Support request (flaps)

All problems and technical questions concerning our Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog are discussed here.
Tigerclaw

Support request (flaps)

Post by Tigerclaw » 11 Jul 2010, 18:56

Hi,

I've got the update for the Dog, and since the update the flaps sound no longer synchronise with the animation.

I realise that this is an on-going fault, and has bee posted elsewhere, but not specifically in its own thread. It is my wish to keep any information regarding this issue in one place. ie. HERE.

I'll give you a bit of background, so you know it wasn't always an issue with my PC. I bought the BirdDog a few weeks ago, and had no problems with installing it. Others were reporting issues with this fault, and also flight dynamics. I had no such faults. I fully tested the flap sync issue in every model, from different view points, and with different controls (key presses, joystick buttons, and levers). The sync was most definitely in line with the animation, and I posted such in a mixed issue thread.

Now since installing the update, these are my findings: First notch of flaps, the sound is about 2 and half times that of the animation. Two notches, is perfectly matched. Three notches, again is perfectly matched. Four notches, the sound is about one and a half times than that of the animation. Five notches, again one and a half times than that of the animation. Five up to four, one and a half, four to three, one and a half times, three to two, perfect, two to one, perfect, and one to flaps fully up, two and a half times again.

I have changed the swflaps.wav sound file with the original version sound file, and the fault still exists. I have compared all the .cfg files I can see, and cannot see any flap related changes. I've even looked in the .cab files, and the .xml files (although not sure what I'm looking for in those), and I still can't see what may have caused this issue.

I didn't change, or install, anything on my system between the time I installed the original file and the update. So I know it isn't a conflict with some other piece of new software. I'm not a developer, or programmer, but I do have some common sense. So can we work together on this to sort it all out? If I know how the flap command is implemented, maybe I can start looking between what I had before, and what I have now.

My system is as follows:
Windows XP Pro
Intel core 2 duo 1.87Ghz
2 Gig Ram
Geforce GT240 with 1 Gig memory
On board sound + Audigy ZS

Thanks for your time, excellent work so far.

Tony

Ron Attwood

Re: Support request (flaps)

Post by Ron Attwood » 12 Jul 2010, 02:44

I for one cannot understand the reluctance to even acknowledge that this problem even exists. Come on guys, it can't be that much of a problem to fix. If it worked fine in the previous version how hard can it be? If it IS difficult at least say so! Ignoring it wont make it go away. You fixed a bunch of things just finish up the last bits C'mon, you're on a roll!
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

mos

Post by mos » 12 Jul 2010, 05:33

Try to see what happens if you raise "extending-time" from = 12.4 , to = 25.0 (in all three ([flaps.0] / [flaps.1] / [flaps.2]) aircraft. cfg )) and from there fine tune.

(This "= 25.0" change would fit almost, perfectly, if there was only 5 "flaps-position", instead of 6 (at least at my system) but the values, would look totally different than default).

mos

PS: (If it's OK with "SW-lap" I could add my changes here, (so people could try it out) but I need a go for that.))

metzgergva

Post by metzgergva » 12 Jul 2010, 13:35

The goal of the FDX development was to represent correctly the lift, drag and pitch effects of the typical flaps settings. This can only be done by splitting things out and the result is the proper flying behavior. But the same sound is assigned by FSX to each step and if the travel time is different, btw only the overall time can be set, and definde by the degrees it is repeated if needed. This makes it difficult to define the right sound and especially sound length. Let SWL work on it. We know it does not match every stage as Ron pointed out correctly. But priority was on flying right not sounding right.
Maybe we find a better set to match all stages. No promise though.
Happy flying!
Alexander

mos

Post by mos » 12 Jul 2010, 14:16

metzgergva wrote:The goal of the FDX development was to represent correctly the lift, drag and pitch effects of the typical flaps settings. This can only be done by splitting things out and the result is the proper flying behavior. But the same sound is assigned by FSX to each step and if the travel time is different, btw only the overall time can be set, and definde by the degrees it is repeated if needed. This makes it difficult to define the right sound and especially sound length. Let SWL work on it. We know it does not match every stage as Ron pointed out correctly. But priority was on flying right not sounding right.
Maybe we find a better set to match all stages. No promise though.

Lift, drag, pitch, seems to be the same, (with the changes I'm talking about), only the flaps don't go down so rapidly, (but of course I could be wrong). :wink:

mos

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 12 Jul 2010, 14:42

At last an answer,for which we thank you. So that means 'live with it, it's an FSX thing? :? Or do as I've done and replaced the swflaps .wav with the flaps wav from Carenado's 152 (I've trawled through loads of flaps sounds and that, to my mind, is the least irritating! :grin:
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

mos

Post by mos » 12 Jul 2010, 15:00

Ron Attwood wrote:At last an answer,for which we thank you. So that means 'live with it, it's an FSX thing? :? Or do as I've done and replaced the swflaps .wav with the flaps wav from Carenado's 152 (I've trawled through loads of flaps sounds and that, to my mind, is the least irritating! :grin:
Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell, maybe dangerous :grin:

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 12 Jul 2010, 15:37

Thank you Alexander for your reply.
I took a lot of time testing this issue, as stated in my original post, so it's nice to know someone is working on it. If I can give you any more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Although I'm not into development, I'm pretty good at finding things that don't work :grin: Ask my friends, I can't fly, but I crash well :lol:

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 12 Jul 2010, 17:01

Ron Attwood wrote: .....Or do as I've done and replaced the swflaps .wav with the flaps wav from Carenado's 152 (I've trawled through loads of flaps sounds and that, to my mind, is the least irritating! :grin:
Scrub that. The default Cessna 172 is better. It syncs with most positions and I'm training myself not to look at the flaps. The side effect of that is that approaches are a bit tidier. :lol:

Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw » 20 Jul 2010, 04:25

Ron Attwood wrote:
Ron Attwood wrote:I'm training myself not to look at the flaps.
You shouldn't have time to look at them anyway, because you are supposed to retrim the aircraft and keep your vertical speed in check when operating the flaps. Eyes forward! ;)

And there even is a cockpit instrument for the flap angle. :grin:

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 20 Jul 2010, 22:52

The great thing about the flight sim community is that there is always someone to point the way. :grin:
Ron wrote:The side effect of that is that approaches are a bit tidier. :lol:

Shame you didn't quote that bit as well. I wouldn't have looked quite such a dick. :grin:

I've only been flight simming for 6 months, but I've noticed that it has it's share of schizophrenia. One side saying "This button turns to the left in the real plane and right in the sim, it must be changed!" or "The house in this bit of scenery is actually 15 yards further south, will there be a fix?" Then the other side says "Meh, the flaps sounds don't sync, don't worry about it" :?
I expect I'll fall into one camp or another soon enough. :)

I have learned one thing though, whimsy doesn't work. :roll:

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 21 Jul 2010, 05:01

Washed out at the RAF recruiting office, eh, Ron? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]