Cannot Start Engine!

BillM

Cannot Start Engine!

Post by BillM » 08 Jun 2013, 18:50

Hi,

First SibWings product - looks like a lovely aircraft at a great price! However, I have followed the checklist numerous times and the engine will not turn-over nor the prop will move - lots of sounds but no 'action'!

I am using FSX Acceleration, Win 7 64 and I have Accufeel running in the background. I have no problems with any of the hundreds of other products I have installed.

Please advise or can you update with a quick start routine! Before the 'die-hards' accuse me of blasphemy,I am a qualified pilot!! I just like the option of getting in and flying!

I look forward to getting it in the air as it is languishing in the hanger at the moment!

Cheers,

Bill.

Springbok

Re: Cannot Start Engine!

Post by Springbok » 08 Jun 2013, 19:39

Well my "quick start" is to load the airplane, set the fuel & passengers and then fly. If the engine is shut down, I just use the magneto, put it in the "load" position. Set the thrust lever to about 5-10%, open the engine coolers to max, wait until the needle is nearly at 75% and then pull the magneto switch over to clutch. Then you see a disco movement and the engine should be running. To be honest, if you fly the An-2 it is a must have to start the engine on your own with the nice sound around you. That is everytime a simplemagic moment (at least for me) :)
regards Kevin

Adamski_NZ

Post by Adamski_NZ » 09 Jun 2013, 13:39

BillM wrote:First SibWings product - looks like a lovely aircraft at a great price! However, I have followed the checklist numerous times and the engine will not turn-over nor the prop will move - lots of sounds but no 'action'!
Sounds like you're not clicking the inertia switch a second time (to the right) <??>.

I can start up OK most of the time, but sometimes have to "cheat" by turning on the electric fuel pump beforehand and/or setting both magnetos to "on" - neither of which appear to be necessary from some of the YouTube videos I've trawled.

Adam.

sieggie

Post by sieggie » 09 Jun 2013, 17:41

It's not cheating to turn on the fuel pump, you can also use the hand fuel pump. If you do not have fuel pressure, the primer will not work. Don't forget to prime the engine (on the pilot's far left hand panel).

Dave

iwn

Post by iwn » 09 Jun 2013, 22:34

Same here, no matter what I do, only way to get the engine running is to slew it up in the air.

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 09 Jun 2013, 23:28

At first I had difficulties until I realized the fuel mixture was at 0%. Check to make sure the control with the blue knob is not forward, but towards pulled back. You can always use Ctrl+Shift+F4 as a shortcut. This is the first thing I do before running through the rest of the startup procedure.

--WH

iwn

Post by iwn » 10 Jun 2013, 00:19

Mixture is in correct position. Now, after twenty or so attempts I have succeeded twice. In both times, the third and the fifth try brought the engine alive.

iwn

Post by iwn » 13 Jun 2013, 11:37

Still kind of non-consistent behaviour. For the first time I did not switch the electric fuel pump on but used only the hand pump. First attempt with this method and she was running! With electric pump on I have to try several times before she coughs and starts singing.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 13 Jun 2013, 11:54

For correct starting please use the following:
1. Tank valve open
2. Fuel pump on
3. Prime with hand pump 3x when warm, 5-8x when cold
4. Battery and starter switch on
5. Throttle 1 inch forward
6. Starter motor ON and wait until it is stabilized - sound looping (currently around 12 but will be fixed as the ampere-meter is not showing correctly)
7. Magnetos both
8. Flip starter switch to clutch by 2x right click
9. Maintain initially 1000 RPM then let it drop to 700-800 RPM
Happy flying!
Alexander

Adamski_NZ

Post by Adamski_NZ » 13 Jun 2013, 13:03

iwn wrote:Still kind of non-consistent behaviour. For the first time I did not switch the electric fuel pump on but used only the hand pump. First attempt with this method and she was running! With electric pump on I have to try several times before she coughs and starts singing.
Funny, that - I get the opposite behaviour! Hand cranking only works some of the time, but with the electric pump on it works every time (for me)!

Thanks for the step-by-step procedure, Alexander. I've seen a few variations on this on YouTube:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNH_cDT5Uh8
Red fuel valve lever turned on *after* engine start (00:52).

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESdHyNtHpqs
Magnetos only turned on instantly after engaging clutch/engine fires (00:52).

3) http://youtu.be/BxhSmeAqD0g
Magnetos off (01:41) - turned on after start. Poor quality video, but at least he runs through the whole checklist (for Emily's benefit!).

EDIT: I just tried another test flight using the above procedure (video 3) ... no electric pump ... worked fine!

I don't think any of these 3 videos indicate whether the electric pump was in use (though I think not).

Adam.

iwn

Post by iwn » 13 Jun 2013, 18:31

I can now say that after further test flights start-up is no longer a problem. With hand pump/electric off its first or second attempt and I have a running engine.