Modelling issue - small thing in front and below.

All problems and technical questions concerning our Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog are discussed here.
Dag

Modelling issue - small thing in front and below.

Post by Dag » 13 Jan 2010, 23:35

Hi,

This is pretty difficult to explain but there's some small "thing" appearing in front and quite a bit below the ski model O-1A. First I thought it was a shadow on the ground but I discovered it moved when banking the aircraft. It looks like a bird kind of thing and in scale it could be 1000 ft below and in front. Very difficult to illustrate.

Thanks
Dag

Andrey
Site Admin

Re: Modelling issue - small thing in front and below.

Post by Andrey » 17 Jan 2010, 01:01

If it's possible please do the picture.

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

FlameOut

Post by FlameOut » 17 Jan 2010, 08:06

Hello, this is my second post here on the forum and I think I can confirm this oddity.
I thought I'd seen this before when I made my first flight in the "float" version a day or two after my purchase but I brushed it off as the aircraft shadow !

Today I went looking for it and I tell you that it is very elusive. I spent about an hour flying over the default start up location ... Friday Harbor. I passed the time away by yawing the aircraft from side to side, diving, climbing, rolling, banking, all the while changing altitude levels, flying over water and various terrain features, towards the Sun and away from the Sun,... I saw nothing! I even fired a couple of the marker rockets at a few ships below, thinking that it might be some sort of left over rocket fragment.
Then as I was about to give up I saw it... down there in front and forward of the aircraft... see attached pics...
As one can surmise I was flying relatively towards the Sun... so this was no shadow. It moved "like a shadow" relative to the aircraft as viewed from the spot view mode.

...then I lost it... :smt117

Still screenies just do not do it justice and it is very elusive so it really does not cause any distraction while flying. I thought that I was experiencing "floaters" in my eyes or was developing a "detached retina".

Things that have had an effect on this oddity :

... I fly Preview DirectX 10 mode always
... I fly with Light Bloom on
... I have an nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked 512 MB with the 195.62 driver
... I fired marker rockets
... I fly with landing lights on while below 10,000 ft.

The other little thing that I noticed was that the Quartz chronometer in the "float" version is running a little fast. It will pass the time at a rate of about 1 hour in our true to life time continuum of only 12-15 minutes :smt005
My engine "state cfg. time" in the "float version is:

AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/SimObjects/SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_Float

[engine.0]
accumulated_time=1.704285

...the quartz chronometer sez I got close to 17 hrs. in her.

I quess the forum only allows reduced pixel size screenies.

Only trying to help and offer possible factors that may influence this little oddity.
She sure is beautiful ! :smt006

bushpilot

Post by bushpilot » 17 Jan 2010, 13:57

I can confirm it's there, it is triangular shaped and moves with the aircraft

Shot (zoomed in from behind the plane)

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 17 Jan 2010, 19:44

Ok, guys, will be fixed. Thanks for catching :)

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

CBris

Post by CBris » 18 Jan 2010, 20:27

Hawkeyes!
Chris B, aka "Dances with paintbrushes", aka EagleSkinner

All new "EagleSkinner" repaints can be found on my homepage - eagleskinner dot com (rebuild is now in progress)

Drop by my blog sometime
Follow me on Facebook too

teeboy

Post by teeboy » 20 Jan 2010, 21:33

Was flying around Orbx Lilydale in sunny Oz today and noticed that during a replay. I spent a while moving the viewpoint around to see what it was, but got no-where. All I had done was take off and start a circuit, nothing else. I assumed it was something scenery related but it is peculiar as it seems to stay in the same place below and forward of the aircraft. Glad its not a graphics issue with just me. I've been flying this thing around since Dec 26th and only just noticed it - someone has better eyesight than me!

Nick.