Why the SAAB Safir ?

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
Hakan_Olsson

Why the SAAB Safir ?

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 10 Sep 2006, 23:30

I'm very curious why the SibWings-lab team choose to model the SAAB Safir for FS ?

I thought this aircraft was little known of outside Sweden and I'm extremelly happy with the product but it would be nice to hear the background story about why you went for the SAAB Safir ?

Best regards,
Håkan Olsson

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 10 Sep 2006, 23:39

Hello Hakan!

Well.. in few words, I just had a small plastic model on my table for a long time :) that was the beginning... then I did 3D model for fun :) I offered it to Aerosoft guys, but thay said there are no enough coustomers for such a project... I love the airplane myself...and agree with you that such an airplane model must exist for FS 8)

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 10 Sep 2006, 23:58

:) :) :)

I thought that ther was a much longer story behind it but the most simple explanations are the best !

I'm most grateful that you didn't give up and moved ahead with the project. In the past I've done a bit of tweaking of flight dynamics just for fun and I know how time consuming it is to model an aircraft so it flies as close to perfection as FS permits. Not to mention the graphics........

Thanks again and take care !

Håkan

DrZGard

Post by DrZGard » 11 Sep 2006, 00:13

Håkan, when you posted your "I'm in love" in the Dreamfleet forum it took me a bit of research to discover which aircraft you were talking about. I too never imagined that anyone would do it for FS. What a delight to get to discover it in the sim and done to such incredibly high standards that the Sibwings team achieved. I've impatiently awaited each of the additional repaints. I too expected a longer history but this clearly was a dream of just a few and I am glad they stuck with their dream and saw it through to completion. It is a true value on the market as I would have paid considerably more for this kind of quality... my hats off to the Sibwings team. And thank you Håkan for introducing me to this aircraft so I knew exactly what it was when I first read about the release.
Regards,

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 11 Sep 2006, 00:34

Hi Zane,

I'm glad to see you her at this forum !
When I wrote my "in love" post in the DF Forum I had asolutely no idea that there was a Safir for FS in progress. As you can understand I had to wait patiently for the release. :)
And what a lovely relase it was ! I made a few screenshots after the first few flights:
http://forum.fsscreenshots.com/dcboard. ... 6459&page=

The Safir has a vintage feel and is rather noisy by todays standards but it's a lovely rugged little aircraft. The flight carachteristics makes it one of the safest little aircraft I've flown, despite the poor take off performance that is.
Some things are just not possible to model properly in FS but I belive the SibWings team has come as close as possible

I belive DF and RealAir has got some serious competition !

Best regards,

Kofi

Post by Kofi » 11 Sep 2006, 00:46

Andrey wrote: I offered it to Aerosoft guys, but thay said there are no enough coustomers for such a project... I

Andrey

Aerosoft's loss...... :P

Post by Guest » 11 Sep 2006, 16:46

Kofi wrote:
Andrey wrote: I offered it to Aerosoft guys, but thay said there are no enough coustomers for such a project... I

Andrey

:smt005 :smt046 :smt005

FlyTexas

Post by FlyTexas » 12 Sep 2006, 21:31

Thanks for posting the link to the pics of your Safir, Håkan. Sib-Wings Safir is even more impressive when compared to your pics of the real thing. 8)

Brian

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 12 Sep 2006, 23:48

Thank you Brian !

My screnshots are on a beginners level but hopefully I will learn some day. :D
The Sibwings Safir is really impressive with all the attention to detail.
For the first time in my life I've been able to jettison the canopy without having the technicians breathing down my neck afterwards ! :lol:

Best regards,

snave

Post by snave » 13 Sep 2006, 01:39

Hakan_Olsson wrote:Thank you Brian !

For the first time in my life I've been able to jettison the canopy without having the technicians breathing down my neck afterwards ! :lol:

Best regards,
You think?

The only reason they're not jumping down your throat is because they're all out in the Land Rovers and Shoguns combing the farmers field and the countryside where you bloody dropped it! :shock: :-D

Do you know how difficult those things are to replace? :o :roll:

Pots of gold at the end of the rainbow are easier to find, unless you get real lucky and find one protecting the Petunias from the frost... :P

You just try replacing it in FS. You'll soon see what I mean... :-D
Simon Evans

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 13 Sep 2006, 02:47

Andrey,

What a GREAT story. I too believe like others that Aerosoft made a critical miscalculation on this one. (smile)

I purchase many aircraft each year as I'm hopelessly addicted to FS.... however; I think maybe the good folks at SW-lab have cured me. Since purchasing I have been unable to fly anything else and my wife is tired of hearing me say, "You got to see this!!" Every little detail has been wonderfully modeled!

I must admit I had never heard of a SAAB Safir and I do not believe I've ever seen one here in the States. However, I am now a fan of this wonderful little aircraft.

To everyone involved............ Thank You for sticking with this project and putting the love and dedication into making what I believe is one of the "Best Aircraft" of FS! I am confident that as more exposure of this aircraft gets out more and more flight simmers will find their way here.

Best regards,
Steve

Knorren

Thanx

Post by Knorren » 13 Sep 2006, 09:36

Come over to Sweden and Gothenburg in May and then you might be able to fly one IRL! :)
Regards
/Johan
Proud Pilot of KVZ and LAZ
http://www.f15fk.se
http://www.fcfk.com/fcfk/

Heli

Post by Heli » 13 Sep 2006, 19:53

Kofi wrote:

Andrey

Correct.......the long face is now by aerosoft. :lol:

Not enough customers?.......I think the success of Sibwings Saab Safir tells a other story.

First choice..........the Saab Safir.....she is a very own, but lovely character.

Regards
Roberto

Hakan_Olsson

Post by Hakan_Olsson » 13 Sep 2006, 20:01

snave wrote:
Hakan_Olsson wrote:Thank you Brian !

Best regards,
You think?

The only reason they're not jumping down your throat is because they're all out in the Land Rovers and Shoguns combing the farmers field and the countryside where you bloody dropped it! :shock: :-D

Do you know how difficult those things are to replace? :o :roll:

Pots of gold at the end of the rainbow are easier to find, unless you get real lucky and find one protecting the Petunias from the frost... :P

You just try replacing it in FS. You'll soon see what I mean... :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heli

Post by Heli » 13 Sep 2006, 20:14

I hope you have lost the canopy on ground and the canopy is landed at the soft grass, Hakan. :D

By the way.........after my first landing with the Saab I have also make the same experience (rh emergency exit).....

.....ohmmm.....and I am a plane mechanic....... :oops:

Regards
Roberto

snave

Post by snave » 13 Sep 2006, 20:31

All pilots must pull the red handle.

It's the rules... :P :-D

On our old club Cessna there was a wire hanging down under the dash on the left hand side, just under the yoke. Of course, one of the members just had to pull that thing out, "becasue it might foul the controls...."

...not much danger of that when the entire avionics system shorted out and every fuse blew.

And I bet you know which wire he pulled! :roll: :oops:
Simon Evans

Moose

Post by Moose » 20 Sep 2006, 15:08

SGTMAJOR wrote:Andrey,

What a GREAT story. I too believe like others that Aerosoft made a critical miscalculation on this one. (smile)

I purchase many aircraft each year as I'm hopelessly addicted to FS.... however; I think maybe the good folks at SW-lab have cured me. Since purchasing I have been unable to fly anything else and my wife is tired of hearing me say, "You got to see this!!" Every little detail has been wonderfully modeled!

I must admit I had never heard of a SAAB Safir and I do not believe I've ever seen one here in the States. However, I am now a fan of this wonderful little aircraft.

To everyone involved............ Thank You for sticking with this project and putting the love and dedication into making what I believe is one of the "Best Aircraft" of FS! I am confident that as more exposure of this aircraft gets out more and more flight simmers will find their way here.

Best regards,
Steve
I will second what Steve has said. Before this package, the only time I'd ever heard of a Saab 91 was reading Hakan's post over at the Dreamfleet forums. Then when I saw the news about the Safir over at AVSIM, I'll admit I was interested. Well, last night I finally broke down and bought it, and I must say, you have done a fantastic job with this little plane. The flight model is amazing, and I'm still coming to terms with many of its quirks (like floating on landing!). The cockpits are simply stunning, probably the best application of the 3D gauge technology I've ever seen.

Thank you all for sticking with this project and delivering us this fine aircraft. This was obviously a labor of love, and that love really shows through!
Lewis "Moose" Gregory

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 21 Sep 2006, 02:31

The reason of success is year work guys, I can't say we bring great income even comparing with my roarity from Aerosoft - I get more from them for "same" project... Safir just became to life - when I'll back home from US trip we'll provide several more mdls, I do belive we'll find a possibility to doit in box soon... FSX is comming and so on... so no worries that we published it ourselves....

All depends, probably choosing a loud name such as "Beaver" or "Super Cub" you'll have some garanted income independent on product quality.... And btw seems to me Safir isn't popular still ;) I was on Avsim conference in DC and very few people remember that they "heard" about it... and I meet no one who touch it... so it still have good potencial ;) - That mean that pomo offers are welcome lol :)

Andrey

Moose

Post by Moose » 21 Sep 2006, 02:56

Well, your banner advertisement on the front page of AVSIM was a good idea. That banner reminded me about the Safir after I read some posts about it in the AVSIM forums a few weeks ago, and basically reminded me to buy it.

I've been telling lots of fellow simmers about this wonderful package, hopefully some of them will buy it!
Lewis "Moose" Gregory

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 21 Sep 2006, 03:03

Moose wrote: I've been telling lots of fellow simmers about this wonderful package, hopefully some of them will buy it!
Thank you Moose! :)

Btw I was in Virginia Beach today :) And probably will be in Richmond tommorow I think :)

Andrey