91'D' - EGT Gauge

Everything concerning SAAB 91 Safir X is discussed here.
MarkB

91'D' - EGT Gauge

Post by MarkB » 02 Mar 2009, 20:21

Hi,

I'm wonder if anyone knows anything about the EGT gauge on the civilian 'D' model.

Now, I know what an EGT gauge is supposed to tell me and why I'd use it but I can't figure this one. From what I see it's giving me the EGT of each individual cyclinder on the engine in degrees F. But the temp of each seems to alter drastically.

The first 'cycle' of cylinders 5-1 gives me:

5 = 15 oF
4 = 148 oF
3 = 148 oF
2 = 148 oF
1 = 148 oF

the seond time it cycles through it gives me:

5 = 47 oF
4 = 47 oF
3 = 212 oF
2 = 212 oF
1 = 212 oF

The next cycle returns to the first set, this is at Full Rich at a stand still on the apron (103ft MSL) throttle at idol.

Are the two cycles giving me different information? If so what? They're not Fahrenheit and Celsius anyway.

And why the big differences between cyclinders 5 and 4-1 (first cycle) and 5-4 and 3-1 on the second cycle?

EDIT:
Oh, and when you select Manual Index and click the Step button it doesn't step through the cylinders.

Cheers

Mark

MarkB

Re: 91'D' - EGT Gauge

Post by MarkB » 02 Mar 2009, 20:30

OK, worked one out, I missed the CHT on the gauge too :oops: but why the difference between cylinders? And, isn't the 'D' a four cylinder engine? If so whats the 5th index for on the gauge?

MarkB

Post by MarkB » 02 Mar 2009, 20:49

OK, I'm working this ok myself bit by bit:

The first cycle seems to be CHT with "cylinder" 5 being OAT (in C even though the Gauge says F :? )

The second cycle seems to be EGT, "cylinder" 5 I'm not sure, I thought Oil temp but it doesn't corrospone with the analoge Oil Temp gauge, even if you convert between F and C.

But, I still don't know why I've a massiev difference between cylinder 4 and 3-1 on EGT? Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

MarkB

Post by MarkB » 07 Mar 2009, 08:41

Still no idea on the above...Anyone else?

Voyager30

Post by Voyager30 » 09 Mar 2009, 00:11

There is a fault in the instrument that has been reported to the developers.
As written in previous posts is there one reading per cylinder but one of the values don't read the correct "cylinder" parameter from FSX.
"Cylinder" 5 is the outside temperature (OAT), in one cycle in deg Celsius, and the other "Cylinder" 5 reading is Engine Oil Temp in Deg Celsius.
The other cycles is the Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) and Cylinder Head Temp (CHT) and the reading from the instrument is dependant on which "Unit of measure" you use. If U.S then the temps are in Farenheit, exept the OAT and Oil temp, if you use Hybrid or metric is it in Deg Celsius.

I also think that the other Oil temp gauge on the panel is in Farenheit

Hope this helps out and it's adressed in a Service Pack.

Regards

Gerth