autopilot power

All problems and technical questions concerning our Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog are discussed here.
Timber

autopilot power

Post by Timber » 10 Nov 2010, 21:12

Benoit, I installed thee autopilot cfg you posted in July, Everything is there but I cannot get any power to it. Could you point me in the right direction.
Regards
Timber

Systerms Specs
Intel Corporation DG43NB AAE34877-402
3.15 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
Radeon HD 5770
Dual Monitors
Windows 7 Ultimate

Tigerclaw

Re: autopilot power

Post by Tigerclaw » 11 Nov 2010, 00:18

Maybe the Auto pilot master switch is off. Have you tried pressing Z on the keyboard at all? I've noticed that the STEC 55X is off by default, and needs to be turned on in this way. Maybe the auto pilot you are using needs the same?

Just a thought okay.

Tony

Timber

Post by Timber » 11 Nov 2010, 03:37

Tigerclaw wrote:Maybe the Auto pilot master switch is off. Have you tried pressing Z on the keyboard at all? I've noticed that the STEC 55X is off by default, and needs to be turned on in this way. Maybe the auto pilot you are using needs the same?

Just a thought okay.

Tony
Interesting Tony, The VS and ALT are on - Turning off the master planes battery will cut of the VA and ALT lighting but I cannot get the AP or any other buttons to light up and the plane is not following any AP directions. No response with the Z key.
Regards
Timber

Systerms Specs
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
Radeon HD 5770
Dual Monitors
Windows 7 Ultimate

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 11 Nov 2010, 11:17

I do believe you need to provide some changes into aircraft.cfg

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 11 Nov 2010, 19:07

Ah not following any directions? I had a small problem getting my auto pilot to follow the GPS course I had set. Is this what you refer to? It pretty much depends on what Auto pilot you are using, so I can only give basic hints. It is possible you are in NAV mode, and that's only good for ILS landings really. To follow the GPS course, which mine didn't no matter what I tried to press, you have to switch to GPS mode manually. In other GA planes there is usually a switch for this in the VC or 2d panel. As the BirdDog wasn't designed with an auto pilot you can switch this by the keyboard commands. Set a key up (or joystick button) for "Nav 1/GPS (toggle)" in the FSX button assignments screen.

Altitude is a different matter, and depends what Auto pilot you use. Some will allow you to set altitude (on the ground) that you want to fly to, and some won't. Some will allow you to set vertical speed while still on the ground, and some won't. I don't use an auto pilot in the BirdDog, but I have put auto pilots in other planes that didn't have one.

Timber

Post by Timber » 11 Nov 2010, 19:42

Thanks for your interest in this. Obviously I did not explain the problem well enough.
I modified the .cfg file using the instructions from the Autopilot entry on the forum. The HSI and Bendix AP gauge appear with the press of the shift-3 and 4 key no problem. I turn the planes master battery on. (The HSI works just fine)
The Autopilot gauge. Altitude and VS numbers light up just fine. I can adjust either by pushing the "UP" or "DN" buttons. The AP, HDG, NAV, APR, REV,ALT buttons are not working. Normally you can push one of these and they light up -they do not and that's the problem.
Regards
Timber

Systerms Specs
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
Radeon HD 5770
Dual Monitors
Windows 7 Ultimate

bmd

Post by bmd » 12 Nov 2010, 00:56

Hello Timber,

In order that everybody may ynderstand the problem about the autopilot let me say first that the original topic was here
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=857

I use the Cessna autopilot (Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP) with the F-GDPF model (SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_E) With this model there is no avionic switch. So if I push the AP button it light on.

In other Birddog model you may have an avionic switch (or equivalent switvch) to put ON before using the autopilot.

Have a good day

Benoit

Timber

Post by Timber » 12 Nov 2010, 02:07

Benoit, As you know all the planes are defaulted to the "E" panel. What I did not do is charge up the AP in the config file for the other models. It's working now.
Thank you very much. And thank you again Andrey and Tigerclaw for your response.
Regards
Timber

Systerms Specs
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
Radeon HD 5770
Dual Monitors
Windows 7 Ultimate