Engine wont start... problems, help please!

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
per

Engine wont start... problems, help please!

Post by per » 12 Mar 2008, 22:50

Dear Friends.
I flew from ESKN to ESSB (Via Dunker) yesterday with my beloved "Yellow 46", a wonderful flight, almost no wind, (fl.40) sight about 20 miles! Great flying weather as You might guessed! My little Safir and I made an aproach to ESSB rwy 12, passing over St?ket/Kalh?ll, slow turn to the right, descending... passing over "November-Bravo" (ADF394) over J?rf?lla, then Sp?nga...Flysta... enjoying the wonderful sight from the cockpit of the west parts of Stockholms suburbs. Made a perfect tuch-down and taxied in to the former "Linta-verken" (Today, VOLVO-areo enginge) and had a cup of coffe with my friend, sat there in the evening sun and just talked about aeroplanes, flying memories and, not to forget the wonderful, marvelus machine in front of us! The SIBWINGS Safir!!! (still cant belive my eyes when i watch her... what a beauty... so totaly perfect! in all aspects!)
But... about two hours later I was suppose to return to ESKN, before it was getting too dark, and my little sweetie didnt start... Hmmm, I tried almost everything, but no, she just didnt respond to my tries getting her to start.
So, my friends, what am I doing wrong?, I am sure it is someting very easy and simple, but just what could it be?
I read the manual over and over again, but still, no reply from the engine.
Could some of You might give me a short "quick-guide" to start her again. Had to stay the night at my friends, and planning to fly back to ESKN tomorrow, so, please give me some advice, sort of "step-by-step" guide to start my little yellow beautie!
Best Regards
Yours
Per (captain of Yellow46)

Alex
Site Admin

Re: Engine wont start... problems, help please!

Post by Alex » 13 Mar 2008, 01:10

Hello,

Probably your accumulator battery was discharged :)
Try to save your flight, exit to main fs menu and load your flight. Hope this help.

Enjoy :wink:
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

joethefp

Post by joethefp » 12 Mar 2010, 14:14

I'm always having the same problem, I fly the B-model.

After shutdown, if I attempt a restart after 10-20 min the starter is dead, I make complete shutdown and nothing seems to use battery power!

But the battery voltage is always low, before shut down I keep the rpm to 800-900 for +1 min.

PLEASE PLEASE help because this is a great plane and great add-on!!! I must be doing something wrong.

PS: The starter itself won't start.

snave

Post by snave » 14 Mar 2010, 20:06

It's FS that's `wrong`, not the addon. There has always been a legacy issue with FS depleting battery power way too fast. The only solution, other than switching aircraft to a default the switching back to your `beloved` is to use the registered version of FSUIPC, which includes among it's many features an option to extend battery life to a more accommodating level, or even forever if you wish.
Simon Evans

joethefp

Post by joethefp » 15 Mar 2010, 05:21

Thanks a lot, I already did edit the aircraft configuration file to make electrical available forever.

I said to myself, make that the equivalent to a prop hand swing start ;)

snave

Post by snave » 16 Mar 2010, 03:58

Yeah, that's how I view it too. To be honest, I've flown several crates in the last few months that have needed hand-swinging. We've had such bad weather for flying in the UK that aircraft have been ground-bound for months rather than weeks and plane batteries don't like cold, wet weather.
Consider it part of the `charm` of owning a vintage!
Simon Evans

joethefp

Post by joethefp » 18 Mar 2010, 15:04

Can a hand start be done with only one person operating both the cockpit and going back out etc.?