GPS disappears in SafirB

All problems and technical questions concerning our SAAB 91 Safir X are discussed here.
Ron Attwood

GPS disappears in SafirB

Post by Ron Attwood » 10 Jun 2010, 16:27

I bought the Safir a few days ago and after an initial misunderstanding with the 'plane we now get along just dandy! :grin: In fact, I love it!

However! (there is ALWAYS a 'however' :) )In the B version the GPS screen display disappears after 5 minutes into a flight, leaving me lost and going round in circles until I crash! This happens whether a flight plan is loaded or I'm in 'mooching around' mode. This does NOT happen in the C or D models. /scratches head.
I've searched but not found. :(
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

Ron Attwood

Re: GPS disappears in SafirB

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2010, 00:02

Hello lo lo lo Is anybody there there there there? :smt006
Computer: Black box with a bunch of electrical looking stuff inside. Lots of fans and blue lights and it sits there humming away gently and lets me play games on it.

mos

Post by mos » 14 Jun 2010, 01:05

Ron Attwood wrote:Hello lo lo lo Is anybody there there there there? :smt006
Yes but the problem you got I have already mentioned in another treat among other, (change gauges/GPS/air. file/ (rework) aircraft.cfg, and, you will have a great Bird).

MOS

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2010, 02:38

I've just read all your posts Mos and the only reference to GPS I can find is about no reflections. That's not my the problem I have, but thanks for your input. :)

mos

Post by mos » 14 Jun 2010, 04:22

Ron Attwood wrote:I've just read all your posts Mos and the only reference to GPS I can find is about no reflections. That's not my the problem I have, but thanks for your input. :)
That's OK Ron but it's about the same, (find the location of GPS and change to default FSX or payware) and your done, until "maybe" an update.

MOS

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2010, 12:23

Are you saying that the disappearing GPS display is a known bug?

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 14 Jun 2010, 18:00

mos wrote: (find the location of GPS and change to default FSX or payware) and your done, until "maybe" an update.
MOS
That reads easier than it is. All the panel.cfgs are the same for all Safirs. It's got 'big fail' writ large on it if I go poking around stuff I don't understand. I understand your reticence but I can't decipher the cryptic clues. Perhaps someone from Sibwings Support will step in and clear things up! :?

mos

Post by mos » 14 Jun 2010, 23:03

I don't now if your disappearing GPS display is a known bug, (I have shall we say more than on bugs with the safir), maybe you can start clicking around as they mentioned in "Mutleys Hangar" : ( http://www.mutleyshangar.com/features/mutley/safir.htm ) , maybe that's the deal, I don't now (I just changed about everything))
They wrote:
"there is a GPS available by clicking on the glove compartment as well as a knee pad and FS map function by clicking on the maps in the door pockets."
P.S.
"GPS not working without power
Turn on battery or alternator."

If you haven't done it already. -maybe take a look in the user guide there should be included in the Safir X package .

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 15 Jun 2010, 02:21

You would have thought I'd have done all that before posting on the forum wouldn't you? :roll: Silly me! Turn on the battery! Read the manual! :lol:

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 01 Jul 2010, 22:39

Just to show I've not really given up on the 91b, I had a thought! Maybe I'd saved, as default, a plane with the avionics switched off and somehow it was being transferred to the Saab. A vain hope I know but in the spirit of Sherlock Holmes I deleted all my default setups and started again. FSX made a new default 172. I loaded that flight and changed to the 91b from within the sim.

No change! The GPS display (not the window, you understand) still disappeared after 5 minutes. At the same time I noticed that the radio turned off as well and would NOT be turned back on. The little pop up label said 'Power off'

But as everyone is so busy I'll go kick the cat. :roll:
Last edited by Ron Attwood on 03 Jul 2010, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 03 Jul 2010, 04:44

A break through! :grin: It's not possible is it that you're reading my posts and sniggering is it? This evening I found out that if you switch off the DC switch at some point after starting the engine the GPS and the radio stay on!
This is obviously an 'insider knowledge' issue and if I see anyone else with the same problem I shall keep schtum. :wink:

Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood » 04 Jul 2010, 00:24

^^^ That was patently rubbish! :roll: Uninstalled the Safir completely and reinstalled it, guess what? Wrong! The fault is still there. Does no one use the 91B? I can't believe I'm the only one in the world with this F***ing problem!
That's it, there really is no more 91B, it's the C or D in future.
Thank you for listening and goodnight. :smt006

mos

Post by mos » 04 Jul 2010, 05:30

"A break through!"

I was in a short, to tell you:- you lucky "guy" you, but then realised,:

No wait ....

And your next answer/complain, of yours, explains, why I didn't...

wasn't that a great help ?....... :cry:

mos