SAFIR flying in ITALY

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
franco

SAFIR flying in ITALY

Post by franco » 28 Sep 2006, 15:20

here, as far as I know, the only SAFIR still flying in ITALY today. Completely restored at 0 hours. it could be a new subject for a repaint.

http://www.sorliniavio.com/photogallery_big.php?id=40

ciao!

Franco

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 28 Sep 2006, 23:51

Franco..... I just painted a D model very similiar which could be changed very easily. Do you or anyone else have any other photos or close up shots of the aircraft markings?

Take care,
Steve

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 29 Sep 2006, 05:43

There is still very much to do and having never seen a Safir here in the states I'm not sure of exact markings etc. However, as long as no one is too paticular I will try to get this finished up and posted this next week. Hopefully I can figure some of the paintkit stuff out.

Take care.
Steve
Last edited by SGTMAJOR on 05 Oct 2006, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Womack

Post by Bill Womack » 29 Sep 2006, 08:25

Looking good, Steve!
Bill Womack
Visit my FS Blog!

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 29 Sep 2006, 09:02

Thanks Bill..... As you can tell, the tail is not quite right along with the nose. In fact.... I had used your paint as a quick template just to throw some paint on her to see if it would be within my capabilities. There's several parts of the paint kit that I still need to figure out where/what it belongs to and of course take a better look at the picture again to try to get the markings such as the tail and nose more correct.

My main focus today was the bare aluminum. I've been working off and on for the past year or so trying to come up with the right combination of layers etc., and am now fairly happy with my technique. Mark Smith has been my "beta tester" so to speak and has provided me with some VALUABLE friendship and guidance. Anyway.... I'll give it a whirl and see if I can make it look halfway presentable. (Smile) This is an awesome aircraft so I want to be able to do it justice.

Franco.... or anyone else for that matter......I need some help with the Italian wording/markings. I'm assuming wording such as "No Step" would be written in Italian....... so if anyone has any suggestions/help..... it would be greatly appreciated. Also.... If anyone knows of any more detailed pictures..... but that is probably too much to ask. (LOL)

Again... Thanks!
Steve

franco

Post by franco » 29 Sep 2006, 11:49

STEVE : tell me the wording and I will translate, for sure . For istance : no step = non salire

The correct translation could be "non camminare" but on the plane flaps etc. usually the exact wording is "non salire". Then it depends upon each plane. :lol:

PS : I sent a mail yesterday to the owner just for photos in electronic format and the permit for a visit in his own airport . He also owns : a Fiat G-46 4 B, a Macchi 308, an Harvard IV, an Avia FL-3. These ,as you may be aware, are all vintage Italian planes (except, of course, the Texan).

Jure

Post by Jure » 29 Sep 2006, 15:18

Wow, Steve, I love it! The aluminum parts look fantastic! =D>
Can't wait to see it in action.

Regards,
Jure

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 30 Sep 2006, 10:31

Franco - Many thanks!!! This will help much. I actually made very good progress today so hopefully I can post some screen shots later this evening or tomorrow. Additional wording I could use translated:

JORDAHAR
FLYGBENSIN (On wings..... maybe near the fueling ports)
GLOM EJ HUVLASNINGEN (Right Rear Door)
FLYGMOTOROLJA (Left Hand Engine Cowling)

Once again.... Many thanks!

Jure - Thanks for your very kind words... I truly appreciate it. I'm praying that IF my repaint will come out at least half as good as one of yours... or Bill Womack's then I'll be very happy indeed!!! (Smile)

Best wishes,
Steve

Knorren

translation

Post by Knorren » 30 Sep 2006, 11:08

SGTMAJOR wrote: Additional wording I could use translated:

JORDAHAR = Earth point (equalize static electricity)

FLYGBENSIN (On wings..... maybe near the fueling ports)= AVGAS (fuel)

GLOM EJ HUVLASNINGEN (Right Rear Door) = Do not forget the canopy lock

FLYGMOTOROLJA (Left Hand Engine Cowling) = Engine oil

This just from swedish to english of course as I do not know any more italian words than amore, pizza, Roma, spaghetti and mare :wink:
Regards
/Johan
Proud Pilot of KVZ and LAZ
http://www.f15fk.se
http://www.fcfk.com/fcfk/

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 30 Sep 2006, 11:40

Knorren - Thankyou very much. I hope Franco can now translate into Italian. (smile)

Here's a few more shots off the port wingtip..... I know it's hard to see the actual aluminum shine in a picture. But it's starting to pick up the reflections nicely.

A little more tweaking here and there.... a few fixes.... and soon it will be ready. (smile)
Last edited by SGTMAJOR on 05 Oct 2006, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 30 Sep 2006, 19:36

I'm really impressed by your work !

Just don't forget that the wing is fabric covered from the main spar to the trailing edge of the wing just as the control surfaces are.

Best regards,

Håkan

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 30 Sep 2006, 19:54

Hakan - Thank You so much for that bit of information. As stated earilier, I've never seen a Safir in person...... and while it appeared the control services may be fabric..... I hadn't given too much consideration as yet.

I will now make the necessary adjustments. Many thanks again!!!

Best wishes,
Steve

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 30 Sep 2006, 20:50

Okay..... made a couple of "quick" adjustments.... however, I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not.

While it looks "MORE" like fabric I remember (it's been a while).... it still is picking up more shine on the turns than I'd care for it to. Anyway... I may end up redoing the wing area and see if I can better the look.

Suggestions????

Best wishes,
Steve
Last edited by SGTMAJOR on 17 Oct 2006, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 30 Sep 2006, 21:05

It must be very tricky to get the right shine on silver dope. My knowledge about alpha layers is at a beginners level so I can not be of any assistance.
Maybe it's easier to pretend that the whole aircraft has a layer of metallic silver paint all over it? Silver dope must be tricky to accomplish since it usually has a sort of semi-matte finish.

I looked at a few of my own pics of the yellow painted aircraft I normally fly and you can't see any difference in the shine between the metal and fabric covered parts of the wing.

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 30 Sep 2006, 22:51

Well.... I just took a run out to the local airport on a "Field Trip" sort of expedition. (smile..... at least that's the story I told my wife.) I've come to the same conclusion as you Hakan.... however, looking at my current paint I must make some adjustments. I'm just not exactly sure what I will do as yet, however, I figure a nice lunch and a nap should assist me in coming to a resolution more quickly. :roll:

Stay tuned. :D

Best wishes,
Steve