RESOLVED: BirdDog 1.2 CTD

All problems and technical questions concerning our Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog are discussed here.
Alan_A

RESOLVED: BirdDog 1.2 CTD

Post by Alan_A » 09 Jul 2010, 09:59

Am grateful for the BirdDog update but I've got a problem - FSX crashes to desktop as soon as I select it from the aircraft menu. This happens with all the BirdDog models I've tested, and doesn't happen with any other aircraft.

Initially, per a post on Sim Outhouse, I installed the new version over the old one. But when the crashes started happening, I uninstalled using add/remove programs, then re-installed 1.2. Didn't solve the problem - crashes continue. I also tried loading my default flight with the default Cessna 172, then selecting the BirdDog from the Aircraft menu. Same thing. Crash happens whenever I select the BirdDog, no matter when that is.

My system specs are below. Happy to try any and all solutions - would really like to get this one flying.

Thanks in advance for any light that anyone can shed.

Best,
Alan

Sim System: Core i7 965 @ 3.875GHz | Asus P6T Deluxe | 6GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600 @ 6-8-6-24 | Silverstone tj09 case w/6 Scythe SFLEX-F fans | Thermalright 120 Extreme | PC Power & Cooling 750W power supply | EVGA GTX 480 SC, Forceware 257.21, NickN NHancer-equivalent profiles | Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition @ 5040 x 1050 | 3 Dell 20" Widescreen monitors | 3Ware 9650SE 4-lane RAID card | Windows 7 on 250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 | FSX on dedicated 300GB WD Velociraptor | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 backup drive on motherboard SATA | Logitech G940 | FS Force 2.5 | ASE | FTX | UTX | GEX | REX | MyTraffic 5.3 | FSUIPC 4 | OS and FSX tuned per Nick N specification
Last edited by Alan_A on 09 Jul 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Alex
Site Admin

Re: BirdDog 1.2 CTD

Post by Alex » 09 Jul 2010, 10:03

Hello Alan,

1. Check that compatible mode is off for FSX (right click on FSX, properties, compatible ..... ). (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... lity-mode/)
2. Try to run FSX as Administrator
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

Alan_A

Re: BirdDog 1.2 CTD

Post by Alan_A » 09 Jul 2010, 10:46

And... compatibility mode turned out to be the problem. I turned it off and everything runs fine.

Now if only I could remember why I turned it on in the first place. Something to do with the ENB mod or the 257.21 drivers or both... Can't tell because everything runs fine now without it. Too much stuff going on in my FSX system.

No matter. The main thing is the BirdDog is great - an absolute pleasure.

Thanks for your help with my glitch and thanks to you, Alexander Metzger and everybody else who helped with the 1.2 update.

Best,
Alan

Alex
Site Admin

Re: RESOLVED: BirdDog 1.2 CTD

Post by Alex » 09 Jul 2010, 10:57

Thanks for kind words!
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

CBris

Post by CBris » 09 Jul 2010, 11:34

As for the nVidia drivers - this does seem to be one strange beast. I have had similar crashes with one plane or another in the past.

I can't be sure and I am not pointing fingers. But I get the feeling that person A's PC with nVidia driver "B" will work, while a different users PC but with the same drivers won't. I had problems with 197.45 - others didn't, now I have installed the 257 drivers and I can fly crash-free.

My question to those who might know:

Could these funny crashes also depend on the developer of a model and upon which drivers he had installed (and/or what configuration his PC is in) at the time he programs his model?
Chris B, aka "Dances with paintbrushes", aka EagleSkinner

All new "EagleSkinner" repaints can be found on my homepage - eagleskinner dot com (rebuild is now in progress)

Drop by my blog sometime
Follow me on Facebook too

Ferror

Post by Ferror » 09 Jul 2010, 23:54

My FsX is crashing too whenever I try to select the Bird Dog and unfortunately the two steps mentioned above do not resolve the problem for me. I do get a warning about the Bird Dog.dll but if I click yes all I get is a black aircraft preview screen and FsX stops responding.
I'm running FsX with Acceleration with a fairly clean install (After a disastrous Windows crash about two weeks ago..) with only a few add-on aircraft and one small piece of scenery at the moment.
My computer: i7 core 920 @3.2Ghz, MSi X58Pro-E, 6Gb Ram, GTX275 896mb, 1Tb HDD; Windows 7 64-bit is installed.

Ferror

Post by Ferror » 10 Jul 2010, 00:14

Found the solution: Turn off Panda Antivirus. Apparently it was blocking the Bird Dog.

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 10 Jul 2010, 01:41

o_0

Thanks for finding :)
It first time when antivirus blocks BirdDog...
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

BirdDog89

Post by BirdDog89 » 13 Jul 2010, 20:35

Hi Guys,

This is my very first post on Sibwings :) I have a slight problem I asked Alex in an email to help me and he told me to check this post for my problem but nothing helped! well this is the problem, when I load the Birddog I can fly it but as soon as I put a payload on (bombs, rockets, ect, ect) it crashes FSX. Does anyone have this same problem or can someone help?

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 13 Jul 2010, 21:50

Bombs and rockets!? I didn't know you could have bombs and rockets. :o How does that sit with a flight simulator as opposed to a combat sim? The good citizens of Concrete and Darrington ain't gonna like that! And dropping one down the chimney of Israel's farm will make him madder than a hornet.
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

BirdDog89

Post by BirdDog89 » 13 Jul 2010, 21:59

Yea Ron you press Control Shift then a number. It says it in the manual.

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 13 Jul 2010, 22:33

Oh man ... I don't know how I can help you... because you are the first with this problem and I can't get it on my system.
Maybe you need to update driver for your video card or play with FSX setting ?
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

BirdDog89

Post by BirdDog89 » 14 Jul 2010, 00:29

Its ok Alex I still love flying the birddog! Im going to try to fix it. It never use to do this on my computer and it just started all of a sudden :(

mos

Post by mos » 14 Jul 2010, 06:34

BirdDog89 wrote:Hi Guys,

This is my very first post on Sibwings :) I have a slight problem I asked Alex in an email to help me and he told me to check this post for my problem but nothing helped! well this is the problem, when I load the Birddog I can fly it but as soon as I put a payload on (bombs, rockets, ect, ect) it crashes FSX. Does anyone have this same problem or can someone help?
Hi B-D-89 !
I had a similar problem, that crashes FSX, when I have loaded the Bird-Dog, sometimes It was, when I changed to outside look, or took a landing with "ski" down, or wanted to change to another Bird-Dog model, sometimes it was, when I wanted to leave FSX, with the Bird-Dog loaded, (jammed hole system (and sometimes, as you,- "put a payload " on) and my system is XP-pro)))
My solution on this strange problem was to choose the default C-172, and when everything was loaded, then change to a Bird-Dog model, from the drop down menu, (and Bird-Dog stopped crashing my system) :?: ) don't ask me why, but it helped)) I had the same problem, after the update, and then did the trick I just mentioned))).
Maybe it can solve your problem.

mos

PS: "Ron" ("Bombs and rockets!?"), didn't you reed your manual. :lol: (but the "marking" smoke rockets is great) just would like a button for that, so I didn't have to fire from VC) maybe there is one) :?: )))
Last edited by mos on 14 Jul 2010, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jul 2010, 11:57

Nobody recognises 'tongue in cheek' these days. :(
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Blackace16

Post by Blackace16 » 14 Jul 2010, 18:02

Concerning the firing procedures in the flight sim: The current firing procedures are incorrect -- and the developers are aware. The emergency salvo switch on the panel is what it implies: an immediate way to fire all rockets at one time in the event of an emergecy -- such as an impending crash. In reality, military birddogs were also equipped with an armament firing panel - located above and to the left of the pilots head (see cockpit picture in my update post of 6 June). These panels were configured to fire four or eight rockets and had the same number of firing swithches -- protected by swing out red covers. Typically, the pilot would select a tube to fire and then uncover and arm the switch. Once armed, the pilot would fire the rocket by pressing a switch on the front of the flight control stick (just like a gaming joystick). I have referenced the arming switch details in the O-1 Operator Manual for the developers. Hopefully, if a future update of the aircraft is made, the firing panel and procedures will be included.

HighGround

Post by HighGround » 06 Dec 2010, 03:43

I just wanted to thank you folks for helping me with my problem. Likewise, every time I selected a Bird-Dog item from the Select Aircraft list, I got an immediate CTD! (Win7 64-bit). Fortunately I didn't have to enter a long, weepy, sniveling Hopeful-Gram on the Forum. After reading here, I checked and sure 'nuff, my Compatibility Mode was ON.

All fixed and having fun with this marvelous aerodyne! Many thanks guys!

Oh . . . and . . . did I really see the word "Amphibian" used in the future tense, somewhere here? Be still, my heart!

Cheers,
-Jon
-------

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 06 Dec 2010, 17:14

Yes you did see it, but it's no longer the future, it's been released. Pop over to the "Surprise" thread in the "General" section, and go get it :)