GPS

All problems and technical questions concerning our Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog are discussed here.
Timber

GPS

Post by Timber » 01 Jan 2010, 03:57

Purchased the Bird Dog today, loaded and flew some check rides; Marvelous plane down to the real details. Flight dynamics are awsome, as is everything else about it.
Had a couple of guys online to give me some pointers while walking thorough everything. I did come across one problem, the GPS will not fire up. I have the battery and alternatior on along with everything else. The GPS will show using the Shift +2 but it will not turn on. Any suggestions.
Regards
Timber

Systerms Specs
Intel Corporation DG43NB AAE34877-402
3.15 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
3068 Mg Memory
1TB SataII 7200RMP HD
Radeon HD 5770
Dual Monitors
Windows 7 Ultimate

dusty_sourdough

Re: GPS

Post by dusty_sourdough » 12 Jul 2010, 13:07

My GPS is not working either.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 12 Jul 2010, 15:18

I had this and I discovered that if you save a Microsoft aircraft as default (mine is the 172) (check the GPS works) then select your BirdDog from the options screen as normal then your GPS will work. I made the mistake of having the BirdDog as default and as it doesn't appear to have GPS as part of the specifications, it wont show. Hope that makes sense. :)
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 27 Sep 2010, 21:33

I just found this by accident, but I think what Ron is talking about is only half correct. The reason the GPS probably isn't working for some people is down to the "Avionics" being switched off. There is no avionics switch in the bird dog, but you can still toggle the avionics through FSX keyboard short cuts. If you go to Settings, controls, buttons/keys and look for the avionics toggle command, assign a key (temporarily if need be) and just toggle them on. Once that is done the GPS will come on when battery is turned on. :)

Fot those that still want to use the BirdDog as a default flight, you can assign a key permanently, and just "pretend" the BirdDog has a switch for Avionics :)

This for others that may come across this in the future :)

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 27 Sep 2010, 23:02

My real problem was with the Safir 91B (and ONLY the 91B) where the GPS turned itself off after 10 minutes. Making the Trike my default aircraft magically cured it. I can say no more.
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.