Fuel tanks on Safirs that were ferried to Ethiopia

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
rpiereck

Fuel tanks on Safirs that were ferried to Ethiopia

Post by rpiereck » 15 Nov 2008, 10:01

I am looking for some information on the extra fuel tank that was installed on that SAAB Safir that did the long distance ferry flight from Sweden to Ethiopia, specifically I am looking for the fuel quantity on the tank. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
-- Renato Piereck

DNovet

Re: Fuel tanks on Safirs that were ferried to Ethiopia

Post by DNovet » 01 Jan 2009, 13:20

Might be a bit late, but nevertheless...

If I remember right, those planes were a batch of 12 aircrafts that were quite special.

Saab had already switched to manufacturing of the C-model and already had a batch of wings, but still B-fuselages.
Practical as they are, they simply fitted a valve in the fuel-piping. Fuel to the engines was fed from the wingtanks, which were filled in turn by the tank in the fuselage by means of gravity.

Thus, they had an endurance of 7 to 8 hours...

And I could imagine they just made intermediate landings, as even with that flight-time, you won't make it non-stop.

Again, this is from memory, could very well be I'm mistaken. There was a batch of special-Safir's, and they went to a customer on the african continent, but I'm not sure whether they were the ones sold to ehtiopia or not...

Cheers,

Daniel