Propeller Question

Everything concerning Cessna O-1/L-19 Bird Dog is discussed here.
gfat

Propeller Question

Post by gfat » 24 Feb 2010, 08:55

Hello,

I occassionally fly an L-19E.....and am looking at purchasing the Bird Dog here for FSX. I was wondering, does the "A" model have manual flaps? And does anybody notice a cruise difference with the O-1F model with that constant speed prop?

Thanks,
Gfat

sg38

Re: Propeller Question

Post by sg38 » 24 Feb 2010, 12:46

The sibwings A model does not have manual flaps but it's missing the flap indicator that's associated with the electric flaps.
The constant speed prop is....let's say weird. The less the RPM, the higher the performance..but that was already a problem with the Safir.
IF you enter a spin it becomes an unrecoverable flatspin within a single turn, the ailerons loose half their effectivness at full deflection etc...
Having a real L-19 pilot here....I'm wondering if the 60deg flap really have that much drag. In the sibwings model it's not possible to fly level with full flaps and the 'real' manual doesn't state anything about this performance limit.
But the visual model is great!
IF the upcoming patch solves the numerous problems like the ADF tuning, reversed carb heat, a flap indicator for the A model etc...it would consider to do a realistic flight model for this plane...IF I get the support of a real L-19 pilot.....

Sky~6

Post by Sky~6 » 25 Feb 2010, 07:46

sg38 wrote:The sibwings A model does not have manual flaps but it's missing the flap indicator that's associated with the electric flaps.
The constant speed prop is....let's say weird. The less the RPM, the higher the performance..but that was already a problem with the Safir.
IF you enter a spin it becomes an unrecoverable flatspin within a single turn, the ailerons loose half their effectivness at full deflection etc...
Having a real L-19 pilot here....I'm wondering if the 60deg flap really have that much drag. In the sibwings model it's not possible to fly level with full flaps and the 'real' manual doesn't state anything about this performance limit.
But the visual model is great!
IF the upcoming patch solves the numerous problems like the ADF tuning, reversed carb heat, a flap indicator for the A model etc...it would consider to do a realistic flight model for this plane...IF I get the support of a real L-19 pilot.....

If you did to this one Bernt (SG38),like the Fantastic job you did to the C185, I would fly her (more)...!

This is such a beautiful model...It needs some TLC ( a great FDE), then it could be a contender for Top GA right now...really....

Sky

gfat

Post by gfat » 25 Feb 2010, 08:35

Thank you! I think I'll go ahead and get this one then. It sure does look great in the screenshots. And I'd be happy to test out a new flight model.

-Gfat

gfat

Post by gfat » 25 Feb 2010, 08:43

Oh and about the flaps:

I've tried some stalls at altitude with the flaps down to 60 degrees and have landed several times with them all the way down (most people don't recommend doing that) and I can say it is A LOT of drag. I don't have a lot of hours in the type (about 70 hours now), but this is what I've tried. I think that the airplane should be able to sustain level flight with them down fully. And I had one more question about the climb rate: Does it climb steeply when at 65 mph and 2300 RPM? Most people like to pull back the power to not exceed the RPM limit (although War Emergency Power is 2700) but some like to climb steep enough (65 mph/ Vx) to keep the prop from spinning too fast and it looks STEEP in the real thing when compared to other similarly powered aircraft.

sg38

Post by sg38 » 25 Feb 2010, 22:07

@gfat This is also strange. Static, full power 2700RPM. Release the brakes and the faster you go, the lower the RPM....at 40mph 2250RPM.
(Same happens with the fixed prop version.)
But at 65mph full power, prop full fwd (still 2250RPM) I get 1500ft/min at 2200lbs which seems to be more than in the manual and it's definitely a steep angle.

@sky, let's wait until the patch is out. I PMd sibwings a lot of the required changes....maybe the update turns out to be really good.
These guys seem to be quite capable as they managed to make a plane which can enter an unrecoverable flat spin, although that's totally wrong and impossible for this plane.

gfat

Post by gfat » 26 Feb 2010, 07:13

hm. that is quite strange. does the constant speed prop make it noticeably faster in cruise than the fixed- pitch climb prop variant?

sg38

Post by sg38 » 28 Feb 2010, 16:58

Sorry, I haven't installed it anymore, only after the patch is released I'm going to reinstall it.