Just a great aircraft

Everything concerning SAAB 91 Safir X is discussed here.
pj_3

Re: Just a great aircraft

Post by pj_3 » 29 Jul 2010, 03:25

OK - If the default flight aircraft was saved with the radio masters "off" - there will be no radio or gps with the "B" version. I don't know about the others.. If the default aircraft is saved with the radio masters "on" - then there will be radio & gps. So...
After about ten minutes into the flight - without any issues - I turned off the DC power switch. This turned off the radio & GPS, some lights and the voltmeter showed nothing. I turned it back on and everything came back except the radio & gps. The only way I could get the radio/gps back was to swap the aircraft for the Cessna, do an air start (don't know why) and then swap back to the "B". The radios are then on. S t r a a a n g e..... This does relate to the default setup, but it doesn't explain your quitting after three minutes. Mine doesn't.
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 29 Jul 2010, 03:44

pj_3 wrote:... but it doesn't explain your quitting after three minutes. Mine doesn't.
No, not three minutes, 10-12 minutes. The three minutes was between screenshots.
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 29 Jul 2010, 04:36

This thread has been hijacked big time. Maybe someone could transfer these posts to the proper place.

In the meantime some progress. As an experiment I saved the default 172 with the battery and generator switches ON. Loaded as per usual and because I couldn't be arsed to fly around aimlessly, I sat on the parking ramp just ticking over with the GPS showing.....it was still there after 14 minutes! Not to be lulled into a false sense of yeehah!, I thought maybe it's a distance thing. So I took off and 15 minutes later the GPS was still there! Yeeha! :grin:

But wait; I attempted to turn off the GPS/radio/instruments using the DC switch. It had stopped working! Turning it off would normally turn off the instruments yes? Not this time. :?
My conclusion is this, somewhere in the depths of the .air file is a bit of code that say 'off' when it should say 'on' or vice versa.

I'll have one more go to try whether the DC switch works for ten minutes, if it is so then I'm not going mad it's in the code.

EDIT: Sitting in the parking ramp for 10 minutes and back to it's old tricks.

Thoroughly pissed off with the 91B it's taken enough of my time, I'm deleting it so the temptation to bugger about with it any more will be removed.

Hear that? It's the sound of me washing my hands of it. :evil:
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Andrey
Site Admin

Post by Andrey » 29 Jul 2010, 21:43

Ron Attwood wrote: Three minutes later and I SWEAR I didn't touch nuffin guv, I took this screenie. I was simply flying along enjoying the scenery. Note that the radio is off too.
Check it second time... all good here.

I have supposition that you have some program installed (something like FSUIPC or weather manager) which conflict with Safir, or maybe it's damage settings in fs properties makes electric system fail... no more ideas this moment...

Andrey
We are at facebook: facebook.com/sibwings

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 30 Jul 2010, 00:56

Andrey wrote:
Ron Attwood wrote: Three minutes later and I SWEAR I didn't touch nuffin guv, I took this screenie. I was simply flying along enjoying the scenery. Note that the radio is off too.
Check it second time... all good here.

I have supposition that you have some program installed (something like FSUIPC or weather manager) which conflict with Safir, or maybe it's damage settings in fs properties makes electric system fail... no more ideas this moment...

Andrey
No, FSUIPC. Failures are not enabled..any of them. If they were they would surely affect every aircraft not just the 91B.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 31 Jul 2010, 00:05

I'm hoping this may put me...and you, out of our miseries. I thought I could just put the 91B out of my mind, but no. :( So I downloaded another copy, uninstalled the old one, reinstalled and fired it up. Same deal.

Then, developing the suggestion made by Paul about default flights, I thought I'd go one step back and make the microlite default with the magneto off. Tada! :grin: So far no trouble loading the 91B from within the game either from an airfield scenario or loading straight from the intro screen.

So Paul you were right, it was a default setting problem but WHY, OH WHY ONLY the 91B? There was never any of this nonsense with the 91C or D

I'll put that down to the vagaries of FSX...Dammit!

I have to say though that if I was a developer I'd want to know why, even if only for curiosity's sake. :?

pj_3

Post by pj_3 » 31 Jul 2010, 04:44

heehee! say "Thank you, pj"

Andrey - send me $5.00!

Seriously though - I'm glad that did the trick. I fly the Leonardo MD-80 a couple or three times a week, Ron, and it's the very devil if you don't do that default flight properly. A number of parameters are passed from the default flight to the new aircraft, and if it doesn't see them, or they are off (or on - like fuel controls/levers) they will have some kind of impact on the new aircraft. With the Maddog - it's engines already running: it's fuel levers on: it's "autopilot - autopilot" as the aircraft is loading (black screen with box in the middle): it's sounds (fans) on before the electrics are on.. and so on. That default flight is important if you want to avoid problems. I also run a multiple-choice script to replace the fsx.cfg automatically before it starts fsx. This fixes any corruption issue, whilst giving me a way to pick a "normal" cfg for the PNW, low great visuals for sight-seeing, or I can pick the "Maddog", which will cut back on the exterior graphics, as the 'Maddog eats frames - or I can pick the "original" fsx.cfg before it was changed - or a "test" cfg, wherein I can play with different modifications - like the recent spate of "Bojote" fixes, without screwing up the sim. :smt006
Paul J

Water-cooled i7-2600K@4.8gig, ASUS P8P67 B3 DeLuxe; EVGA GTX580; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt airliner-style yoke and pedals; 6-pack throttle quadrant; TrackIR5 & EZCA; No blurries.[/font][/size]

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 31 Jul 2010, 05:00

Thank you PJ. :grin: