Cant figure it out (thing in C/P)

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
DaBone

Cant figure it out (thing in C/P)

Post by DaBone » 06 Oct 2006, 23:04

Hello,
SAAB is a wonderful, awesome, and beautiful mod plane! I really like the way it looks and flies! The attention to detail is great!

Now...enough booty kissing! lol... I cant find the Cowl lever to open and close the cowl flaps. I looked in the manual but failed to find it.
Also, What is the thing that looks like a trolling motor above you? Its kinda black and you can click on it and it folds down? I cant figure what its far?
Couldnt fing it in the manual ethier....Sorry if its stupid questions....But if you dont ask you'll never know:)
Thank you
DaBone

S91C

Post by S91C » 06 Oct 2006, 23:22

Hi there...

The cowl flaps are not adjustable from inside at least not in B,C, D version. I´m not sure how it is in HB-DBL wich is a swiss "super duper special" D version . :wink:

Also Im not sure what you mean with the "trolling motor" thing. If you mean the one looking like a stick with a black lump in the end, it is a "map reading" lamp...

regards

Per

DaBone

Post by DaBone » 06 Oct 2006, 23:44

Hey,
Thanks for the response! So, thers no way to move the cowl flaps from the cockpit? Thas strange!

And the other thing ...so its a map light! WOW...Ok I'll have to try it at night......does it actually light up?
Thanks ,Dave

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 06 Oct 2006, 23:52

DaBone wrote: So, thers no way to move the cowl flaps from the cockpit? Thas strange!
Hello Dave,

On the Safir the Cowl flaps is manual adjustment on the ground!!! (instead HB-DBL)
You can use default FS shortcuts to adjustment cowl flaps.
[CTRL + SHIFT + C] and [CTRL + SHIFT + V]

HB-DBL Safir have Cowl flaps lever in the cockpit.
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

DaBone

Post by DaBone » 07 Oct 2006, 00:09

Great! ....Very helpful info!
Thank you
DaBone

DNovet

Post by DNovet » 07 Oct 2006, 00:31

Hello Dave,

It is indeed not strange, but really genius...

Maybe it still requires a mechanic which preps the aircraft, but having the cowl flaps adjustable on ground means that you can adjust to the current OAT.
Since normally you have *roughly* the same degration of temperature with increasing altitude, adjustment on ground really is enough and the temperature-ranges are coarse enough, since there are only 4 positions to choose from.
The beauty of the design is fact, that you can leave out all the mechanical linkage, since there simply is no need to carry something around that at least needs periodical inspection and care, at worst can break and needs fixing.
Maybe a rhetorical question: you don't need cowl flaps on a Piper Archer or Cessna 172, why do you want them on the Safir? After all, it's all in the same power-range... ;)

On the topic of that lamp:
On the DBL it is not only used as map-light, but also to lighten the center-console from the bar-switches on downward, since there is no lighting except for the stop-watch...

@Per:
Thank you very much for the compliment on "super-duper-special"... ;)
Let me lessen your enthusiasm a bit: There is *no* documentation in existence about that major alteration, though it was made by the federal office themselfs...
Which means whenever we want to change something, we're in a dead-end-road: They claim that we must proof the change will work, since there is no base to work from... Can you imagine what an engineering-order would costs? ;)
In other words: The Safir might be a "dead" aircraft type since it's no more produced, but the DBL is a bit "deader"... ;)
I hope though we can meet and show the DBL at the next meeting... :)

snave

Post by snave » 07 Oct 2006, 03:41

Actually, ground adjustable cowl flaps are an amazingly simple solution given that this was a SAAB, so had to work for a living through a Swedish winter, while not overheating in an Ethiopian summer.

In deep winter, the bigegst problem with an air-cooled engine is not, as one might expect, keeping it cool, but actually keeping it WARM. That's because the heat tends to get held at the hot spots - combustion chamber and cylinder head - while the rest of the engine stays cool - this can lead to differential expansion which can crack cylinders, break cranks, snap valves and generally ruin your entire day.

Also, the mode of operation of a typical trainer is all about full power take-offs and climbs, followed by descents and landings - very little time in the cruise phase. In extremes of temperature, you can see that adjusting the cowling air flow for that particular days flying would be something that could be adjusted according to not only the ambient temperature but also the type of flying that day.

Anyway, it must have worked - the Africans used the airplane for years, and so did the Scandinavians...! :D
Simon Evans

S91C

Post by S91C » 07 Oct 2006, 13:16

DNovet wrote:@Per:
Thank you very much for the compliment on "super-duper-special"... ;)
Let me lessen your enthusiasm a bit: There is *no* documentation in existence about that major alteration, though it was made by the federal office themselfs...
Which means whenever we want to change something, we're in a dead-end-road: They claim that we must proof the change will work, since there is no base to work from... Can you imagine what an engineering-order would costs? ;)
In other words: The Safir might be a "dead" aircraft type since it's no more produced, but the DBL is a bit "deader"... ;)
I hope though we can meet and show the DBL at the next meeting... :)
Sorry, but this is a bit off topic and adressed to Daniel...

I´ve remember that you told me once before that your nice aircraft is in some kind of "vacum". I´m just curious, have you ever considered to do an "experimental registration" of the bird. At least in Sweden this is usefull when you need to make major changes or do anything else with the aircraft that otherwise should have been a be an big issue for authority to aprove...
The rules for X-class is less or at least easier to do "things" for your self...

I think if its possible for you to join next meeting you got a chanse to discuss your "deader than dead" problematic as I guess there will be a lot off people with "information and knowhow" there.
I´m looking forward to that meeting, and I hope you will be able to join so I could take a look at your "SAAB 91D GTX" :D

//Per

DNovet

Post by DNovet » 07 Oct 2006, 14:03

Heya, Per!

Saab 91D Safir GTX... :D

Seriously, yes, we thought about experimental and also historic.
But those two categories are not really defined in the same manner in different countries...

Problems we encountered:
In Switzerland, you cannot convert an aircraft as a whole to experimental, only components like the engine. So that option is not possible and out...
In historic, you have the problem with liability for pax, basically you may only operate the plane to train for airshows, so no pax...
We are desperately hoping and looking forward to EASA, where a "dead" or ancient type of aircraft will not be certified but supplied with an "approval for flight". The basic idea is to be able to maintain the aircraft the way it was maintained when it was made, so no forms and logs and other administrative-bullshit to bitch about... :)

On the other hand, the way aviation is treated here in switzerland, it might not be long to reach the conclusion to stop flying at all. Think of this: Per litre AVGAS you pay 1,6?, but 0,6? of that price goes for taxes. And those taxes are officially used. But TO BUILD ROADS, *not* to finance aviation in any ways! So there are simply additional taxes being charged with landing fees, so the airfield can be maintained, ATC supplied, and such, things one would expect to be financed by fuel-taxes...
If I need to do the 3 landings and takeoffs for a pax-flight, the 20mins of flight (incl fuel and everything) costs less than landings-fees...! And even then, I could deduct around 20% of the price for the flighttime, if you'd remove the senseless fuel-taxes...

Anyway, let's have Schnaps to calm down and see what the future holds... ;)

Cheers,

Daniel

S91C

Post by S91C » 07 Oct 2006, 15:39

DNovet wrote:Heya, Per!

Anyway, let's have Schnaps to calm down and see what the future holds... ;)

Cheers,

Daniel
Fortunate, the airfuel still is "taxfree" in Sweden. We pay just a bit over 1 Euro/ liter....yet... The politicians have started to talk about an adaption to rest of europe, and then its time to think about once "flying future".....

So, about your last statement, count me in. I take two....... :lol:

//Per