220th RAC Repaint

Everything concerning Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog is discussed here.
Roughrider

220th RAC Repaint

Post by Roughrider » 09 Aug 2010, 06:48

At my request Jim Hodkinson has just completed another detailed Bird Dog repaint. This time the subject aircraft is a restored F Model in the livery of the U.S. Army's Vietnam-era 220th Reconnaissance Airplane Company. As most everyone probably knows, the 220th RAC was the subject of Jim Hooper's great book, "A Hundred Feet Over Hell".

The repaint features an authentic 220th RAC high-visibility paint scheme as well as a custom black panel. Download it here:

http://www.filefront.com/17182948/220_R ... Dog_02.zip

Enjoy!

Roughrider

Blackace16

Re: 220th RAC Repaint

Post by Blackace16 » 09 Aug 2010, 07:08

Roughrider

I am a former 21st RAC (Blackace) and 220th RAC (Catkiller) unit member. Have been involved with the developers for over a year now in the development and testing of the O-1/ L-19 flight sim model. I have hoped for sometime now that someone would come up with a good paint of either a 21st or 220th bird. What is your connection with the 220th? I was with them several months in 1969 flying missions along the DMZ in D and G models. Must confess I am not much into actual programing. My assistance has been giving assistance in developing flight dynamics and cockpit visuals/instrument functions. Can yougive suggestions on how to incorporate the paint? Thanks.

Blackace 16 - Catkiller 44

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » 09 Aug 2010, 07:28

Hi Blacklace 16 / Catkiller 44

To install the repaint is really no more than two copy and paste operations, to give you an idea of the installation here is a copy of the included installation procedure for this, and to be honest almost all repaints in FSX……

SibWings Lab L-19/O-1F BirdDog 220 RAC installation instructions

A repaint of the SibWings Lab BirdDog in 220 RAC colours.

Make backups before you start if you are not sure.

Add the Texture.220RAC folder to your SibWings folder. .../Microsoft Games/FSX/Airplanes/SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_F/

Then, add the following to your Aircrft.cfg file (replacing the XX’s with the next available number)

[fltsim.XX]
title=BirdDog O-1F 220 RAC
sim=Cessna_L-19_V2.0
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=220RAC
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=N9001R
ui_manufacturer="Cessna"
ui_type="L-19/O-1F BirdDog"
ui_variation=220 RAC
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="SibWings Lab."
description="Bird Dog 0-15013 served with the 220th Reconnaissance Airplane Company (RAC), the subject of Jim Hooper's book One Hundred Feet Over Hell."

And basically that is it, you should be good to go.

If anybody does have any problems or issues with the repaint, or would like anything changing, adding or subtracting, then just let me know, and I will try my best to assist.

Just in case anybody was wondering which particular variant of the 220 RAC that I was asked to help with, here is a screen shot of her.

Take care, and have fun.

Jim Hodkinson
Attachments
220_RAC_L19_F.jpg
220_RAC_L19_F.jpg (69.01 KiB) Viewed 8275 times

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 10 Aug 2010, 03:09

Just a quick FSX aircraft path correction, Jim :-

[drive]:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_F

... and it's an honor to fly this aeroplane, and to read the input from guys like Blackace. Thank you.
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » 10 Aug 2010, 06:29

Hi Paul

Firstly, thank you for such kind comments, they really are appreciated, but a lot of the hard work was done by “roughrider” by keeping me up to date on the research he was doing on this particular aircraft, which made my part in this a lot easier.

And as you say to hear the input from the actual guys that flew these aircraft really is an honour.

As for the installation notes then I have to take the hit on that one, and thanks for the heads up on the error, I sometimes forget that my installation is not the default, as I have it installed on a separate drive, and also as noted in the install notes, in a differently named folder, so I have updated the zip archive with the installation notes edited in line with your discovery, and if anybody would like to download the latest version then here is the download link for the files..

http://www.filefront.com/17188559/220_R ... Dog_03.zip

Thanks again Paul for both the extremely kind comments, and the installation noted correction, and if yourself or anybody else, finds or wants anything at all changing, then please do not hesitate in letting me know, and I will try my best to assist.

Jim Hodkinson

Blackace16

Post by Blackace16 » 10 Aug 2010, 16:23

Hi Jim,

I wish to thank you for responding so quickly to my request on how to install your repaint of the Catkiller bird. I also got a private email from Roughrider outlining the install steps. With the great instructions from the both of you, I am sure I will have no problems installing this bird. On behalf of all Catkillers,I wish to thank Roughrider for his excellent research in providing details for your repaint and your efforts in bring Army 15013 to life. BTW, if you haven't seen your creation in actual flight, go to the following linK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9YhZq1znGs. At about the 2:00 minute mark of the 8mm film in the link, you will see a Catkiller in flight near the DMZ. This is some of the footage I took in late 69'. Enjoy.

Blackace 16

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » 10 Aug 2010, 17:50

Hi Blackace 16

Thank you sir very much for those extremely kind words, they really do mean a lot, especially coming from a man such as yourself, and thank you also for sharing that incredible footage, now I am not a real world pilot, so flying the Bird Dog would be OK, filming again would be OK, but flying her and filming, especially in a high threat environment, well that takes a very different calibre of pilot, of which I am certainly not one.

If you ever need anything altering on the 220 RAC repaint, or indeed would like to suggest a repaint scheme, then do not hesitate to let me know, it would be a honour to help if I can, just as it has been an honour replying to you post.

Take care, and thanks again.

Jim Hodkinson