Eye point height

lesko

Eye point height

Post by lesko » 08 Jun 2013, 17:40

Having watched real world An-2 flying videos from the right seat on youtube and then flying your An-2 in FSX, I have experimented with raising the eye point by two clicks of shift+enter which greatly improved visibility over the engine cowl, much more like in the real airplane. Could you try to increase the height of the eye point in the aircraft.cfg file, even just one decimal point would be an improvement, from 3.2 to 3.3, I am sure most other users would also prefer it. I noticed the .cfg file is not editable therefore I cannot make the change myself.

Andrey
Site Admin

Re: Eye point height

Post by Andrey » 08 Jun 2013, 20:39

Hello,
Picture from an-2 flight tutorial:
an2fly15.jpg
an2fly15.jpg (20.56 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
"correct pilot position at horizontal flight"
from here (Russian)
http://rusaviagold.narod.ru/Tutotial/an2fly.htm

...probably you are right and we should add couple inches height to pilot :)

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 00:40

I will check this out. Be aware that the picture is from in flight!
We have provided a view which what is used on ground moving your head towards the side to view better.
Happy flying!
Alexander

lesko

Post by lesko » 09 Jun 2013, 03:54

At the moment I am looking through a gap between the air intake hump and the left upper cowl flap to try and line up with the runway for final approach. This is very annoying and does not help in making a well executed approach and landing. the same thing on take off and climb. In any case, just looking at the pilot's eye level in an outside locked view from the left wing, you can see that it should be much higher when looking ahead from the inside. You should be able to see some of the engine top surface and the cowl flap should not protrude much above the contour of the engine cowl leading edge. The picture Andrey shows in his reply illustrates well what I mean. Unless you prefer a very short pilot which I am not, hahaha. :grin: :grin:

lesko

Post by lesko » 09 Jun 2013, 05:10

lined up.jpg
lined up.jpg (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Screenshot with the eye point raised from 3.2 to 3.4 feet.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 13:20

Your freedom do set it as you want. Some are taller, some are smaller and each pilot has his reference points like you just said.
Happy flying!
Alexander

Adamski_NZ

Post by Adamski_NZ » 09 Jun 2013, 13:51

metzgergva wrote:Your freedom do set it as you want. Some are taller, some are smaller and each pilot has his reference points like you just said.
My solution was to set up a new camera viewpoint in OPUS - the "poke your head out of the left hand window" peek view, but with the zoom set to 100%. I found the default eyepoint in the default VC view OK (but I could also edit that in OPUS if I wanted) - just that I couldn't see in front when taxiing etc. EZ-DOK will do the same thing.

Adam.

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 09 Jun 2013, 14:16

It is impossible to find one view point for all users as they have different taste and screen size and ratio. I prefer to fly with zoom=0.5 because I have a 30" wide angle. I set the view point to what I can guess from pictures or having the chance to sit in the plane myself.
It is easy, even without any additional program, to adjust viewpoint and zoom to the individual situation.
Happy flying!
Alexander