PH-RLA and G-HRLK repaints ready

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
Jure

Post by Jure » 24 Sep 2006, 18:54

Hello Sjoerd,

just what I needed. :) Thank you very much for clarifying the inscriptions on the Safir. For now, no more pictures are needed. I'd just like to ask one more thing:

What is written under the red circle (under the large black A) on your first picture?

I will modify the repaint so it will be used with the regular D model, not the HB-DBL. That means that the "hump" will now appear on the model (like on the Finnish Airforce model), but the rear left seat will be gone. And of course, I will add all the lettering, too.

Thank you again, Sjoerd! :)
Enjoy flying this beautiful aircraft! (I am envious! ;) )

Jure

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 24 Sep 2006, 19:02

Hello Jure,

You are a sharp observer. Wandered if you would notice.
Instead of having 24 VOLT written inside the circle on your paintjob, in real world inside the cirlcle is only written

and below the circle is written:

VOLT

Also a question from me. I am not too familiar with paint jobs in FS, but does a paintjob include the rotating beacon on top of the vertical stabilizer?
It's a little too tall on your paintjob.
Furthermore you can also see on the first picture that the forward attachment "antenna" for the long wire antenna is situated much more forward (in fact above the division between the two forward canopies) than on your paintjob. And it is smaller too.
On the spot where you have the forward attachment of the wire antenna, we have an extra "fin"antenna. Also visible on the first picture.
One more remark: the RLA has a 2 bladed prop in stead of 3.

Keep up the good work!!

I think I will buy this model for FS

Regards, Sjoerd

Jure

Post by Jure » 24 Sep 2006, 20:28

Hello Sjoerd,

ah, it is Volts, then. I wasn't sure. :)

A paintjob doesn't include the things you mention. The rotating beacon is a part of the 3D model, as are the antennae. I cannot modify that.

I will modify my paintjob for the other "D" model which is included in the Safir package (there are two) and that one has a two bladed propeller. Unfortunately, it also has some sort of a hump on the fuselage, behind the cockpit and no forward fin antenna. Maybe the SibWings team can make another model in the future? But I guess there are many modified Safirs out there so it would be impossible to faithfully represent them all in FS. :)

Sjoerd, you will not regret buying the Safir! I am spoiled when it comes to FS add-ons; I have almost all of the major add-on aircraft and the SibWings Safir is among the very best - if not THE best add-on GA aircraft ever produced! Only a couple or so others fit in this best-of-the-best category. Real Safir pilots tell us that the flight model is as close to the real one as can be within the boundaries of the FS. As a virtual pilot (I only flew gliders in real life and an occasional Cessna), I can say that the Safir flies like a charm - it gives me that special feeling of, well, actually flying an aircraft instead of moving it through the virtual world. :)

Regards,
Jure

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 24 Sep 2006, 20:45

Jure,

Great to be of some help. It is VOLT without the s
But I guess there are many modified Safirs out there so it would be impossible to faithfully represent them all in FS.
But our RLA is as close to the original as possible. I have pictures from 1972-75 (my years on the Rijks Luchtvaart School) and you cannot see the difference.
So maybe it is worthwhile for the SW lab team to make the adjustments?

Regards, Sjoerd

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 24 Sep 2006, 22:27

Hello Jure,

I made a mistake in the figures on the tail of the RLA.
It should be:

MAX. GEW. 1205 K.G. and then a computer zero with a slant slash through it.

Like this: Ø but than with the slash staying inside the zero.

Regards, Sjoerd

Jure

Post by Jure » 24 Sep 2006, 22:56

Hello Sjoerd,

thanks for the correction. :)
I hope to have the modifications ready soon. And maybe the team will indeed give us another D model? :-D

Regards,
Jure

Jure

Updates ready

Post by Jure » 28 Sep 2006, 20:29

The updated PH-RLA and G-HRLK have been sent to Sibwings and should appear in the Freeware section soon. :)

Changes:
- corrected inscription on the fuselage (PH-RLA only)
- added lettering on the fuselage (PH-RLA only)
- Orange parts are redder now (PH-RLA only)
- added the slightly battered look to the textures
- few cosmetics improvements (black in front of the cockpit)

Sjoerd, thanks again for your help. The PH-RLA is now associated with the regular D model of the Sibwings Safir (two bladed prop and the table in the cockpit instead of the fourth seat).

Regards,
Jure

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 29 Sep 2006, 12:15

Jure,

Simply SUPERB!!!
Thanks a lot. And now we wait for the SW lab team to make the antenna adjustment and removal of the lumb behind the cockpit.
And if they are willing to make the original instrument panel then the RLA is complete.

Somehow I am unable to upload one picture of the instrument panel from 1973 and one from 2006. I get a message that I have reached my upload quota limit of 256Kb??

Regards,
Sjoerd

Jure

Post by Jure » 29 Sep 2006, 15:33

Sjoerd,

thank you. :)

Looks like the forum limits one's uploads; I got the same message after I posted first two pictures. I now upload pictures on my own web space (free with my internet provider) and simply post a direct link within my messages here.

Regards,
Jure

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 29 Sep 2006, 18:52

Hi guys,

Sorry for this inconvenience.

I'll try to make more disk space for attachments.
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 29 Sep 2006, 21:34

Hello Jure,

After looking long and hard at your repaint of the RLA, I would like to ask you if you will reconsider the battered look on the RLA.
I have two recent photo's from sept 2006 and the look of our RLA isn't that battered, is it?

Regards,
Sjoerd

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 29 Sep 2006, 21:43

Hello Alex,

I am new here and have recently bought your Saab Safir.
Very very nice, especially with Jure painting the PH-RLA.

Any chance you can make some adjustments to your sim model so that the RLA is more like the actual aircraft?

See pictures above and see instrument panels below.
The first one is from 1972 of the PH-RLB and the second one is from present time of the PH-RLA. Hardly any difference, I think.

Regards,

Sjoerd

Alex
Site Admin

Re: Updates ready

Post by Alex » 30 Sep 2006, 00:03

Hello Jure,

S91_ghrlk.zip and S91_phrla.zip was updated.

http://www.sibwings.com/freeware.php :smt023

SuredT wrote:Any chance you can make some adjustments to your sim model so that the RLA is more like the actual aircraft?
Hello Sjoerd,

It's VERY HARD work which takes a lot of time.
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 30 Sep 2006, 00:34

Alex,

OK, OK, I understand.
Seems I have to buy you a lot of beer at the 2007 Saab meeting in Gothenburg :lol:

Regards, Sjoerd

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 30 Sep 2006, 03:15

Hello Jure,

In my humble opinion you forgot to adjust some text in the new updated RLA files.
In the readme file you still mention to copy all the texture files from the HB_DBL folder to the newly created RLA texture folder.
It should be that you must copy all the texture files from the SF3 texture folder to the new RLA folder, isn't it?

And for Alex,

After pasting the "fltsim.x" text from Jure in the aircraft.cfg file, I read on and found that there are only 2 flapsettings possible on the SF3 Saab 91D. Is that correct?
On the RLA we have 3, namely 17, 30 and 43 degrees.
So I adjusted this in my cfg file and it works OK.

Also I found that on the Artificial Horizon of the SF3 the Skypointer is not moving, only the horizon.

Regards, Sjoerd

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 30 Sep 2006, 10:51

Hello Sjoerd,
After pasting the "fltsim.x" text from Jure in the aircraft.cfg file, I read on and found that there are only 2 flapsettings possible on the SF3 Saab 91D. Is that correct?
On the RLA we have 3, namely 17, 30 and 43 degrees.
That is correct.
I'm surprised :) I hear fist fime about 3 possible flaps position.
Also I found that on the Artificial Horizon of the SF3 the Skypointer is not moving, only the horizon.
About Artificial Horizon see the picture below.
Skypointer is not moving.
Attachments
DSCN1832.jpg
DSCN1832.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 30 Sep 2006, 14:58

Hello Alex,

I tried all three Saab types possible (91 B, C and D) and only on the 91D and then the SF3 the skypointer is not moving as in your picture. The skypointer stays below the 0 bank angle mark.

Other question: how do I get some more drag when flaps are full, because in real life you need a lot more power to stay in the air than in the sim model.
I tried already to change some figures in the [flaps] section of the cfg file.
Changed drag_scalar from 0.7 to 1.2 but not much difference till now.

Next remark: When I fly half power and move the pitch handle from let's say 2400rpm to 2200 rpm the engine sound increases in stead of decreases. And visa versa.
This happens on the SF3 module. Didn't try the others till now.

Regards, Sjoerd

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 30 Sep 2006, 15:23

SuredT wrote:Hello Alex,

I tried all three Saab types possible (91 B, C and D) and only on the 91D and then the SF3 the skypointer is not moving as in your picture. The skypointer stays below the 0 bank angle mark.

Other question: how do I get some more drag when flaps are full, because in real life you need a lot more power to stay in the air than in the sim model.
I tried already to change some figures in the [flaps] section of the cfg file.
Changed drag_scalar from 0.7 to 1.2 but not much difference till now.

Next remark: When I fly half power and move the pitch handle from let's say 2400rpm to 2200 rpm the engine sound increases in stead of decreases. And visa versa.
This happens on the SF3 module. Didn't try the others till now.

Regards, Sjoerd
Hi again,

1. Ok, I'll lift up a bit pitch indicator on Artificial Horizon.
2. I need to contact Andrey about it.
3. Bug with sound increase it's MSFS 2004 bug. Sorry, but I can't do anything with it :(
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

Jure

Post by Jure » 30 Sep 2006, 20:16

Sjoerd,

thank you! The readme. txt is now updated as well (thanks Alex!). My mistake, I overlooked it.

As for the battered look... yes, the PH-RLA looks brand new. in fact :)
If you wish, I can send you the two textures without the bumps? 2.1Mb zipped...

Jure

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 30 Sep 2006, 23:22

Hello Jure,

I would like that very much.
I have sent you a PM where you can send the files.

Thanks, Sjoerd