Saab Safir open questions (for those who saw real Safir)

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
Andrey
Site Admin

Saab Safir open questions (for those who saw real Safir)

Post by Andrey » 05 Feb 2006, 15:32

Guys, here I'll post some questions I have about Safir construction, panel layout, etc.

Couple for now:
1 what is written on mixture lever ? English variant is most interesting now on photos I have it's clear to see that is something beside M (Swedish Safir photos prove that)
Attachments
Mixture.jpg
Mixture.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 05 Feb 2006, 15:36

2 The same about Fuel selector... keep in mind we are interested in English variant. B and C modifications are in our interest
...aha and btw, who could explane where aux tank located in B modification ?

Andrey
Attachments
FuelSel.jpg
FuelSel.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

Hakan

who could explane where aux tank located in B modification ?

Post by Hakan » 06 Feb 2006, 02:03

I hope this drawing explains where the aux tank is located and how it works!

Regards
Hakan
Attachments
Fuel91B.jpg
Fuelsystem 91B
Fuel91B.jpg (150.26 KiB) Viewed 4533 times

Andrey
Site Admin

Re: who could explane where aux tank located in B modificati

Post by Andrey » 06 Feb 2006, 09:45

Hakan wrote:I hope this drawing explains where the aux tank is located and how it works!

Regards
Hakan
Hello Hakan!

Do you want to say that is only tank but two fuel ways, right ?

Andrey

Hakan

Post by Hakan » 06 Feb 2006, 13:09

Hi Andrey!

Yes, only one fuel tank with two drainpipes and one is lower than the other.

Hakan

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 06 Feb 2006, 17:59

thanks..

Alex.

Mia
Site Admin

Still have some questions about Safir's panel...

Post by Mia » 11 Feb 2006, 03:31

Hi, guys!

Many of you have helped us developing Safir and we really appreciate your help :wink: but we still have some things blurred :(
So, if anybody can help us clarify the following questions we'll make one more step closer to the release :D And that's what we all are waiting for, aren't we??? 8)

1. The button on the Voltammetr, how does it work? You press it to see the volts and when you release it shows amperes again? Or you press and it shows the volts untill you press it one more time?
2. What are the functions of the button on the Vacuum gauge ?
(there're 2 pics attached for Voltammetr and Vacuum )
3. Gauges # 8 , # 27, # 29, # 44 and №46 , how do they work and what are their functions?
4. Switches # 19-22, where are the lampswhich they switch? and are they lighted?
5. What does Voltammetr show on the accumulator and on the genereator bus?

viewtopic.php?t=9
Attachments
voltammetr_and_vacuum.jpg
voltammetr_and_vacuum.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 4492 times

DNovet

Post by DNovet » 11 Feb 2006, 16:52

Howdy Mia, howdy Team!

What I can say from the -D series...

Gauge number 8 is not really a gauge...
It is a push-pull-knob with which you can open (pushed) and close (pulled) the cool/fresh-air shutter right in front of the respective windshield. in the attached picture you can see the right one opened.
This will let fresh air enter the fuselage right behind the firewall and in front of the avionics/instruments, thus cooling those, and then gently blow onto your legs.
My recommendation for those: Keep them open to have some air circulation, otherwise you'll die from the heat... Except if it's really cold outside of course. And I would also close them if there is precipitation outside, otherwise you'll get wet feets... ;) :D

Gauge number 27 and 29 seems to be a bit different in the -D than in the -B:
In the -D, both are for cabin-heating function. They will open either the respective lefthand or righthand valve/flapper that will allow heated air from around the exhaust ducts to enter via the firewall at cabin-floor-height directly onto your feets...
A joy, if it's really cold outside... :)

Sorry, can't help with the 44...

The 46 - I think - looks like what we (-D) have installed right on the backrest of the forward seats: The locking/release-mechanism for the shoulder-harness adjustment.
You pull the lever, the shoulder-harness gets free on the backside of the backrest, therefore you can adjust the position of where it is attached to the seat (moving up and down on a tube) and therefore it's overall length. Additionally, you can also adjust the harnesses length (the length of cloth) by its buckles.

Sorry also on the lights-switch, as you've seen from our pictures, we have a *slightly* different/modified version...

Since we have a different electrical layout, I will try to explain ours.
We have a Voltmeter, that indicates the voltage of the main bus. Additionally there is an Ammeter, that shows the Amperage of the Alternator.
Battery on, Alternator off will result in roughly 12,8V and 0A.
Battery on, Alternator on will result in roughly 13,9V and around 3-5A with no fuelpump or landinglight (which are our major power-drainers... ;) )
Battery on, Alternator on and with all users on, there'll be around 13,5V and 35-40A.

On the Aux-Tank...
Is the fueltank in the -A and -B really named "Aux-Tank"?
Wouldn't that be the naming for the fuselage-tank in those few planes that had the -B fuselage together with the -C wings?
Those planes had the fuel cell from the fuselage, as in the B's, but as well the wing-tanks as in the C's...
The position would be the same as in all the other planes, either fuselage aft LH side or in the wings.
The linkage of the fuel-systems - I *think* - was in such a way, that you'd select LH or RH fuel tank. But because of the connections that remained roughly the same from the fuse-tank, you would draw the fuel first from the fuse-tank, if that was empty you started emptying the respective wing-tank.
BUT: I have *never* laid my hand on one of those few manuals, also not on one of those planes... All just thought and rumours I heard...
A man can dream though, a man can dream... ;) :)
Attachments
7325004s.jpg
Showing the righthand fresh-air-shutter in open position.
7325004s.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

LeifP

Post by LeifP » 19 Apr 2006, 00:49

Hello,

A little clarification about fuel tanks in Safir's.
There is a little confusion here about Aux. (auxiliary) fuel tanks and people seem to mix them up with the reserve.
The 91A, B and B-2 Safirs had the lowest parts of the main fuel tanks used as a reserve tank.
The 91C and D had 2 fuel tanks (1 in each wing) and the pilots are supposed to change fuel tanks and leave enough fuel in the first tank to have a reserve supply.

Hovever there has been Auxiliary tanks for some Safirs.
The 91A Safir had an option to install an aux tank (same size as the main tank) instead of the rear seat.
The 91C Safir's that was delivered to Ethiopia had an option to install an Aux. tank behind the rear passenger seats.
I don't know how many of them that had it installed though.

And 91B with 91C/D wings with multiple fuel tanks.
It should be possible to do like that, but SAAB has never delivered any A/C with that configuration (to my knowledge)
However the 91B-2 was actually a 91B fuselage with 91C wings, but without mounted fueltanks. But externally they do look like they have them installed.
I also know of a 91B that flies with 91D wings, I doubt that they have the fuel tanks installed in them though.
And to use 91C or 91D wings with a 91B fuselage "some" parts in the fuselage needs to be replaced (if I remember correctly).

The Safir with largest fuel supply sofar (to my knowledge) is count von Rosen's "record" aircraft IEAF-106 with a total of 947 liters in specially designed fuel tanks (placed in rear seat and the co-pilot seat)
He flew nonstop between Stockholm (Bromma) and Addis-Abeba.
The distance he flew was 6220 km and it took him 30 hours and 52 minutes
Best regards

Leif

Arneolav

Gauge #8

Post by Arneolav » 05 Jun 2006, 22:19

Could it be the "gear-up warning" cancellation-knob?
It's used whenever the manifold pressure goes under 12 psi with the gears retcracted.
I seem to remember it from my Safir-flying. But on "my" Safir, it was located by the fresh air-handles on top of the dash board.

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 05 Jun 2006, 22:23

Thanks guys,

Topic is closed now !