PH-RLA and G-HRLK repaints ready

Everything concerning FS and Aviation in general, and SAAB 91 Safir in particular is discussed here.
Jure

PH-RLA and G-HRLK repaints ready

Post by Jure » 10 Sep 2006, 15:53

More or less, on the PH-RLA a couple of tiny inscriptions are missing (on the fuselage, close to to the tail, bottom), so if anyone has access to hi-res pictures, I'd be grateful to know what is written there. :)

To the Sibwings team: Where can I upload the packages?

Repaints are intended for the SAAB 91D HB-DBL model. For the regular D model, some changes are necessary in the textures...

Regards,
Jure

Kofi

Post by Kofi » 10 Sep 2006, 16:49

Jure,

Incredible!!!! \:D/

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 10 Sep 2006, 18:57

Jure - Oh my!!!!! Wonderful repaints.... I'm looking forward to adding these to my hanger!! Well done indeed.

THANK YOU!!!!! I'll be watching for the download link.

Best wishes,
Steve

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 10 Sep 2006, 19:23

Nice work, Jure!

Waiting for your repaints here: alex@sibwings.com

And if you can, please, make a short description of each model.

Btw, what do you mean by changes in the textures?
Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

Jure

Post by Jure » 10 Sep 2006, 19:48

Alex, great, I will prepare the packages and send them today. :)
Thank you!

Kofi & Steve, thank you for the kind words! :)

With the regular D model the 'hump' behind the cockpit on top of the fuselage isn't correctly painted when using the HB-DBL's S91_texture02_T.bmp. There's an engine 'grill' painted on the HB-DBL, while the other has the 'hump' texture painted on the left part of the grill. The regular model has the right side of the grill mapped on the left side, thus making the space for the 'hump' texture.

Also, the propeller and the two antennas are mapped slightly differently, so a few adjustments are needed.

Nothing big, if there is interest, I can quickly make another S91_texture02_T.bmp for the regular D model. :)

Another thing I noticed... the left cowl flaps cover texture mapping is slightly off at the bottom and there is some color bleed visible when cowl flaps are fully open. Just a little thingie on the otherwise perfect paint kit, it sure doesn't diminish my pleasure of flying (and painting) the Safir. :)

My, I don't fly anything else these days but the Safir and the more I fly, the more I like her. Amazing add-on, wonderful! =D> =D> =D>

Ok, I'm done rambling, better pack everything together and send the files to Alex... :wink:

Jure

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 10 Sep 2006, 20:45

Jure..... Yes I've noticed the same on the paint kit as I "dabble" a little with some painting. (Good cup of coffee and a nice paint-kit is very good therapy in my old age...... Smile)

With that said, however, I learned many years ago..... there are "dabblers" and then there are true "Masters"..... I can tell by your paints already that I'm speaking to a true Master so I'm looking forward to your Masterpiece.

As far as the flying..... You are amazingly correct!! I have been flightsimming for at least 20 years (FS3) and not too many aircraft I've found will hold my interest. They are all good.... but again... some are truly works of art! I've been flying this one since it was released and I'm still in awe each time I crawl into the virtual cockpit. With the IR Tracker..... well.... brings back some of my real flying days and there are not too many FS aircraft that have captured that feeling.

My only problem now is finding WHICH Safir I like the best. (smile)

Best wishes,
Steve

Jure

Post by Jure » 10 Sep 2006, 22:19

Both repaints have been sent to Alex... :)

Håkan: I trust I will find the time to do the repaint you mentioned. It indeed looks beautiful!

Ferror: thanks for the pictures! I hope I got the PH-RLA right. :)

Steve:
I hear ya... :) Coffee, some nice music and Safir paintkit is a great combination. But you know, the true masters are the Sibwings team. I am just a "dabbler"... :wink:

FS3?? I started on a Commodore 64, the first Flight simulator by Sublogic.
Enjoyed Flight Unlimited and Fly! (I and II) for a long time and then finally switched to fs2002 and now fs2004.

I flew paragliders and glider airplanes in real life, but that was a long time ago. Just like you, I enjoy FS9 these days. And I fully agree, the Safir is one of those rare add-ons that give you that warm, fuzzy feeling instantly.
Work of art indeed!

Noticed that you use TrackIR. How is it, I've been eyeing one of them thingies for a while. With the Safir's brilliant and fluid VC it must be a wonderful experience.

Jure

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » 10 Sep 2006, 23:41

Alex Petrochenko
SibWings developer

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 11 Sep 2006, 06:39

Jure - You're paints are WONDERFUL.... and my friend, you can not be called a "dabbler." (smile)

SubLogic... now that's a name I hadn't heard for awhile. I still have all of their add on scenery disk on 5 1/4 1.2 Meg format. (smile) I actually drove back to Champaign Illinois on vacation one year just to visit their main office and pick up their East & West IFR disk sets so I could FINALLY fly coast to coast instead of one of the 5 or 6 areas in FS. (smile)

IR Tracker - I've been flying with it for about a year now... I honestly don't think I could live without it. It would be like trying to fly without a joystick or yoke. I've had no problems and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys FS.

Well.... I was going to paint some tonight..... but instead I think I'll enjoy one of yours instead.

Many thanks once again!!!!!

Best wishes,
Steve

Re: PH-RLA and G-HRLK repaints ready

Post by Guest » 11 Sep 2006, 17:43

Jure wrote:More or less, on the PH-RLA a couple of tiny inscriptions are missing (on the fuselage, close to to the tail, bottom), so if anyone has access to hi-res pictures, I'd be grateful to know what is written there. :)
I do have a few big pictures (Eight megapixel camera :-D ) but none are focussed enough on those particular areas to be able to read what is written there.

Both paints looks nice Jura, but IMHO the orange on the Dutch Saab should be more like the red on the British version. The British one is in fact a former Dutch aircraft that has retained it's original colours after all!
It's a bit like 'dayglow red' that was used on a lot of trainer aircraft those days.
Here's a close up of the nose of the PH-LRA, which (Again IMHO) gives a very good indication of the colour of the aircraft.

Keep up the good work! ;-)

Ferror

Post by Ferror » 11 Sep 2006, 18:02

Hmmm... :?

Posted as a 'guest' again.. Better get used to checking if I'm logged in before posting! :lol:

Jure

Post by Jure » 11 Sep 2006, 18:26

Ferror:
8 megapixels? Wow... :)

Hm, I did make the PH-RLA a tad too orangy, yes. :(
I'll see if I can make it a bit more reddish and update the package.

On the other hand, are you sure that the G-HRLK was not painted? In the attached picture there's a clear difference between the two. If you compare the small red rectangle on the root of the wing to the fuselage colors, they are clearly different. Still, the repaint IS too orange ;)

Steve:
You're very welcome, I had lots of fun painting the bird :)

My, those were the days! Vector graphics and yet it was wonderful! I remember the C-64 floppy drive (a BIG box) actually had more memory than the computer itself!

I remember Champaign Illinois... but I've always considered Kankakee, Il. as my home base for some reason :lol:

Just ordered IR Tracker, by the way...

Enjoy! :)

Jure

snave

Post by snave » 11 Sep 2006, 18:45

Looks like a repaint `in ths style of` rather than pedantically correct to the pantone!

Aircraft also fade over time, depending in how and where they are parked, how and with whatthey are cleaned, even how they are looked at in different light!

The dayglo paints have an active ingredient in the paint that makes them `glo` of flouresce but this is like a radioactive isotope - it fades off over a time, leaving the colour fading from bright orange to a lacklustre red.

Therefore BOTH paints could be accurate - or neither! :D

Great paintjobs anyway, and I look forward to adding them to the Safir stable! :-D
Simon Evans

Ferror

Post by Ferror » 11 Sep 2006, 19:37

I have to agree that the British one has a more faded dayglow, to the point of being just red. The Dutch one has more 'glow' and in bright sunlight even appears to be almost orange. Under normal conditions it appears as a bright red.

The orange does go a bit better with our national colour though. ;-)

It will be fun to try to recreate the aerobatics the real one does at the Dutch airshows. It is flown by a pilot who's a 747 captain, but he flies the Safir for fun. He usually flies together with the 'Fokker Four' team, who fly with the Fokker S.11 trainer.

SGTMAJOR

Post by SGTMAJOR » 12 Sep 2006, 10:36

Jure, I think you'll really like the IR Tracker... as I said.... I don't think I could fly without it now.

Kankakee huh? My wife is actually from down south (Sullivan, IL.) so I've always flown around that area along with Mattoon. I've flown the route so many times from Champaign to Chicago that I know all the navaids (VOR & ADF) by heart. (smile)

Let me know when you get the IR Tracker and what you think of it. The first time I crawled into an open cockpit biplane and could actually lean my head out the side while taxing..... I was sold!!! Ah... the simple pleasures of life. (smile)

Take care,
Steve

Nick C

Post by Nick C » 14 Sep 2006, 17:19

Jure, just wanted to thank you for the "G" :D
Regards,

pulstar

Post by pulstar » 21 Sep 2006, 23:04

Thanks for these wonderfull paintjobs. There is only one thing that needs to be changed. On your PH-RLA paint it says: "Ruksluchtvaartschool" actually it is "Rijksluchtvaartschool" (So ij instead of u) . It's quite a difference if you know dutch :-)

Here's a picture that shows the beauty:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=517758

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Thijs

Jure

Post by Jure » 22 Sep 2006, 08:34

Thijs,

thank you for pointing this out! :)
I will correct it and resend it along with a few other changes I made. Funny, how I never noticed that the "U" was actually "IJ". It is quite obvious in the photos I have found. Hmm... :?

Jure

pulstar

Post by pulstar » 22 Sep 2006, 21:36

Yeah, the Dutch language can be a bit weird ;-) Thanks for your hard and much appreciated work! I'm looking forward flying it!

Cheers,
Thijs

SuredT

Post by SuredT » 24 Sep 2006, 18:06

Hello Jure,

I stumbled across this page via Avsim.
I am one of the owners of the PH-RLA and can send you pictures if you want.

Here some examples. And to give answer on your first question:
On the lefthand side on the tail is written:

MAX. GEW. 1280 K.G.
LEEGGEW. 812 K.G.

And on both sides a little bit more to the aft is written with and arrow pointing downwards

LIFT HERE

Also the interior of the RLA is not correct. There are only 3 seats.
The left aft seat is not there. That space consists out of a table with drawer.
See picture. That is the only one I have. I can make more of it if you want.
But maybe that is for the SW lab team?

Hope this will help,

Sjoerd
Attachments
Detail Saab1.jpg
Detail Saab1.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
Detail Saab2.jpg
Detail Saab2.jpg (119.61 KiB) Viewed 6474 times