Two questions: Cold and Dark & Ground Handling

IGrant

Two questions: Cold and Dark & Ground Handling

Post by IGrant » 08 Jun 2013, 18:16

First, I love the AN2. SibWings has done an amazing job of building character into this aircraft and it is a pleasure to fly.

My first question is how is the best way to load the aircraft cold and dark. If I load the default Cessna, shut everything down and then load the AN2, I get a few issues. Sometimes the engine will not start for anything. Also, I can't get air pressure at all if I load it cold and dark from this method. The only way I can get air pressure is to load the aircraft with the engine running. Would it be possible in the future to include an option to have the aircraft load cold and dark automatically with all the systems set accordingly so that they will work after start up? Or perhaps a proven way of getting the aircraft set up cold and dark in which everything will function once started up?

Second question is about the turning the AN2 on the ground. I've seen a lot of discussion about this and I understand how a free castor tail wheel works and have used them just fine before but the AN2 gives me a lot of trouble. I have pedals with differential braking and I can't get the AN2 to turn much at all. Even with a fair amount of power for prop wash over a fully deflected rudder AND differential braking I can't get the aircraft to make any kind of a reasonable 90 degree turn much less swing 180 at the end of a runway for take off. There must be something we are all doing wrong.

Stanel

Re: Two questions: Cold and Dark & Ground Handling

Post by Stanel » 08 Jun 2013, 19:36

I have exactly the same problem. I tried all tricks and no success.

IGrant

Post by IGrant » 08 Jun 2013, 19:46

I think I figured out my problems on the first issue with my most recent flight. For one I was letting go of the started connect switch to quickly to turn on the mags. If I turn on the mags first and then hold the clutch switch longer the engine fires. I also found that if I cycle the pneumatic refill valve at least twice that it will work once the engine is running. Since it defaults to 'off' I have to turn it on, off and then on again before pressure is restored. Maybe this will help others.

I am starting to get the hang of turning on the ground and full forward elevator does help but it is still very difficult and inconsistent at best!

Stanel

Post by Stanel » 08 Jun 2013, 21:19

Thanks. It works.

HighGround

Post by HighGround » 08 Jun 2013, 23:01

If it's already been mentioned somewhere here, please forgive. But it's a fairly simple matter to alter the steering from full-castering to rudder-type steering.

- Go into your AIRCRAFT.CFG file and scroll down to the section on [contact_points];
- copy the first data line ("point.0 = 1, -25.85, . . . .") and paste it back in underneath the original line;
- place to forward slants ("//") at the beginning of the original, first line (to preserve it in its original form);
- in the new second line, change the value "180" to "45";
- Save and Exit.
---------------------------
The first three lines will now look like this:

//point.0 = 1, -25.85, 0.00, -2.48, 1300, 0, 1.0, 180.0, 0.2, 2.0, 0.9, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.0 = 1, -25.85, 0.00, -2.48, 1300, 0, 1.0, 45.0, 0.2, 2.0, 0.9, 0.0, 0.0, 0
point.1 = 1, 1.25, -6.10, -8.43, 1300, 1, 1.8, 0.0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 2
point.2 = 1, 1.25, 6.10, -8.43, 1300, 2, 1.8, 0.0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 3
---------------------------
Hope that helps.
-Jon
-------

HAWK

Post by HAWK » 09 Jun 2013, 00:03

If you want to keep it realistic and keep the castoring tail wheel, go into the aircraft.cfg file and change the toe_brake_scale from 1.0 to 2.0

Note only do this if you have pedals with a brake axis! Just like what I've read on the real thing if you apply max braking it is possible to nose over! Benefit is the more effective brakes make ground handling much better! I might bump mine up to 2.5 and see how that works.
Gavin

IGrant

Post by IGrant » 09 Jun 2013, 00:56

With throttle, full forward yoke input and careful momentum management through the differential brakes it is possible to steer the plane as is. I haven't made any changes to the cfg, though I did see that mentioned before but it never hurts to make sure the info is out there.

I've found that using nearly 40%throttle (doesn't over heat the engine if you don't over do it) provides enough power to move against the brakes as well as provide some prop wash to provide a small amount of rudder effectiveness works well. You can stab at the brake a little giving a lot of input to try and swing the plane but mostly lightly 'drag' it to help maintain the turn. All the while keep forward pressure on the yoke to keep the tail light. I aim for about 8 on the MAP gauge to initiate and maintain turns.

It is definitely A LOT more difficult to manage, far more so than say a DC-3 in which the tail wheel seems to swivel quite readily. The other thing working against you is the single engine which is a disadvantage compared to a twin which can use asymmetric thrust to help steer.

A little bit of practice though and I am getting the hang of it with no modifications at all.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 13:26

And as I mentioned in another thread, I'm working on a bit different balance of rudder steering depending on speed and prop wash to increase steering ability. In reality the rudder helps nothing unless you increase the RPM. Steering is done with differential braking, but FSX is not 100% on one side, especially the more you brake. MS philosophy at the time of development.
Happy flying!
Alexander

alehead

Post by alehead » 09 Jun 2013, 13:55

I certainly will be grateful for any improvement in ground steering, as it is a bit of a pig to 180 at the end of a runway... :)

I really want to keep the castoring tail wheel in keeping with type...

Cheers