Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog flight behaviour

Everything concerning Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog is discussed here.
VPA159

Re: Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog flight behaviour

Post by VPA159 » 07 Jul 2010, 18:11

I'm trawling too, waiting for the update and feedback before deciding to buy it or not. Quiet forum lurkers unite! :lol:

No news for quite some time. Any news on the development? What unforseen stuff is delaying the release? Is the FDE programmer on vacation? Anything?

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 07 Jul 2010, 18:24

VPA159 wrote:I'm trawling too, waiting for the update and feedback before deciding to buy it or not. Quiet forum lurkers unite! :lol:

No news for quite some time. Any news on the development? What unforseen stuff is delaying the release? Is the FDE programmer on vacation? Anything?
On this forum, no one will hear you scream. :twisted:
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

VPA159

Post by VPA159 » 09 Jul 2010, 02:42

No screams, just a bit itchy to try her out. :P

Well now that the update's out I hope the people who were questioning the FDE have some feedback? Does she fly by the numbers, better on take-offs, has proper spin characteristics and all that?

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 09 Jul 2010, 02:56

VPA159 wrote:No screams, just a bit itchy to try her out. :P

Well now that the update's out I hope the people who were questioning the FDE have some feedback? Does she fly by the numbers, better on take-offs, has proper spin characteristics and all that?
Yeah, all that.
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

mos

Post by mos » 09 Jul 2010, 04:33

Yes all in all, its much better, but I still have a few complains about flight behaviour, (when we go fore the extreme) but for all day flying, it's much better.
And the gyro-compass, is still jamming and spinning after a loop, (maybe it's normal in a Bird-Dog)?).
The contact point of wingtip isn't right, (still digging several feet into the ground (try to just kiss the "field", with the wing tip and see what happens).
And the flap sound don't "fit", (but that I already have fixed).

mos

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 09 Jul 2010, 04:39

mos wrote:.

mos
How? Do tell. :)

mos

Post by mos » 09 Jul 2010, 05:00

Ron Attwood wrote:
mos wrote:.

mos
How? Do tell. :)
I have added it here, when I started this topic, and removed it, as explained earlier, ( "How? Do tell" = I think I will wait a bit with that, - don't want to start a "fight" once more :grin: ).

But you could always try:
to see what happens if you raise "extending-time" from = 12.4 ,
to = 25.0 (in all three ([flaps.0] / [flaps.1] / [flaps.2]) aircraft. cfg )) and from there fine tune. :grin:

(This "= 25.0" change would fit almost, perfectly, if there was only 5 "flaps-position", instead of 6 (at least at my system) but the values, would look totally different than default).

mos
Last edited by mos on 12 Jul 2010, 13:25, edited 7 times in total.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 09 Jul 2010, 14:56

Please yourself. But that has an air of petulance about it. :?

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 09 Jul 2010, 17:58

Mos - there was no "fight" that you allude to. You were posting your changes to the fdx while all the time knowing that there was a team of testers with a developer working on the new fdx. What would have been prudent - and mannerly - was for you to have contacted SibWings privately, and volunteered your input and obvious knowledge to assist Alexander in reaching the ideal .air file perhaps a little quicker. You would have gained a good measure of respect from all connected with the project. Instead you copied someone else's air/cfg files, modified them and then had the gall to post "your" changes on the SibWings site. Even now - you continue to intimate that you can find and "easily" fix any problem with this Bird - " (but that I already have fixed)." - and so having read all your other self-aggrandizing posts - I think Ron is right. "Petulance" in this particular case - fits. You don't need to reply, but I won't be offended if you care to embarrass yourself again.

Regards.
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

snave

Post by snave » 09 Jul 2010, 19:15

mos wrote:Yes all in all, its much better, but I still have a few complains about flight behaviour, (when we go fore the extreme) but for all day flying, it's much better.
And the gyro-compass, is still jamming and spinning after a loop, (maybe it's normal in a Bird-Dog)?).
The contact point of wingtip isn't right, (still digging several feet into the ground (try to just kiss the "field", with the wing tip and see what happens).

mos
Of course the gyro compass jams if you don't cage it before extreme manouevres - it will do the same in the Safir and is a feature of this designer. It certainly does that in real aircraft too, as I know from forgetting to do just that in a rare aerobatic outing in a Bulldog only too well... me bad. :roll:
Simon Evans

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 09 Jul 2010, 19:38

Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

mos

Post by mos » 10 Jul 2010, 03:43

"You don't need to reply"

Well, - then I will let your comments, speak for it's self.
(By the way, - I did, contacted "Sibwings") just to let you know) but to pencil that out here)?))).

---------------------------o0o---------------------------------------o0o-------------------------------------------

"Of course the gyro compass jams" - (of course).

But does it also keep on spinning for hours, after a full stop landing, (and the engine stopped) ?
(I haven't figured out how to stop it before next take off)?)).

mos

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 10 Jul 2010, 13:16

Press the "D" key on the keyboard to stop the gyro spinning continuously. If that doesn't work, cage it, then uncage it, then press the "D" key. Both work for me, so I don't see anyone else having a problem :)

mos

Post by mos » 10 Jul 2010, 13:47

Thank you Tigerclaw !
I'll have a try on that.
Hmmm, that didnt work, I can cage , the Attitude (Lock), but how do you cage the Gyro compass, in the Bird-Dog ?

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 10 Jul 2010, 15:54

mos wrote:Thank you Tigerclaw !
I'll have a try on that.
Hmmm, that didnt work, I can cage , the Attitude (Lock), but how do you cage the Gyro compass, in the Bird-Dog ?
Middle mouse button.

mos

Post by mos » 10 Jul 2010, 20:39

Thank's
But it seems, that this specific feature, just doesn't work, at my system (not "English") "Æ"Ø"Å") maybe therefor)?)))
I will try to find out the combination for that. :?:

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 11 Jul 2010, 01:22

Sorry mos I neglected to say how you cage the gyro, my bad. Ron is correct though, I do use the middle mouse button. On my mouse it's actually a scroll wheel, when pushed becomes the middle mouse button.

The "D" key on the keyboard is the FSX default for "Heading Indicator (reset)" I notice you say your system is NOT in English, so I assume the procedure will be the same, but in your OWN language okay.

Open FSX and go to your settings, then choose controls. Click the "BUTTONS / KEYS" tab as if you were going to make new button assignments, scroll down to "Heading indicator (reset)" and see what the key assignment is? This is the key you need to press to re calibrate your gyro. If there is no assignment for that function, then that is your problem, simply assign a key to it, one that isn't being used for other functions.

If you do NOT have a middle button on your mouse, then I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I've looked for any references to the middle button, in FSX, AND the mouse software in the control panel. I can't find anything, sorry.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 11 Jul 2010, 01:32

I seem to recall someone having a pop about assigning as a default button something that maybe not everyone has got. i.e. a scroll wheel mouse, to lock the gyro.

Tigerclaw

Post by Tigerclaw » 11 Jul 2010, 01:43

Sorry Ron not with you :)

Assigning a key to that function will definitely reset the gyro, so that's half the battle. I've just tried a few combos to "simulate" a middle mouse button, and failed miserably lol. What can one do if one doesn't have a wheel, or middle mouse button? Is there no default keys in the OS to simulate it?

EDIT:
Found this while searching google: http://cybernetnews.com/helpful-tip-mid ... top-mouse/ if you only have a two button mouse, maybe this will work. Haven't tried, so try it your own risk okay

END EDIT:

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 11 Jul 2010, 02:38

Or: Buy a mouse with a scroll wheel. They're about £8 Cheap as chips! :lol: