Antonov An-2 Loadmanager

Springbok

Re: Antonov An-2 Loadmanager

Post by Springbok » 19 Jun 2013, 22:08

As promised before, Loadmanager now wears versionnumber 1.0.0.5.
Changes are:
• Enlarged the boxes.
• Added the ability that the user can enter a value to the cargo load box.
• Added a few topics to the Readme.
regards Kevin

hugo

Post by hugo » 21 Jun 2013, 13:57

Hi,

Thank you for your application but I am using Prepar3D as flight simulator and it seems that the Loadmanager cannot connect to FSUIPC4. Do I need to make some special arrangement?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 21 Jun 2013, 17:08

Hey Hugo, first of all thanks for pointing this out. I never thought about Prepar3D and to be honest I did not care about this, but as you pointed it out, take a look here:

V 1.0.0.6 released with Prepar3D support (and a lot of other additions/changes/fixes)!
Download it as always here in the first post and also soon from the SibWings page!
regards Kevin

hugo

Post by hugo » 22 Jun 2013, 22:07

Hello Kevin,

Still no luck, after the selection "P3D" I still get the message "FSUIPC not connected, can not load fuel to FSX"
Rgds,
Hugo

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 22 Jun 2013, 22:18

Ok you use P3D with FSUIPC latest version? Also the An-2 is loaded and FSUIPC is sending?
regards Kevin

hugo

Post by hugo » 22 Jun 2013, 22:49

Ok you use P3D with FSUIPC latest version? Also the An-2 is loaded and FSUIPC is sending?
Yes, changed from version 4.90 to 4.905, still no luck. FSUIPC4 is registered. AN-2 is loaded.

Rgds,

Hugo

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 22 Jun 2013, 22:54

V 1.0.0.7 released which fixed an odd bug that prevented Loadmanager to send the payload to Prepar3D (thank you Hugo for finding it!)
As always the new version can be found in the first post!
regards Kevin

hugo

Post by hugo » 23 Jun 2013, 00:01

Hi Kevin,

Connection seems ok now. Will check tomorrow if payload is really changed. Need to figure it out...

Thanks,

Hugo

adi518

Post by adi518 » 06 Jul 2013, 19:45

Looks nice, didn't get to use it yet. Tiny suggestion! Add a version indication in the pop-up 'About' window. :)

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 06 Jul 2013, 20:33

adi518 wrote:Add a version indication in the pop-up 'About' window.
Thanks for your suggestion! I always thought that this was difficult to add, however I was wrong. So I just added the version number on the main frame text and in the About screen. That results then in a new release of V 1.0.0.8 with that change. As always, find the new version here!

Thank you again adi518 for your suggestion and I hope you like it now even more :)
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 06 Jul 2013, 23:22

Hmm.. the sibwings an-2 has 6 passengers sits.. so why 12? I mean, I googled for an-2 interiors and I saw that some planes have one side populated with a longer sit to accommodate a total of 12 passengers but, in this case it's just 6 + 2 crew members. I don't get it then, lol.

Hmm.. I think you should limit the 'passenger weight' randomizing to a realistic range.. say 40-150kg. I mean, I chose a random payload to play around with it, and passenger weight hit like 1000kg haha. Also, I think crew members range should always be either 1 or 2. It can't be 0. Num of passenger should also be locked to 0-6/12 (whatever you decide). These are just small things that's going to make the randomizing a bit more efficient IMO.

You can if you want, slightly size up the data boxes to the right so they match with the height of the box containing the plane blueprint. Also give the box title some top-padding so it isn't placed so close to the parameter titles. Last thing.. 'take off weight' has green bg but the text is black.. it's unreadable so make the text white. ;)

PS,
Can you explain the 'weight & balance' box? I'm a noob in fsx, that's why I'm asking.

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 07 Jul 2013, 01:02

I go step to step through it:

Why 12 passengers?
I just kept myself strict to the aircraft.cfg in which is written the following (I hope I have the right to post this part here, if not please delete admins!):

Code: Select all

//12 pax 86 kg no luggage station - luggage at seats!
station_load.0  =353,  1.102,  0.0, 2.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.1  =110,  5.138,  0.0, 2.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.2  =190, -1.80, -1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.3  =190, -1.80,  0.625, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.4  =190, -1.80,  1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.5  =190, -3.80, -1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.6  =190, -3.80,  0.625, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.7  =190, -3.80,  1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.8  =190, -5.80, -1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.9  =190, -5.80,  0.625, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.10 =190, -5.80,  1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.11 =190, -7.80, -1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.12 =190, -7.80,  0.625, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.13 =190, -7.80,  1.875, 0.0         // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

station_name.0 = "2 Pilots 160kg"
station_name.1 = "Oil (35-85kg)"
station_name.2 = "Passenger 1" 
station_name.3 = "Passenger 2" 
station_name.4 = "Passenger 3" 
station_name.5 = "Passenger 4" 
station_name.6 = "Passenger 5" 
station_name.7 = "Passenger 6" 
station_name.8 = "Passenger 7" 
station_name.9 = "Passenger 8" 
station_name.10 = "Passenger 9" 
station_name.11 = "Passenger 10" 
station_name.12 = "Passenger 11" 
station_name.13 = "Passenger 12" 
I do not know where the SibWings team comes to that since I just used the aircraft.cfg to do the loadmanager, however for example check this page where you can see already a setting with 9 passengers + 2 crews in the front and just check the place which is still left in front of the airplane (if the angle does not give a wrong sight!). Also considering that the An-2 was only (!) a workhorse I think this 12 passengers are really a realistic value. (But I may be wrong since I never had/flew/see an An-2 in real life.)

About the passenger weight:
For every passenger I calculate 85kgs/187lbs and I also think that this is a realistic value for a flight on the An-2 since the FAA's standard passenger weight used to be 170lbs (Just here a chart (scroll down to the bottom) from Australia and well I just supposed that every passenger takes a little (hand) baggage with 7.7kgs/15lbs since I when I fly myself I have nearly every time the same weight (photo camera with the different objectives, logbook(s), clothing,...). Due to this the weight of every passenger is that "high" but as said this is with what I "supposed" to be right, however I am open to every criticism about this!

About the crew members:
Gotcha! I did a mistake in the algorithm of the randomization and due to this the crew member dissappears if you click more than once on random. That is now fixed and will be released with the upcoming version (I will wait until we solved here that passenger & weight "problem").

About the amount of passengers:
This is always fixed to the maximum of passengers which can be on board which is in our case 12 passengers. Or did you got another value for that once? (I am asking this since I checked that in the code and it should not be done...normally :) )

About the GUI:
The hints you gave have been taken and the right part got aligned to the left part, the group boxes got a bit of space from each other and the values in have been changed in order that it looks symmetrical :)

About the weight & balance:
That is more or less the airplane geometry dispatch if you want. With the values which are written in there a "normal" pilot should fly. That is part of the briefing and if you would fly like the pro's you are forced to calculate these values on your own (computer, tablets,.. are only for verification process). In case of an accident,.. you are normally asked for your calculations and if you do not have them then the insurance is not really friendly to you (happened to a person which flies in our community). About that weight & balance part, the most important part is the CoG (Center of Gravity) since this says you how your airplane is acting after take-off. However before telling you the wrong things I really like to forward you to this page which should explain everything. Together with the MAC this is the way to go in today's world :) However if you are a "noob" in that topic I really suggest you to read through the this site since it gives you all the (important) informations about what your airplane does and I can just advise you to click everywhere on that internet page since it is really the "basics" for aviation and about flying.

So I hope I did not forget something. If so please tell me :)
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 07 Jul 2013, 01:24

Right, so it's important to spread the weight through out the plane so the COG doesn't end up in a place that can badly impact the plane's capabilities to fly. Sort of like what happened with the 747 US cargo jet (Afghanistan I think) few months ago.. the cargo inside it was placed in the correct position, but got released during take off (unpurposely) and it brought the plane to an horrific crash.

Oh.. now I get the problem with the passenger weight. It's a typo. It was supposed to be written in plural, as in 'passengers weight'. I thought that's the weight per passenger. Should fix that typo then. :)

It also says "Numer of passengers' instead of 'Number...'. Just another typo I guess.

Btw, if you want, I could probably design a gui for your app. Something simple, but nice, to give it that extra touch.

For consistency's sake, type all labels with just a capital letter in the first word, eg: 'Cargo weight', 'Passengers weight'. It looks better that way.

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 07 Jul 2013, 01:36

Yes the CoG is more or less that, but it is even much more complicated since the CoG normally differs with the time due to fuel consumption, passengers going to the toilet (you are surely laughing now, but in little birds this really matters! (I remember a few years ago a Fokker 70 on our airport requested a slot later since they needed to replace several passengers in order to not get problems after take-off!) The 747 from Afghanistan was still another case since several (important) steps were not done but it is more or less the problem. For example an MD-11 is one of the example of an airplane which is so overpowered that you will get into air (if all the engines work) no matter what the guys behind you do and did.

Sorry for the typo. I corrected it now to "passengers weight". Also only first letter is now written in capital. Thanks for this hint too! :)

About your suggestion to redo the GUI I love, but how it looks now is already the V3 of the GUI since I first did it with the Metro style from Windows 8 and then I saw that it made problems on my Windows XP. The second, V2, then asked too much performance due to the blend overs, pictures and all those nice looking functions for such a little application and then I did the actual version of the GUI. Simple, not too much performance demanding and executable on every system from Windows XP and really nice if you are running like me the FSX in a network with your "EFB" a little notebook with little ressources. My aim is not that it looks nice (for sure in a way yes) but my aim is to create an application which just does what it should nevermind what Windows PC and performance you have :)
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 07 Jul 2013, 02:05

Ok, great, can't wait for next version. If I find more things, I'll post them asap. :)

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 08 Jul 2013, 00:30

V 1.0.0.9 released now!

For the complete changelog please take a look in the included .pdf-file. As always the newest version is available in here in the first post!
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 08 Jul 2013, 00:47

grey text on green bg is still not readable. :smt006

what does it mean trim for X seconds?

btw, looks like my an-2 is taking off so fast because it's "empty" of people and cargo. This app will certainly help increase realism!

adi518

Post by adi518 » 08 Jul 2013, 01:07

Ok.. few more things.. make the fuel input box so that I can change values using the arrow up/down keys and also make it support the backspace key so I can move to certain digit, delete it and insert a new one. Instead of deleting all digits up to the one I want.

Springbok

Post by Springbok » 08 Jul 2013, 01:22

The font of the green box changed now to white!

For the trim please look here. For the An-2 trim please take a look here (on page 20 items 34,35,36).

Sorry but I do not get the meaning of this sentence: "btw, looks like my an-2 is taking off so fast because it's "empty" of people and cargo. This app will certainly help increase realism!" Is it not working or?

About the fuel input box: just click on the slider and use the up- & downkeys and you can set the value correctly you want. Due to the previous sentence that manual change makes not really sense plus the slider is "attached" to that box so making it editable is in my opinion wrong no?
regards Kevin

adi518

Post by adi518 » 08 Jul 2013, 01:44

Noticed a new bug.. I have fsx selected in the menu, but I have to click it once I open the app, otherwise it shows 'fsuipc not connected'.