move the plane that is great because in fsx in the Manifold pressure indicator to move the AN-2 minimum is 8 and in real life is 6 in real life just to get it going and turning , and thanks for a great plane .

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 24 Oct 2013, 17:34

Hello,
We have just realized that we have a misreading on our MAP gauge. In the manifold there is MAP in units hPA and mmHG. I have used hPa as reference and we also let the MAP gauge hPA as values, though it is written mmHG on it. By that you have a 20 % difference in reading. This will be corrected with the next update and the flying guide will be updated accordingly.
Happy flying!
Alexander

TDHenderson

Post by TDHenderson » 12 Nov 2013, 18:19

Alexander,

How are things progressing with the FDE updates?

Regards,
Trevor

Salazgan

Post by Salazgan » 12 Nov 2013, 20:25

Subscribe to the issue, it is possible to name the approximate release date update, or have a full-fledged product? Thanks.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 13 Nov 2013, 16:36

The flight dynamics V2.4 are basically done. But to incorporate them into an update is not ready yet as a few other things will be updated and Andrey is working on them. You will get it all in one go. When? I can't give you a date, but be assured Andrey will let you know when it is ready.
Happy flying!
Alexander

TDHenderson

Post by TDHenderson » 13 Nov 2013, 20:04

Thank you for the information Alexander. Very much appreciate it.

Regards,
Trevor