CTD when exiting FSX after flight

WarHorse47

Re: CTD when exiting FSX after flight

Post by WarHorse47 » 07 Oct 2013, 02:51

ncooper wrote:I count eight posters to this thread who have had this problem.
If only eight copies had been sold, it might be a huge issue and
definitely a fault in the model.
Given the resolute refusal to remove at least the one clearly
identified cause, itself a tweak of dubious value, in some of the
eight cases, I really can't see a way forward for you all.

Regards,
Nick
Sad, but true.

It cannot be reproduced, therefore it does not exist.

As I stated previously, the lack of communication discourages me.

It is not a major issue in that I still enjoy the An-2 from time to time, but it does make me hesitate on future purchases.

The reality is that this issue is but one of several payware issues that I'm trying to resolve (I count over 75 I have purchased since February). Other developers have products, both older and newer, with issues that I have noted in their respective forums only to be ignored for a lengthy time. I am sure they have other dragons to slay, and I realize that their staff have moved on or that the cost outweighs the benefits of fixing these things.

Such is the risk of this hobby. Fortunately, there are many other payware addons I can enjoy that occupy my time.

--WH

adi518

Post by adi518 » 07 Oct 2013, 20:02

I circumvented this problem using sim launcher (skips the start menu entirely) to utilize fsx. When I quit fsx, I just hit ctrl+c and it will immediately close fsx without any errors. Other way to quit would be using 'end flight' but that's pointless because it will return to fsx default menu. Sim launcher can load a flight while fsx is running so it's got you covered, preventing the need for using the startup menu AT ALL.

PS, since I do not exit fsx through the startup menu, it's then possible to narrow the crashing scenario to exiting fsx through the menu after ending a flight with the an-2. I use SL for many months now and used the an-2 quite a lot of times to prove this method is indeed crash-proof.

PS #2, using SL, you can turn Off "disable preload" as it's not effective anyway. SL will launch straight into flight while "disable preload" is merely for booting fsx startup screen faster.

I hope you find this piece of info useful. I do expect a proper solution though.

iwn

Post by iwn » 08 Oct 2013, 01:03

I decided to try again once I bumped into this; http://atr.flight1.net/forums/important ... c5942.html

I can exit FSX without crash, but An2 is in that state where you cannot control the switches, you hear the clicks but animations don´t work.
If I save a An2 flight after loading it with this Flight1 saved flight and exit, the crash comes back.

adi518

Post by adi518 » 08 Oct 2013, 01:09

If the plane doesn't respond (which can happen) just reload the aircraft. There's a specially assigned key just for that.

iwn

Post by iwn » 08 Oct 2013, 01:10

This is the log again;

Code: Select all

Lokinimi:      Application
Lähde:         Application Error
Päivä:         7.10.2013 23:41:59
Tapahtumatunnus:1000
Tehtäväluokka: (100)
Taso:          Virhe
Avainsanat:    Perinteinen
Käyttäjä:       - 
Tietokone:     Nurmputer3
Kuvaus:
Viallisen sovelluksen nimi: fsx.exe, versio: 10.0.61637.0, aikaleima: 0x46fadb14
Viallisen moduulin nimi: swan2.DLL, versio: 1.0.158.86, aikaleima: 0x51b2fcb7
Poikkeuskoodi: 0xc0000005
Virhepoikkeama: 0x0000d184
Viallisen prosessin tunnus: 0xe70
Viallisen sovelluksen käynnistysaika: 0x01cec39147fb4fdb
Viallisen sovelluksen polku: E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Viallisen moduulin polku: E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\swan2.DLL
Raportin tunnus: e966add2-2f90-11e3-8777-e0cb4e4f8401
Tapahtuman Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-07T20:41:59.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>80432</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Nurmputer3</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
    <Data>46fadb14</Data>
    <Data>swan2.DLL</Data>
    <Data>1.0.158.86</Data>
    <Data>51b2fcb7</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0000d184</Data>
    <Data>e70</Data>
    <Data>01cec39147fb4fdb</Data>
    <Data>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\swan2.DLL</Data>
    <Data>e966add2-2f90-11e3-8777-e0cb4e4f8401</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

iwn

Post by iwn » 08 Oct 2013, 23:14

Reload a plane? Are we talking about a "reset flight"?

adi518

Post by adi518 » 08 Oct 2013, 23:23

No.. I didn't know about it too until someone from the forum here told me. There's a key in the controls mapping that only reloads the plane.. you can use it at any given moment while playing and it will totally reload the plane... takes a few seconds while it reloads.. not a total scene reload. You often can't use fsx without it. :)

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 09 Oct 2013, 00:32

That was probably me, I have certainly posted on the subject.
There is, in the list of commands in Settings\Controls\Buttons\Keys
one named Aircraft (Reload).
You will need to assign a button or key of your choice to this command
as by default, it is unassigned.
Once the aircraft has been reset, all the switches will work as they should.

At this point, it would be a very good idea to save the flight for future use.

There are some other benefits too, a flat battery is recharged and any damage repaired

Regards,
Nick

adi518

Post by adi518 » 09 Oct 2013, 00:51

Exactly. It doesn't remedy only the an-2, but in fact many other 'complex' addons as well.
Last edited by adi518 on 09 Oct 2013, 02:06, edited 2 times in total.

KAPTEJNLN

Post by KAPTEJNLN » 09 Oct 2013, 00:53

Hi there i havent been following the post for a long time, how ever this is a known problems for some add-ons i had a chat whit developer about this when it was released..

The CTD happens to other add-ons as well and i can´t pinpoint why it does it i just know how to solve the problem, as i have done a lot of research in the past...

The main problem here is the fix, as you have to run the add-on in compatible mode it´s a advise by some staff at Microsoft have given, so thats where i have my info from, also your flightsim would say the same if it crash and you search for a solution.

But you can´t do this whit this Add-on if it still is as when it was lunched.. or use GSX as i got but never used as they blame you if you dont run whit out compatible mode..
The fact is we run a old game thats not build for Vista, win 7 or 8. and the compatible mode was build to solve some of those problems.. know from other programs thats not the latest and some programs only works that way..

So my bigest wish is that as sooner we agree the sim need this, we would have solved a problem for many, insted of the statement for GSX blaming some developers for using old codes as i have seen they stated..

But i wish i could directly point the problem and give a solution, so we could use both compatiblemode and not... but im no programer sadly so i know nothing about that i can just say what has worked for other add-ons and costumers..

Best whishes.. I hope i could return using the plane some day as well as GSX but the chances are small..

Some say like at other forums well it´s at shut down it hapens so what the heck... Thats a bad comen´t because every time a program fails you are in danger that windows makes a fault and thos fault build up and can have very bad side effect along the road.. i have tryeid it and it´s all because things crash and the sim dosent shut down right.... it would be the same as parking your car and put it in the highest gear press the brake pedal and let it shut the engin every time, how does your car work in a month? not good i would guess

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 09 Oct 2013, 01:53

iwn wrote:I decided to try again once I bumped into this; http://atr.flight1.net/forums/important ... c5942.html

I can exit FSX without crash, but An2 is in that state where you cannot control the switches, you hear the clicks but animations don´t work.
If I save a An2 flight after loading it with this Flight1 saved flight and exit, the crash comes back.
Here is a link to a topic I posted similar to the one you quote but directed at the AN-2.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1210

My aircraft switches always work, I can use it in my default flight and FSX does not crash
on exit.
With or without Disablepreload=1 in fsx.cfg.

Regards,
Nick
Last edited by ncooper on 09 Oct 2013, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

adi518

Post by adi518 » 09 Oct 2013, 02:07

We also mustn't forget p3d 2.0 is possibly to take's fsx place soon and then this problem might solve itself.

ncooper

Post by ncooper » 09 Oct 2013, 02:26

Not at my house it isn't :)

Regards,
Nick

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 09 Oct 2013, 15:42

ncooper wrote:Not at my house it isn't :)

Regards,
Nick
Ditto. :)
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

adi518

Post by adi518 » 09 Oct 2013, 15:52

If you referred to p3d 2.0 then, your lost. :P

KAPTEJNLN

Post by KAPTEJNLN » 09 Oct 2013, 17:56

OK ladys and gentelmen, lets keep on track and not talk about other simulators thats not even out yet for the general public..

i know things sometimes get a bit off topic, but se it that way as a costumer visit the page for the first time dont want to read throu all those pages of stuff that´s not relevant..
and no im not better then others we just have to keep the most importan stuff in.. as i said yesterday i havent been following and was skipping the first pages..

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 09 Oct 2013, 20:53

KAPTEJNLN wrote:Hi there i havent been following the post for a long time, how ever this is a known problems for some add-ons i had a chat whit developer about this when it was released..

The CTD happens to other add-ons as well and i can´t pinpoint why it does it i just know how to solve the problem, as i have done a lot of research in the past...

The main problem here is the fix, as you have to run the add-on in compatible mode it´s a advise by some staff at Microsoft have given, so thats where i have my info from, also your flightsim would say the same if it crash and you search for a solution.

But you can´t do this whit this Add-on if it still is as when it was lunched.. or use GSX as i got but never used as they blame you if you dont run whit out compatible mode..
The fact is we run a old game thats not build for Vista, win 7 or 8. and the compatible mode was build to solve some of those problems.. know from other programs thats not the latest and some programs only works that way..

So my bigest wish is that as sooner we agree the sim need this, we would have solved a problem for many, insted of the statement for GSX blaming some developers for using old codes as i have seen they stated..

But i wish i could directly point the problem and give a solution, so we could use both compatiblemode and not... but im no programer sadly so i know nothing about that i can just say what has worked for other add-ons and costumers..

Best whishes.. I hope i could return using the plane some day as well as GSX but the chances are small..

Some say like at other forums well it´s at shut down it hapens so what the heck... Thats a bad comen´t because every time a program fails you are in danger that windows makes a fault and thos fault build up and can have very bad side effect along the road.. i have tryeid it and it´s all because things crash and the sim dosent shut down right.... it would be the same as parking your car and put it in the highest gear press the brake pedal and let it shut the engin every time, how does your car work in a month? not good i would guess
I am going to have to disagree with your logic and ask we focus on the An-2.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have a new computer last February. I have no problems running FSX or FS9 under Windows 8, and I do not have to run in compatibility mode.

Since installing FSX, I have purchased 74 additional addons. I haven't counted the number for freeware addons, nor FSX addons I accumulated prior to February. NONE of them give me a CTD on exiting FSX except for the An-2.

FSX does have its quirks, such as OOM when switching aircraft too many times and occasional slow loading of textures in certain regions. But overall it remains stable and enjoyable under Win8.

I'm not a programmer nor developer, but have been working with computers, applications and operating systems since DOS 3 days so I think I have enough hours behind the keyboard to validate my observations.

Just sayin'

--WH

KAPTEJNLN

Post by KAPTEJNLN » 09 Oct 2013, 21:38

As a reply to the latest, this is the same all type it never happend only whit this plane just like when (aerosoft airbus X) and it´s in fact a problem whit only a few procent of add-ons out there..
If you don´t belive me ask Microsoft why older stuff has to run in compatible mode for some program/ programing styles. it´s not me sayeig this it´s a fact microsoft self point out..
I can just confirm it has worked so far for me as well as others.. not that im sayeing its the right way..

I just can´t prove as this add-on dosen´t allow this option.. and it´s all caused by a given file, but i have no clue to solve it as well as developer wants as much as we they could solve it.
so this file diden´t has to run in compatible mode and that way solve it..

I would love to help solving this but i just know im no programmer and dont have the expertise to solve it.. i also wish i had a freind that could point the developer to a solution but i cant..

Basti_793

Post by Basti_793 » 20 Oct 2013, 13:35

iwn wrote:This is the log again;

Code: Select all

Lokinimi:      Application
Lähde:         Application Error
Päivä:         7.10.2013 23:41:59
Tapahtumatunnus:1000
Tehtäväluokka: (100)
Taso:          Virhe
Avainsanat:    Perinteinen
Käyttäjä:       - 
Tietokone:     Nurmputer3
Kuvaus:
Viallisen sovelluksen nimi: fsx.exe, versio: 10.0.61637.0, aikaleima: 0x46fadb14
Viallisen moduulin nimi: swan2.DLL, versio: 1.0.158.86, aikaleima: 0x51b2fcb7
Poikkeuskoodi: 0xc0000005
Virhepoikkeama: 0x0000d184
Viallisen prosessin tunnus: 0xe70
Viallisen sovelluksen käynnistysaika: 0x01cec39147fb4fdb
Viallisen sovelluksen polku: E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Viallisen moduulin polku: E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\swan2.DLL
Raportin tunnus: e966add2-2f90-11e3-8777-e0cb4e4f8401
Tapahtuman Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-07T20:41:59.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>80432</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Nurmputer3</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
    <Data>46fadb14</Data>
    <Data>swan2.DLL</Data>
    <Data>1.0.158.86</Data>
    <Data>51b2fcb7</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0000d184</Data>
    <Data>e70</Data>
    <Data>01cec39147fb4fdb</Data>
    <Data>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\swan2.DLL</Data>
    <Data>e966add2-2f90-11e3-8777-e0cb4e4f8401</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
The (in my eyes) critical vulnerability of the current "swan2.dll" is a buffer overflow, also referred to as "use-after-free" error in the memory management. This mistake can be exploited under certain circumstances to inject and execute arbitrary code. The results of my tests (posted on 18 Jul 2013), you also can find here.

Is a solution in sight for the future? I don't know ... :(
До скорого...
Уве

Lawman

Post by Lawman » 09 Nov 2013, 21:58

Guys,

I've recently updated my computer and after installing the An-2 again on a pristine FSX-installation (with Acceleration) I too started suffering from the CTD on exit. No other aircraft or scenery than default were installed. So I started looking at files and here are some of my observations. Could others who have the same problem verify my observations? Maybe it will help SibWings to pinpoint the cause of the CTD.

1) I've looked at the "panel.cfg"-file and saw this line: gauge00=swan2!main,0,0,1,1,SibWings\AN2\Config\swan2.ini . Now within the "panel"-folder there is a folder called "swan2", but the "ini"-file doesn't reside there. On my system it resides at the following location: Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SibWings\An2\Config\ Is this the same with you?

2) Part of my upgrade was to install FSX on an SSD. It occured to me that I never had a similar crash when the Colt was installed on a conventional HDD. Have you got the An-2 installed on an SSD or a conventional HDD? Could it be that on exiting FSX it needs to write something to the "ini"-file and can't?

BTW, I also checked the "sound"-cfg and found there is 1 file missing in the "sound"-folder called "xAN-2_noncombust.wav". It's probably unrelated to the issue above, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Note that some wav-files the config-file refers to are in the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound"-folder (but not this one).

Edit: as some have suggested, it seems the culprit (at least on my system) is the "DisablePreload"-line I had added to the "fsx.cfg"-file on the advice of NickN (no offense to him, maybe it is something system-specific). That was a line I didn't have in my "fsx.cfg" before my upgrade. I still need to do some more testing, but removing that line has so far stopped the CTDs. I have left my original post in case this doesn't turn out to be the solution.