CTD when exiting FSX after flight

musterpilot

Re: CTD when exiting FSX after flight

Post by musterpilot » 03 Jul 2013, 13:31

Ok guys
Just had another look into my system
I might be rite then again I might be wrong
I have had 2 critical updates from MS restored my pc before and then after these updates and all went ok
not saying that this was the problem but it might be
have a look into it
we will get to the bottom of this one day :smt021

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 03 Jul 2013, 21:52

Basti_793 wrote:Hi Alex,
probably there is an error while unloading a DLL.
Please check off the code operations once again.
Already checked. Nothing wrong. This code works in other projects too without any issues.
According to the latest reports the error may disappear when updating windows, or when upgrading libraries that we do not use. very strange.
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

adi518

Post by adi518 » 04 Jul 2013, 05:16

I was playing with this aircraft for like an hour or two, then I ended my flight and opened the aircraft menu to check out the other an-2 paints and while switching to one of them, fsx crashed with a 'swan2.dll' error. There's a glitch/bug in the dll. Hopefully, you guys can fix that. Other then that, it was pretty damn stable. :)

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 04 Jul 2013, 22:18

Alex wrote:
Basti_793 wrote:Hi Alex,
probably there is an error while unloading a DLL.
Please check off the code operations once again.
Already checked. Nothing wrong. This code works in other projects too without any issues.
According to the latest reports the error may disappear when updating windows, or when upgrading libraries that we do not use. very strange.
Here is a section from my event log files (Win7 x64) for example:

Code: Select all

Name of the faulty application: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: swan2.DLL, version: 1.0.119.73, time stamp: 0x517fbe24
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000d1d4
Faulting process id: 0x2474
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce7827b659121c
Faulting application path: ...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: ...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\swan2.DLL
Report Id: ...
Any ideas Alex?
До скорого...
Уве

adi518

Post by adi518 » 04 Jul 2013, 23:00

I bet the ctd also has relation to the fact sometimes the plane loads with the gauges not working perfectly.

Here's my appcrash:

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	fsx.exe
  Application Version:	10.0.61637.0
  Application Timestamp:	46fadb14
  Fault Module Name:	swan2.DLL
  Fault Module Version:	1.0.158.86
  Fault Module Timestamp:	51b2fcb7
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0000d184
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID:	1033

heywooood

Post by heywooood » 07 Jul 2013, 19:23

FWIW - if I select the AN-2 from the aircraft selection screen and it appears WITH the ground shadow...you can see the shadow clearly as a thin darkened layer surrounding the aircraft from the main gear to the tail wheel and surrounding the Colt

to see it more clearly - tilt the aircraft and pivot it around with the mouse....when the Colt loads in this way, I always have trouble with the switches being inactive..they make the audible clicks but do NOT animate until I cycle through them all -

when it loads clean in the selection window, with NO shadow - it will then load in free flight in usable condition

regardless - EVERY time I close and then EXIT FSX with the Colt loaded...I get a CTD....every time

I MUST switch to a different aircraft before exiting FSX
frequently wrong - infrequently concerned about it - life goes on either way

adi518

Post by adi518 » 07 Jul 2013, 19:30

Yesterday, I had the occasional swan2.dll error and some stackhash errors. Those, stackhash errors that I had weren't related to the An-2 as it happened when I tried other planes. What I did noticed tho.. is that after a good restart to windows, both problems are gone. Swan2.dll might return but so far, I didn't get an error. Ofc, it doesn't mean the problem is gone completely. Gauges shouldn't cause fsx to crash even after it's' closed. :smt004

mobsky

Post by mobsky » 08 Jul 2013, 20:43

same problem, fresh install of FSX, always crashes when exiting a flight.

win7 64, FSX gold,
crash.png
crash.png (95.11 KiB) Viewed 3079 times

musterpilot

Post by musterpilot » 12 Jul 2013, 12:48

Well went through a complete new windows install plus FSX
formatted both drives and every thing is A1
I will keep a eye on things as I install other a/c and scenery and see what happens

iwn

Post by iwn » 12 Jul 2013, 19:49

I'm also very cautious to install this aircraft back. It has taken now two weeks to get FSX back to close where it was. If this was the reason to corrupt FSX installation, I would not like to repeat this enormous re-install excercise. We'll see.

I'd rather play solitaire than build 270 gigs of FSX...

adi518

Post by adi518 » 12 Jul 2013, 20:04

hmm... what kind of corruption? there's no way you'd need a complete fsx reinstall. I had lots of ctds because of the gauge but it didn't corrupt fsx.. even if it would, it's usually very easy to detect the culprit. I've "corrupted" my fsx many many times and yet, I always got it back on it's feet with some proper troubleshooting. There's most definitely no need to reinstall anything. The appcrash is just that, it doesn't do anything otherwise and the add-on usability isn't affected. Until this is fixed, you can use the an-2, then when you're back in main menu, select another plane and then close fsx.

As a thumb rule, I always keep a backup of fsx on another drive and I backup my latest fsx.cfg and other important settings files. Once you have a consolidated backup repository, you can pretty much tackle any problem. The an-2 only suffers from this gauge appcrash, other than that it's working as intended.
Last edited by adi518 on 13 Jul 2013, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

iwn

Post by iwn » 13 Jul 2013, 10:10

Yes, I know. I don't blame this addon to be the culprit. I probably did too many things in a same time and all added to the problem. Reinstallation was looming ahead anyway and at the moment the FSX runs smoother than ever. It just that I did not find out what triggered the ctd and I tried quite many tricks to avoid this drastic manouvre.

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 14 Jul 2013, 02:31

I have reinstalled after analysis of this behavior "FSX SimConnect" now.

SimConnect is included in the FSX SDK - as a part of the Acceleration or Gold Edition Pack - or found here (for example).

Maybe it helps a little bit ... ;)
До скорого...
Уве

adi518

Post by adi518 » 14 Jul 2013, 08:33

I can confirm it doesn't make any difference.. I have it installed.

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 14 Jul 2013, 17:55

The CTDs still's occur, but not as often as before reinstall SimConnect.
The "swan2.dll" will probably be the cause. :-k
До скорого...
Уве

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 15 Jul 2013, 12:39

Since I read those thread there are several things which everyone should check if they are done since this error comes from somewhere I cannot reproduce in any way. I just enumerate everything to make it easier to read:

1) Start Windows Update and install every update (exceptions may be the Bing Desktop) but any windows based fix, hotfix, patch,... should be installed. After everything is installed do a restart, let windows load start Windows Update again and if there is no more update to install, restart Windows again. Then try it again with the An-2. (The restarting process is really important so that windows reads everything as it is designed for. Such a restart should be done everytime after Windows Update was executed!)

2) Check your dll.xml for unknown/dodgy/... entries. If you are not sure post the complete dll.xml in this thread. Backup your dll.xml (for example by renaming it to dllbackup.txt) and then delete every entry except the An-2 dll which seems to be the culprit. Then load FSX and select the An-2 and try if the error occurs again. If yes, please post the current dll.xml here and the error message again. If not, then add the next entry to the dll.xml and test again, until the error comes. If it comes, tell us what you last added to the dll.xml, post your current dll.xml here and the original one.

3) If you are using any tweak, make a backup of your current FSX.cfg (in renaming it for example to BackupFSX.txt) and then start FSX. FSX creates a new FSX.cfg and every hookup should be gone. Test it now with the An-2. (An additional check would be if you went through each line (!) of your FSX.cfg, change one parameter and test it again. Huge work but it may find the problem...)

4) Your FSX should never ever be installed somewhere on C:\ (the partition where Windows is located). Every time I did this FSX made problems. It is better to have an own partition for Windows and an own for FSX.

5) FSX should not be run in compability mode. It may give you a few frames but due to the restrictions of that mode (for example the support of several libraries) it is quite bad to use that mode and it should only be used if you really know what is done and what not. (For example good old Corel only runs on compability mode of Windows 95 under Windows 7 however it throws after exiting several errors which can make that your work is not saved. So pay attention to this mode!)

7) Try to use CCleaner to clean once your PC of bad things. Sometimes such (let's say) crap has a bad result in your PC.

That should be more or less the tricks to use to eliminate the problem. If it still occurs I have to take a look into the problem more deeply, but I can only do this aftermy exam period (which is after mid August) :(

Thanks for your help and your support!
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 15 Jul 2013, 12:58

Hi Kevin, thanks for that info. However, I have a pretty well maintained fsx configuration here and in no way, it is the fault of other modules installed. I mean, maybe it's colliding with another addon, but I tried the an-2 in various situations and it always ctds when I close the sim with it selected in free-flight, after coming back from a flight. It's truly is something in the gauge coding.

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 15 Jul 2013, 14:53

Hi Kevin,
even the return from the logbook to the free flight menu after a AN-2 flight causes
an CTD.

Whether a flight with or without external additional programs such as weather en-
gines etc., this error is always the same when closing the FSX and a selected AN-2.
He is not only reproducible by me and is even not dependent on the used hard- or
software (in accordance with your defined requirements).

I hope so, that there will be soon a solution. Love this bird so much guys... [-o<
До скорого...
Уве

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 15 Jul 2013, 20:47

Springbok wrote:Since I read those thread there are several things which everyone should check if they are done since this error comes from somewhere I cannot reproduce in any way. I just enumerate everything to make it easier to read:

1) Start Windows Update and install every update (exceptions may be the Bing Desktop) but any windows based fix, hotfix, patch,... should be installed. After everything is installed do a restart, let windows load start Windows Update again and if there is no more update to install, restart Windows again. Then try it again with the An-2. (The restarting process is really important so that windows reads everything as it is designed for. Such a restart should be done everytime after Windows Update was executed!)

2) Check your dll.xml for unknown/dodgy/... entries. If you are not sure post the complete dll.xml in this thread. Backup your dll.xml (for example by renaming it to dllbackup.txt) and then delete every entry except the An-2 dll which seems to be the culprit. Then load FSX and select the An-2 and try if the error occurs again. If yes, please post the current dll.xml here and the error message again. If not, then add the next entry to the dll.xml and test again, until the error comes. If it comes, tell us what you last added to the dll.xml, post your current dll.xml here and the original one.

3) If you are using any tweak, make a backup of your current FSX.cfg (in renaming it for example to BackupFSX.txt) and then start FSX. FSX creates a new FSX.cfg and every hookup should be gone. Test it now with the An-2. (An additional check would be if you went through each line (!) of your FSX.cfg, change one parameter and test it again. Huge work but it may find the problem...)

4) Your FSX should never ever be installed somewhere on C:\ (the partition where Windows is located). Every time I did this FSX made problems. It is better to have an own partition for Windows and an own for FSX.

5) FSX should not be run in compability mode. It may give you a few frames but due to the restrictions of that mode (for example the support of several libraries) it is quite bad to use that mode and it should only be used if you really know what is done and what not. (For example good old Corel only runs on compability mode of Windows 95 under Windows 7 however it throws after exiting several errors which can make that your work is not saved. So pay attention to this mode!)

7) Try to use CCleaner to clean once your PC of bad things. Sometimes such (let's say) crap has a bad result in your PC.

That should be more or less the tricks to use to eliminate the problem. If it still occurs I have to take a look into the problem more deeply, but I can only do this aftermy exam period (which is after mid August) :(

Thanks for your help and your support!
Kevin, my apologies in advance for my response but I get the impression that although you (or Sibwings) cannot reproduce this problem you are in denial that it exists.

Everything you listed (with one exception) has been done on my computer/setup/FSX install, and yet the problem persists. My FSX is installed on a separate directory on my C:\ drive and I do not see the logic on having to reinstall it elsewhere just for one aircraft.

I don't think its fair to ask everyone to go through all these steps just to try and eradicate the problem. I love the An-2 and to solve the problem I just exit FSX after every flight.

I'm sorry if I sound argumentative, but I would prefer to hear that Sibwings is working on solving the problem with the gauge in question. Thank you.

--WH

adi518

Post by adi518 » 15 Jul 2013, 21:58

This is something is really unacceptable. It must be fixed asap. I mean, before even moving on to updates and such. Guys. :?