Nothing to do with updates

Everything concerning Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog is discussed here.
Ron Attwood

Nothing to do with updates

Post by Ron Attwood » 18 Jun 2010, 03:59

This evening I made a flight from Vashon Island (just love that municipal!)to Darrington WA, in my battered BirdDog. I've made the trip several times, but with the safety net of GPS and a flight plan and going the other way. Tonight, feeling a bit cocky, I thought I'd try something a little different. I started from Vashon Municipal with no FP thinking that I knew the route backwards. Long story short, I took a wrong turn somewhere and found myself in the mountains having to fly higher and higher! :smt107 It's daft I know, but it was getting scary and I'm thinking OMG, I'm lost! [-o< I'm desperately, yes, desperately looking for somewhere to land....Nothing! Eventually I spy a blue circular icon with EAT next to it. As I got nearer, Hallelujah! It was an airport. :grin:
Two questions, one; Is it right that a grown man should frighten himself like this, when he can easily hit 'Esc'?
Two; I couldn't find any reference to EAT on Google Earth even giving the map reference. What's THAT about?

Cheers, Ron

EDIT: Despite being stressed out I made a nice smooth landing. (Thought I'd let you know. :grin: )
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Alan_A

Re: Nothing to do with updates

Post by Alan_A » 18 Jun 2010, 09:04

Funny you should mention this. I've been trying to teach myself dead recokining, and the other day I took off from Stark's Twin Oaks in another manufacturer's aircraft (OK, the RealAir Citabria, if you're curious), bound for Tilamook. Made the mistake of trusting the map more than my headings, followed the wrong road, and after getting really concerned about the length of the flight, found myself above a narrow flat plain right against the sea. Broke down, checked the GPS and found out I was in Astoria. Landed safely, feeling happy to have landed anywhere...

Back to class tomorrow with pencil, plotter and E6B...

Best,
Alan

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 18 Jun 2010, 12:41

Well that IS interesting because I made a note of the coordinates from the FSX map and entered them in Google Earth. Apparently I ended up in High Street, Manilla, Phillipines! :lol:
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Alan_A

Post by Alan_A » 18 Jun 2010, 22:20

Now that takes talent. And big fuel tanks. And maybe a few of these.

Or does it all come down to... bad code...?

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 18 Jun 2010, 23:18

yeah, but Ron didn't say how much booze he had consumed when he did the flight plan.... he was following some of the Great Circle Routes.... :grin:
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 19 Jun 2010, 00:32

This is the position as per FSX map: N47° 24.10 W120° 12.42 (somewhere in Washington state)
Google Earth didn't recognise that format so I put in: 47° 24.10N 120° 12.42W (High Street Manilla)

And stop laughing at my plight you unsympathetic buggers!

Paul, go and test something!

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 21 Jun 2010, 03:03

hahahaheheheh!!!! yeah ok, Ron... hahahaha...
:lol: :smt005 :smt005 :P :smt026 :smt005 :lol: :roll: :smt005
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

Crusader

Re: Nothing to do with updates...Ron and others

Post by Crusader » 08 Jul 2010, 02:27

Hay Ron , Check this out . I notice you and quite a few here fly in Washington State(me included) . It's a PDF file(manual) that might be very useful . It was posted on sim-outhouse.com a few days ago .
Very interesting and helpful for those of us that get lost once in awhile . :?

Check it out : http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/F1 ... sGuide.pdf

Rich

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 08 Jul 2010, 02:46

Terrific, thanks a lot. I spend a lot of time mooching around Darrington/Concrete through to Vashon and back.

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 08 Jul 2010, 16:00

This is beautiful, Rich. It's a pretty useful pdf, so thanks!
Yeah - for GA and testing the BD the OrbX PACNW and AWO Arlington is my home base, too - as it's very frame-friendly, has good runways and approaches, and is well-positioned for excursions "up-country".
Paul J

mos

Post by mos » 09 Jul 2010, 00:20

Hi Rich !
I can only ditto, what Ron and Paul already mentioned, above, thanks, it's about the only area ("PNW" /ORBX /NA BLUE) I fly in, (bay the way, same things happened before PNW/ORBX, but with: UTX Canada,. Ground Environment X USA-Canada., FS Global 2008., Ground Details FSX., Cuatro Bundle Pack), and here ORBX-"PNW" is really a step in the right directions (except for Seattle / Vancouver) default around 40 fsp, - ORBX PNW Seattle / Vancouver 12-15 fps)??) anyway, a Bird-Dog haven't much to do there, I guess)).
But again thanks for sharing "PDF file(manual)".

mos