CTD when exiting FSX after flight

WarHorse47

Re: CTD when exiting FSX after flight

Post by WarHorse47 » 15 Jul 2013, 22:25

adi518 wrote:Hi Kevin, thanks for that info. However, I have a pretty well maintained fsx configuration here and in no way, it is the fault of other modules installed. I mean, maybe it's colliding with another addon, but I tried the an-2 in various situations and it always ctds when I close the sim with it selected in free-flight, after coming back from a flight. It's truly is something in the gauge coding.
I tend to agree. In fact, I've been trying to figure out what might be causing the conflict.

My default flight is a cold start at my local airport. However, it doesn't load because I have "DisablePreload=1" in my FSX.cfg. In other words there are no other gauges loading in memory before I load the An-2 (assuming I haven't started any flight).

The only other thing I can think of that might make our systems different are addon modules. In my instance I only know of two: FSUIPC and the Milviz F-15E.

One other possible conflict might be from something running outside of FSX like a virus scanner. I run McAfee and its a hassle shutting it down just to fly.

Unfortunately, there is no error message indicating if any of these modules or applications are conflicting with the Swan2.dll.

--WH

iwn

Post by iwn » 15 Jul 2013, 23:24

Accu-Feel? That handles FDE stuff as well?

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 15 Jul 2013, 23:28

No Accu-Feel on my install. A2A are the only addons I haven't acquired yet for FSX.

--WH

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 16 Jul 2013, 01:13

As I already typed in an answer three hours ago which was too angry-made, I left it to re-type my answer now however when I read the last posts here my mood also becomes angry since I am not able to understand where that "I-do-not-want-to-investigate"-feeling comes. It is clear that this error is related to the swan2.dll but that it only occurs when something else is next to it. Either the access of the swan2.dll or another file is trying to do something and this gets several problems. To find it without having someone to help is quite difficult. As several examples showed that the swan2.dll only gives an error back when a second thing is in the background and people here saying that the swan2.dll is the culprit is quite low. Why does it need to be the swan2.dll? (Only because it appeared after installing this bird is NOT a reason, since it can also be that this error comes from the other thing which is maybe bad done and only in companion of the swan2.dll it makes the error!) To also say that SibWings should hold back and investigate on the error is even worse since how you want that they/we find an error if we do not get a 100% "list" of what is installed/active/... and where you flew with which sceneries? I am always astonished by the suspections made by users. It is always the last thing if we hear them, but that the first thing was done totally wrong isn't possible or?
So everyone who is "saying" here that SibWings are the ones to blame here, stand up and help us! Post your current active sceneries/expansions, your current dll.xml. This will help us already a lot more than only those negative and "dumb" (sorry for using this word but it makes me furious...) comments. Come on people, we want to help you to get rid of the problems, so we need (since we cannot reproduce the problem which was already said a few times before) informations to make a pre-selection of where and what may do that error!

(The rest I typed in now, I just deleted. I need to calm down now) :)
regards Kevin

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 16 Jul 2013, 02:54

Sorry you are angry, Kevin. I did apologize in advance in my earlier post.

In addition to providing a variety of detail in numerous posts, I already provided a full copy of my dll.xml to Alex on 6/13/13. I am also using an updated swan2.dll package he provided, and have updated to the 2.3 FDE. The results are the same.

Since you asked about scenery, I have the ORBX PNW with the latest patch, libraries and several of their PNW airports as Washington State is my home state. My standard flight originates from KOLM, Olympia, WA which is a stock FSX airport other than the ORBX textures.

Just to make sure I am not imagining anything, I just did a quick test. I opened FSX and loaded the An-2 at KOLM. After opening the flight, I just switched views and panned around the aircraft. I did not attempt to start. I then exited the flight - no problem. I then exited FSX and got the error message the FSX had stopped working.

I am just as frustrated as you in that I do not know what else to do or what other information you need to help solve the issue.

--WH

except

Post by except » 16 Jul 2013, 07:24

WarHorse47, try to delete from dll.xml an2 section or delete file swservice.dll from <FSX>\SibWings\Service folder. Then try again.

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 16 Jul 2013, 08:02

except wrote:WarHorse47, try to delete from dll.xml an2 section or delete file swservice.dll from <FSX>\SibWings\Service folder. Then try again.
Okay. Did both. Results unchanged.

Instead of deleting the swservice.dll, I renamed it to swservice.dll.passive to see what happens. Only difference was that once the aircraft was loaded I got a menu that asked if I wanted to close FSX and update or update later. Never saw that before.

There was no such message box when I removed the an2 section from the dll.xml. With both tests I got a CTD when exiting FSX.

--WH

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 16 Jul 2013, 10:35

Hello WarHorse, do not worry you are not the only one who this post was pointing for.

Anyway, maybe I have overseen it but I cannot find your dll.xml. Can you just point it out to me please? In addition do you use any weather addon? Can you maybe try the An-2 somewhere in Africa or so where there is no scenery interaction?

Thanks for your help!
regards Kevin

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 16 Jul 2013, 15:06

I think the problem might be on the nested DLLs in the SibWings service folder.
Maybe there is something not properly unload and the FSX engine doesn't like it.

After each CTD a DirectX diagnostic file will be written and stored in the same
folder as the "dll.xml". However, this file doesn't contain information of errors.
Why? Since the system files of the operating system and FSX are ok.

That might be also a starting point for troubleshooting...
До скорого...
Уве

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 16 Jul 2013, 17:49

Springbok wrote:Hello WarHorse, do not worry you are not the only one who this post was pointing for.

Anyway, maybe I have overseen it but I cannot find your dll.xml. Can you just point it out to me please? In addition do you use any weather addon? Can you maybe try the An-2 somewhere in Africa or so where there is no scenery interaction?

Thanks for your help!
The dll.xml was sent via e-mail. I have sent you an e-mail so we can exchange files easier.

No, I have no weather addon. All flights use Fair Weather settings.

I did two test flights this morning - both outside the Orbx PNW territory. The first was a simple walkaround at Maykop, Russia and the second was a full startup and take off at Jalalabad, Afganistan. Neither had any modifications AI aircraft. The results were the same - error on FSX exit. So I think we can rule out the scenery as the cause.

--WH

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 17 Jul 2013, 01:10

Automatic restart after CTD message:

Hope that also helps a little bit...
До скорого...
Уве

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 18 Jul 2013, 12:37

Due to the big help of WarHorse47 we found out that a MilViz module in the dll.xml makes some weird things. When this module is NOT in the dll.xml, the CTD does not appear. Can people who have this MilViz module in their dll.xml, maybe try the dll.xml without that entry. To do this, please backup first your dll.xml, then delete the following entry in your dll.xml:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>MILVIZPACK</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>Modules\MILVIZ\Milviz_pack.dll</Path>
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
</Launch.Addon>

And then try it without that entry. Normally the CTDs should be gone. Please report if this method works also for you!

Thanks for testing and reporting back!
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 18 Jul 2013, 13:23

Will try and report back. :)

iwn

Post by iwn » 18 Jul 2013, 20:24

Milviz T-38, Baron, Chinook and F15 in use here. Will check and report.

iwn

Post by iwn » 18 Jul 2013, 22:53

No difference here. CTD without milviz as well.

Which one of the Milviz planes is in question. The F-15 has quite complicated weapons module.
Attachments
dll.xml
My dll.xml
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 18 Jul 2013, 23:03

It is either the F-15 or the T-38 Talon. In your current dll.xml I am however missing the MilViz entries. Did you deleted them or?
regards Kevin

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 18 Jul 2013, 23:26

Even at the risk that I make myself unpopular here:
Springbok wrote: ...
<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
Then probably the Flight1 & TSS "audio environment airliner edition" also be affected? If I'm not mistaken, this Product works with the same control commands.

However, I haven't use this products. My FSX ACC is a standard installation with Orbx scenery and the corresponding object flow files.

For the troubleshooting I would also not look in third party products, because the access violation (0xc0000005), UTF-32 hex code 0x0000d1d4 (as a flush effect?) and the {smartassembly} note show unambiguously that an error occurred in the "swan2.dll".

Access violation exceptions (0xc0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION) are generated, if a memory access caused by an instruction or program execution does not meet certain conditions, which are dictated by the processor architecture or the structures of the memory management units.

A pure crash can have only a denial-of-service condition resulted, it would be risky, however, to assume that a crash not could be misused to achieve more dangerous effects including a code execution.

Continues indicates an access violation while writing data on a possible memory corruption, which almost always leads to an exploitable condition with potential code execution. However, I don't think that we affected users have problems with our hardware or addons of other manufacturers.

Very often, such writes are indicators of buffer overflow conditions in the crashing program (the UTF-32 Hex-Code 0x0000d1d4 for example). In practice, some crashes by write access violations prove to be often as not exploitable. However, require situations such as these, that you perform a full data flow analysis to determine the root cause of the problem.

The most access violations in connection with data writing operations can lead to exploitable situations, which have the execution of malicious code to the following. Code execution is typically achieved by either on the stack or on the heap override a (random) storage area.

Guys, I hope so that you can find a solution soon. Otherwise, I must delete your pretty little AN-2 for reasons of it-security from my computer. And that would be very very bad ... :(
До скорого...
Уве

iwn

Post by iwn » 18 Jul 2013, 23:40

As I have stated, I did a FSX reinstall. At the moment only T-38 is installed from the Milviz stable. So it must be the F-15 with those extra modules. The rest were installed before in my previous An-2 installation.

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 20 Jul 2013, 01:45

On the subject of access protection violation I had already noticed something in my last post.

After yesterday's exchanges of information with Alex via PM here now my recent findings on the subject of CTD.

From the outset I had negative influences on SimConnect (and as a result also on DirectX) suspected. And this suspicion has been (unfortunately) confirmed for me.

Experimental setup
I've checked with some tools all possible suspicious processes. With and without activated AN-2 Installation and other flight models for comparison.

There was always the same airfield, the same weather and a same system environment available. With and without enabled addons, or with and without activated SimConnect server.

No matter which addon manufacturers, whether surface scenery, sounds, airfields or AI traffic. All possible constellations were checked systematically.

Result
After the selection of the AN-2 and loading it into a flight, the SibWings sound system will be turned on. Audible through a crackle and noise at its initialization.

This phase is equal logged at the beginning in SimConnect as EXCEPTION=1 (SIMCONNECT_EXCEPTION_ERROR) and is written in to the operating system memory. Other flight models don't exhibit this exception error.

Under these conditions, a flight of AN-2 runs normally, but when you exit there is occurs the next feature. All processes of the SibWings sound system will be abruptly terminated and logged by SimConnect as "Disconnected!". The "EXEPTION=1" from loading the AN-2 is still in memory and will not be flushed. This behavior could not be detected in other flight models.

Because of this error the termination of the flight simulator X with loaded AN-2 (because the memory is not flushed) and generate access violation exceptions to its present stage of development with all its (negative) consequences.

If you are interest, you can find a example after CTD as result of the automatic DirectX diagnostic from Windows (without user intervention) in the path <C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX> named "dxdiag.txt".

Workaround (up to solve the problems)
1. Run the FSX not with an AN-2 as standard flight.
2. Load always a flight without AN-2.
3. Select then your AN-2 flight model.
4. Open not the logbook after an AN-2 flight.
5. Before opening the logbook, select a different flight model.
6. Exit the FSX not with an selected (activated) AN-2.

Conclusion
The AN-2 (in its current version) is not working correctly. That's a result of my fourteen hours duration test. Without debugging, this coole little bird is difficult to use for inexperienced users.

Alex & Team, please check the memory handling of your product and corrects the faulty files. This effort is more than justified for your masterpiece!
До скорого...
Уве

adi518

Post by adi518 » 20 Jul 2013, 01:53

I disabled milviz pack and same ctd occurs. It must be something in the unloading of swan2.dll is causing this.